Olympics 2020 who will represent who

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
CNT men's team is also probably the easiest to predict - ML , XX and FZD. FZD mostly will not play singles and be a good sparring partner for ML and also be asked to mimick Harimoto.

But the most unexpected twist would be if they bring back ZJK from the grave. Ha Ha Ha. Wishful thinking but never gonna happen though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Why wouldn't she feel this way? LSW was #1 and should have pkayed singles in Rio but team politics kept her out. No one can blame DN for taking her chance and I am sure LSW doesn't blame her. DN didn't select herself.

I was responding to the inaccuracies in the translations after watching the original interview. I don't presume to know what LSW actually thinks, just what she did say but was translated wrongly.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Why wouldn't she feel this way? LSW was #1 and should have pkayed singles in Rio but team politics kept her out. No one can blame DN for taking her chance and I am sure LSW doesn't blame her. DN didn't select herself.

No, being World No. 1 doesn't mean jack in China. Same for ML being World No. 1 didn't play in London.

China is a meritocracy. Titles are everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
CNT men's team is also probably the easiest to predict - ML , XX and FZD. FZD mostly will not play singles and be a good sparring partner for ML and also be asked to mimick Harimoto.

Do you really think they will send XX play singles? After his losses against Mizutani in Rio and now Gauzy in WTTC I strongly doubt it. He may even only play mixed doubles event. On the other hand FZD was in final in 2017 and lost to a chinese in 2019.

It's not because XX is having a good period and is ranked number 1 now that all of a sudden he becomes the favourite over FZD to play singles in Tokyo. You need to think of the bigger picture here and not focusing on the last open.

And don't worry FZD will wake up soon he's probably just down atm because of his WTTC "early" loss.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Do you really think they will send XX play singles? After his losses against Mizutani in Rio and now Gauzy in WTTC I strongly doubt it. He may even only play mixed doubles event. On the other hand FZD was in final in 2017 and lost to a chinese in 2019.

It's not because XX is having a good period and is ranked number 1 now that all of a sudden he becomes the favourite over FZD to play singles in Tokyo. You need to think of the bigger picture here and not focusing on the last open.

And don't worry FZD will wake up soon he's probably just down atm because of his WTTC "early" loss.
All chinese players besides ML lost this year to foreigners. But it seems XX worked a lot on his BH and is really tough opponent.
For me ML is certain but currently I would bet on XX.
More interesting is women side. I think CM is really complete player to attend olympics and I would be surprised if she is not included in tokyo singles. Second spot I would give to LSW who is very strong if she not meet SYS :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
But XX lost to foreigners in big matches. Not FZD. This is completly different.

Like I said, you need to think about the bigure picture. XX works his backhand for years now. In 2016 people already said this about his backhand. He's not better now than when he beat ML twice in a row in 2016 in Korean open and another one I can't remember, before Olympics. Did this make him win everything after? Absolutely not.

People just jump to conclusions so fast it's crazy. I would be extremely surprised if they pick XX for singles.
FZD is just too consistent against foreigners. He's just having a bad period. He will bounce back.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
About women singles, be sure they will pick DN. She's the defending champion and won 2017 WTTC. What did CM win? Nothing.

Women's singles - DN and LSW
Men's singles - ML and FZD
What does it mean defending Champion if you are So inconsistent. I think DN has the worst ratio against foreigners. I would never pick her. CM did not win anything particular do far buy she is more reliable then DN. Of course we could talk About WMY or SYS but they still have Time.
XX Yes he lost some matches but he always had some ups and downs. I would bet last olympics Mizutani would easily beat ZJK if they met.
FZD lost too many matches to foreigners for About a year, which he did not used to. Of course he can improve So as LJK or LGY.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
What does it mean defending Champion if you are So inconsistent. I think DN has the worst ratio against foreigners. I would never pick her. CM did not win anything particular do far buy she is more reliable then DN. Of course we could talk About WMY or SYS but they still have Time.
XX Yes he lost some matches but he always had some ups and downs. I would bet last olympics Mizutani would easily beat ZJK if they met.
FZD lost too many matches to foreigners for About a year, which he did not used to. Of course he can improve So as LJK or LGY.

It means you can handle tough situations. Don't worry for DN she will be consistent when needed. WMY or SYS are you serious? Why would they pick a player who never won anything big if they have someone who did? Because of consistency in Pro Tours? One more time, Pro Tours and Majors are totally different, you need to understand that.

"I would bet last olympics Mizutani would easily beat ZJK if they met". Yeyeye speculations again. People already predicted ZJK would lose before the Olympics started. And what happened? ZJK won all his matches against foreigners. Because even if not at his peak form and injured, he has a champion's mentality.

"FZD lost too many matches to foreigners for about a year". A YEAR? Really? Do you have a list of his losses or something? I can't recall Fan losing to foreigners except against JYS a few days ago, Harimoto months ago and Ovtcharov in German Open 2017 lol. Give me facts please.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
FZD has lost to Calderano as well recently.

It means you can handle tough situations. Don't worry for DN she will be consistent when needed. WMY or SYS are you serious? Why would they pick a player who never won anything big if they have someone who did? Because of consistency in Pro Tours? One more time, Pro Tours and Majors are totally different, you need to understand that.

"I would bet last olympics Mizutani would easily beat ZJK if they met". Yeyeye speculations again. People already predicted ZJK would lose before the Olympics started. And what happened? ZJK won all his matches against foreigners. Because even if not at his peak form and injured, he has a champion's mentality.

"FZD lost too many matches to foreigners for about a year". A YEAR? Really? Do you have a list of his losses or something? I can't recall Fan losing to foreigners except against JYS a few days ago, Harimoto months ago and Ovtcharov in German Open 2017 lol. Give me facts please.

Reactions: mrk and Luke James
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Defending champion does mean nothing, at most is just means experience.
But CNT will choose equally important on current form and results.
the last olympics was near 4 years ago.
these "aging" athletes are on the way down and prior to 2016 olympicas, the "champion" did not loose as much to foreigners
Now it is a different story....

as always, never easy to choose the CNT team for Olympics.
so many options that can win Gold, but there is always that but...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I of course prefer some other players outside of china to win Just for making difference, but if I were to choose best players for olympics I would never choose DN, I know she has fighting spirit but sometimes when you play below your level spirit is not enough.
The same considered ZJK last olympics, he had better draw and luckily advance to final, of course it is speculation.
As to FZD for me he does not have fighting spirit, it is not only About foreigners but also other chinese players he started loosing. Of course there is some time, I am Just saying What I think now

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
Defending champion does mean nothing, at most is just means experience.
But CNT will choose equally important on current form and results.
the last olympics was near 4 years ago.
these "aging" athletes are on the way down and prior to 2016 olympicas, the "champion" did not loose as much to foreigners
Now it is a different story....

as always, never easy to choose the CNT team for Olympics.
so many options that can win Gold, but there is always that but...

You're contradicting facts and history.

"Defending champion does mean nothing". Come on. It means experience, mentality, skills, knowledge. It means you've been able to do it, it means basically everything.

"CNT will choose equally important on current form and results". Do you have secret insight in CNt politics? If they choosed equally on current form and results ZJK wouldn't have gone to Rio. If they choosed equally on current form and results ML would've gone to London.

You just don't look at the facts. Instead you're listening to your beliefs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
I of course prefer some other players outside of china to win Just for making difference, but if I were to choose best players for olympics I would never choose DN, I know she has fighting spirit but sometimes when you play below your level spirit is not enough.
The same considered ZJK last olympics, he had better draw and luckily advance to final, of course it is speculation.
As to FZD for me he does not have fighting spirit, it is not only About foreigners but also other chinese players he started loosing. Of course there is some time, I am Just saying What I think now

Ok but it's not up to you to decide and saying ZJK was lucky to advance to the finals, excuse me but no, you can't say that. Don't forget he won JYS who had chances to beat ML.

FZD has one of the best fighting spirit of the chinese team lol he just temporarily lost it.

And once again don't worry for DN she will up her level when needed she is only 28 or 29 years old.

Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
I know I will write only speculations now but I want to tell my opinion:

There is still one year left to the olympics. But imagine is it necessary to choose DN for the single spot? I do not think so. Why? IMO her physical abilities are declining due to her age and consequently she will be not able to execute the best strategies. She does not need a double grand slam. I do not think that she wrote on her list "Surpass Zhang Yining at the age of 30". Look at Li Xiaoxia. She played her last olympic and at this time she was 28 and retired a few months later. The team spot is enough for her. She contributed extremely much for the CNT and her time will approach to retire after olympics next year.

And I see that CM is highly pumped and on fire in order to get the singles spot. Her abilities are getting better and better and the year 2019 will be in my eyes an essential basis for the selection for Tokyo.

According to the FZD-XX singles spot question. If we look at the results of the big tournaments FZD would get the chance. Or there can be an exception. Maybe Liu Guoliang can give him the last chance. This case also occured when Liu Shiwen was selected for the WTTC. She mentioned in a documentary that she is glad that LGL gave her the chance.

But we will see anything can happen

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
You're contradicting facts and history.

"Defending champion does mean nothing". Come on. It means experience, mentality, skills, knowledge. It means you've been able to do it, it means basically everything.

"CNT will choose equally important on current form and results". Do you have secret insight in CNt politics? If they choosed equally on current form and results ZJK wouldn't have gone to Rio. If they choosed equally on current form and results ML would've gone to London.

You just don't look at the facts. Instead you're listening to your beliefs.

hm.. Yes, i do have insight
and yes I am listening to my belief

or maybe they should just send ZJK and ML for the next 3 olympics to come, since they all have experience to win gold

no matter who they send, there is always risk of failure
it doesn't mean what they did the previous time was correct.
This gamble is just getting more and more wider as the gaps are getting more and more narrow - partial got to do with rule change/ball change/2NOC change

being a candidate of olypmic will need to have all of the experience, mentality, skills, knowledge you list.
of course they won't send a rookie in.
FZD, XX, LSW, CM, ZYL all have never been there, are you saying that are not good enough to get the job done?

There is risk of aging player
there is risk of younger player
maybe they will send 2 old players (making it the oldest age CNT player at olympic history for them)
or maybe they will send 1 old and 1 young

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I know I will write only speculations now but I want to tell my opinion:

There is still one year left to the olympics. But imagine is it necessary to choose DN for the single spot? I do not think so. Why? IMO her physical abilities are declining due to her age and consequently she will be not able to execute the best strategies. She does not need a double grand slam. I do not think that she wrote on her list "Surpass Zhang Yining at the age of 30". Look at Li Xiaoxia. She played her last olympic and at this time she was 28 and retired a few months later. The team spot is enough for her. She contributed extremely much for the CNT and her time will approach to retire after olympics next year.

And I see that CM is highly pumped and on fire in order to get the singles spot. Her abilities are getting better and better and the year 2019 will be in my eyes an essential basis for the selection for Tokyo.

According to the FZD-XX singles spot question. If we look at the results of the big tournaments FZD would get the chance. Or there can be an exception. Maybe Liu Guoliang can give him the last chance. This case also occured when Liu Shiwen was selected for the WTTC. She mentioned in a documentary that she is glad that LGL gave her the chance.

But we will see anything can happen

4 to 6 years ago I said there is a huge chance XX and LSW will never see Olympic singles.
IMO Ding Ning form will determine if LSW sees it.
XX I don't think will see it

The coming months will be crucial for all of these older players to justify selection.
The womens team has many young players knocking on the door (as per always - the womens then to mature at a younger age while mens other than Ma Long and FZD wasn't the case as regularly)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
Read 2 reviews
hm.. Yes, i do have insight
and yes I am listening to my belief

or maybe they should just send ZJK and ML for the next 3 olympics to come, since they all have experience to win gold

no matter who they send, there is always risk of failure
it doesn't mean what they did the previous time was correct.
This gamble is just getting more and more wider as the gaps are getting more and more narrow - partial got to do with rule change/ball change/2NOC change

being a candidate of olypmic will need to have all of the experience, mentality, skills, knowledge you list.
of course they won't send a rookie in.
FZD, XX, LSW, CM, ZYL all have never been there, are you saying that are not good enough to get the job done?

Don't start putting words in my mouth.

I never said current form isn't important. But everyone knows that looking at the facts and history, results are the most important.
No one cares about your beliefs, only facts matter.

If you haven't understand what I'm saying yet, please read my posts again or get a good sleep and think about it tomorrow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Don't start putting words in my mouth.

I never said current form isn't important. But everyone knows that looking at the facts and history, results are the most important.
No one cares about your beliefs, only facts matter.

If you haven't understand what I'm saying yet, please read my posts again or get a good sleep and think about it tomorrow.

and who are you again??? lol

you should reread my very details explanation. and if you can't, then tough luck for you

with your logic, only 1 person can go to Tokyo from China - the one person with GOLD Medal because only Ding Ning and Ma Long has results and that is the most important.
If Ding Ning becomes number 10 in China, she must still go.

you really need to see beyond past results.
think outside the box

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hey guys I think Ding ning will be in Olympic because CNT send a player who has experienced olympic and it will be her . For sure CNT will work on her weakness and bad form to turn her to a warrior again for Tokyo , If it wont work Cheng meng can be a very safe candidate for the spot along side LSW .