Olympics 2020 who will represent who

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
She is still going ahead with her lawsuit. From my understanding, as it stands now, for each Gender the USA will send the highest world ranked player, the winner of a trials tournament and if the USA can have 3 athletes, the third will be picked by the High Performance Director. Chen wants all the spots determined by a tournament.

In the past, I could understand automatically sending a player if they were top 15 in the world. However with the current ranking system, I am not a fan of sending the highest ranked player. The rankings are a mess and to even get ranked, you need the permission of the High Performance Director to play in international events. Just look at the rankings of the Chinese who are entered in the Australian Open. Are they an accurate measure of skill level? Also with some of the interesting results of the recent US Closed, players should have a right to fight for spots on the team.
I'm not a fan of using WR to determine an Olympic spot because it's not a strong measure of a player's strength. Plus so few US players even play ITTF tournaments. Actually, I think high perf. committee selection is better but there was so much backlash against it. And I don't think you can force an NGB to create 2 or 3 tournaments for each Olympic spot. Although probable, there's no guarantee that the USA qualifies for all three.

Anyway, right now Juan Liu and Lily Zhang are the two best US players. Wu Yue is virtually guaranteed a spot based on her WR, but has looked unimpressive at Nationals. Amy Wang looks to me to be the third best player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Chen Meng's position in the Olympics has been severely threatened it seems. Her only bargaining chip at the moment is her steady performance on the World Tour (13 titles but no World Cup, Asian Cup, Asian Games, WTTC, Asian Championships, National Championships wins) but her #1 position (1300 pts) has been usurped by SYS (1319pts) after the recently concluded Australian Open, and not to mention her eventual loss to Ishikawa after leading 3-1. There is now the possibility that Sun Yingsha might serve as the third team member and play XD, as evident from this year's national games' XD pairings. Trailing behind only XX/LSW and FZD/DN (first and second seeds respectively), Wang Chuqin/Sun Yingsha are regarded as the third seeds. The other pairs (in seeding order) are Lin Gaoyuan/Wang Manyu, Liang Jingkun/Zhu Yuling, Yu Ziyang/Chen Meng, Zhou Yu/Mu Zi and Zhou Zihao/Chen Xingtong, with CM being the only core player within the women's team not to be paired with another core player from the men's team (although ML's exemption clearly makes it an uneven number). It will also make more sense to bring SYS if both DN and LSW – which is possible given that they are the reigning Olympics and World Champions respectively – are going since the 18 year-old will still be in good form to play Paris 2024 (CM will be 29 by then while SYS only 23) and possibly even the subsequent Olympics (age 27). Just my two-cents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Chen Meng's position in the Olympics has been severely threatened it seems. Her only bargaining chip at the moment is her steady performance on the World Tour (13 titles but no World Cup, Asian Cup, Asian Games, WTTC, Asian Championships, National Championships wins) but her #1 position (1300 pts) has been usurped by SYS (1319pts) after the recently concluded Australian Open, and not to mention her eventual loss to Ishikawa after leading 3-1. There is now the possibility that Sun Yingsha might serve as the third team member and play XD, as evident from this year's national games' XD pairings. Trailing behind only XX/LSW and FZD/DN (first and second seeds respectively), Wang Chuqin/Sun Yingsha are regarded as the third seeds. The other pairs (in seeding order) are Lin Gaoyuan/Wang Manyu, Liang Jingkun/Zhu Yuling, Yu Ziyang/Chen Meng, Zhou Yu/Mu Zi and Zhou Zihao/Chen Xingtong, with CM being the only core player within the women's team not to be paired with another core player from the men's team (although ML's exemption clearly makes it an uneven number). It will also make more sense to bring SYS if both DN and LSW – which is possible given that they are the reigning Olympics and World Champions respectively – are going since the 18 year-old will still be in good form to play Paris 2024 (CM will be 29 by then while SYS only 23) and possibly even the subsequent Olympics (age 27). Just my two-cents.

This all makes sense but there is way too much time till the end of the year and there is a real possibility that Zhu Yuling may get pulled from the World Cup to give Chen Meng a chance given ZYL's own struggles.

It is really murky how the CNT will handle the 3rd spot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
......It is really murky how the CNT will handle the 3rd spot.....

I think for Japan the choice of the third is not easier ....:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
3 teams

China plenty of depth so difficult decisions eg Ma Long injury but I think right now,
Men's Singles - FZ & XX
3rd Team - Ma Long, backup WCQ
Ladie's Singles - CM & SYS
3rd Team - Ding Ning, backup LSW

Japan, team obvious first choices
Men's Singles - Harimoto & Koki
3rd Team - Mizutani, backup MY
Ladie's Singles - Mima & Kasumi
3rd Team - Hirano, backup Hayata

Chinese Taipei lack depth but obvious first choices
Men's Singles - LYJ & CCY
3rd Team CCA, backup LCT
Ladie's Singles - CIC & CZY
3rd team CHT, Backup LHY

Mixed Doubles
China - Xu Xin & Liu Shiwen
Japan - Jun Mizutani & Mima Ito
CT - Lin Yun-ju & Cheng I-Ching

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
3 teams

China plenty of depth so difficult decisions eg Ma Long injury but I think right now,
Men's Singles - FZ & XX
3rd Team - Ma Long, backup WCQ
Ladie's Singles - CM & SYS
3rd Team - Ding Ning, backup LSW

Japan, team obvious first choices
Men's Singles - Harimoto & Koki
3rd Team - Mizutani, backup MY
Ladie's Singles - Mima & Kasumi
3rd Team - Hirano, backup Hayata

Chinese Taipei lack depth but obvious first choices
Men's Singles - LYJ & CCY
3rd Team CCA, backup LCT
Ladie's Singles - CIC & CZY
3rd team CHT, Backup LHY

Mixed Doubles
China - Xu Xin & Liu Shiwen
Japan - Jun Mizutani & Mima Ito
CT - Lin Yun-ju & Cheng I-Ching

You know that XD players must also come from the team right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
OK so under what I said LSW is ineligible?

If so then DN gets removed from team and added as backup

Didn't know, new format in 2020 with adding Mixed to the event

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
CCY decided to leave the national team and thus will not play the Olympic.

Chuang Chih-Yuan is listed to represent Taiwan in the Olympic Team Qualification tournament in January. Maybe he and the national association have reconciled? If that's the case, Chinese Taipei becomes an even stronger contender for a medal in the Olympic team event.

Furthermore, it gives Japan more incentive to select Mizutani over Maharu Yoshimura for the 3rd Olympic spot to keep their top 4 team seeding since Japan would be in danger of dropping below Chinese Taipei if Lin Yun-Ju overtakes Harimoto in WR.

In the January WR, Harimoto will only be ahead of LYJ by 30 WR points, so there's a real danger for Japan to drop to the 5th seed come the 2020 Olympics if Yoshimura is chosen.

CCY is back.jpg

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
For the US wouldn't the top WR players be Kanak and Lily? Can anybody really argue with that? Would you want one of them to miss playing singles because of some random event at a trials?

Let the second spot go to a trials winner. Sounds reasonable to me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
For the US wouldn't the top WR players be Kanak and Lily? Can anybody really argue with that? Would you want one of them to miss playing singles because of some random event at a trials?

Let the second spot go to a trials winner. Sounds reasonable to me.

I'm from Australia, we have literally guaranteed entry in all competition uncluding team event regardless of rankings & quality.

Just want best available go, don't have big names, not to Kanak or Lily callibre, just a team to at least provide some pressure and take few games off some big nations would be nice, no expectations to go deep but to merit the automatic entry should require good level of showing IMO.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi