Generating crazy spin in serves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I'm an intermediate player and I have been playing for the last five years. My biggest weakness is my serve and serve return. I want to fix the serve part for now, the only serves that I have in my kit is a backhand heavy backspin serve and a backhand sidespin/backspin serve. I can serve forehand pendulum but I find that when it's pushed back I'm finding it hard to loop back. Recently I have been trying to develop reverse pendulum serve.

My question is how to generate crazy amount of sidespin and backspin in the reverse pendulum. Is the entire arm/shoulder/elbow and wrist involved in it or only the wrist snap is required? How do you guys generate spin in your serves?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No rules in how to serve. Just imagination and practice. Spend an 30 minuter to an hour after every practice and you will have good serves :) Good luck!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
tableTennisDailyNewb said:
I'm an intermediate player and I have been playing for the last five years. My biggest weakness is my serve and serve return. I want to fix the serve part for now, the only serves that I have in my kit is a backhand heavy backspin serve and a backhand sidespin/backspin serve. I can serve forehand pendulum but I find that when it's pushed back I'm finding it hard to loop back. Recently I have been trying to develop reverse pendulum serve.

My question is how to generate crazy amount of sidespin and backspin in the reverse pendulum. Is the entire arm/shoulder/elbow and wrist involved in it or only the wrist snap is required? How do you guys generate spin in your serves?

Dude, I am going to speak frankly.

You say you have deep issues with serving and serve return, which are in my opinion, costing you major points or at a minimum the advantage in a rally big time...

YET, you want to start developing a friggin' REVERSE SERVE... and develop that serve BEFORE you become competent on how to make it heavy and short, and every possible variation from the FH and BH positions??????

I will provide the standard no-shyt Sherlock free advice for this situation...

LEARN how to become very proficient on the basics of serving and how to use the 3rd ball attack to your advantage FIRST. Learn how to loop underspin long balls, they are the EASIEST attack to learn and execute. You should SMILE big time when you get a long under spin ball back from your serve.

When you get to a point where you are 80% consistent in practice and matches doing that, THEN AT THAT TIME would be a logical time to beging developing the reverse serves and variants as a strategic development objective for the future.

Admin may send the Goon Squad after my azz for being frank. I can say this as serve return and keeping my crouch lose me more points than I should be allowed by law. Everyone needs serve return improvement pretty much.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Dude, I am going to speak frankly.

You say you have deep issues with serving and serve return, which are in my opinion, costing you major points or at a minimum the advantage in a rally big time...

YET, you want to start developing a friggin' REVERSE SERVE... and develop that serve BEFORE you become competent on how to make it heavy and short, and every possible variation from the FH and BH positions??????

I will provide the standard no-shyt Sherlock free advice for this situation...

LEARN how to become very proficient on the basics of serving and how to use the 3rd ball attack to your advantage FIRST. Learn how to loop underspin long balls, they are the EASIEST attack to learn and execute. You should SMILE big time when you get a long under spin ball back from your serve.

When you get to a point where you are 80% consistent in practice and matches doing that, THEN AT THAT TIME would be a logical time to beging developing the reverse serves and variants as a strategic development objective for the future.

Admin may send the Goon Squad after my azz for being frank. I can say this as serve return and keeping my crouch lose me more points than I should be allowed by law. Everyone needs serve return improvement pretty much.
Thanks for the response. My problem is not with looping underspin returns but if I keep serving heavy underspin serves I get a heavier underspin return which makes my loop a lot slower and that can be blocked effectively. You are right that I have to improve my loop a lot more but I feel that if I can serve underspin-sidespin combos and mix them up with topspin-sidespin serves I'd have a easier time with third ball attack rather than trying to lift deep underspin pushes.

My question was about the technique in generating spin, does the the wrist snap generate the spin or is the arm action?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yes I should practise a lot more but my query was about the technique to generate more spin.

Deep, yet very tangential contact in an explosive movement using that surface area that carries the most momentum (usually the blade top).

Reactions: lasta
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes I should practise a lot more but my query was about the technique to generate more spin.

Same answer. I do not think people serve the same, they find out what works. As long as you brush the ball thin and fast at impact it do not matter how you do it. But i do not think spin is the most important stuff, or not the only one. Do not forget deception, placement, variation and that you get a good return. Very difficult to win directly from the serve.

Reactions: whocarez