Flexible blade hard rubbers, even for looper?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There are a lot of opinions with out any facts to back them up.
An obvious question is how hard is hard? Can the rubber be too hard?
Why would a hard rubber have a higher "throw angle"?
If the rubber is very hard the ball will not sink into the rubber very far. Where there be enough friction while looping?
I believe there is a Goldilocks zone for rubbers. Too hard and too software are not good. What is best is a personal opinion but I doubt is a rubber that is too soft or too hard.

This user has no status.
There are a lot of opinions with out any facts to back them up.
An obvious question is how hard is hard? Can the rubber be too hard?
Why would a hard rubber have a higher "throw angle"?
If the rubber is very hard the ball will not sink into the rubber very far. Where there be enough friction while looping?
I believe there is a Goldilocks zone for rubbers. Too hard and too software are not good. What is best is a personal opinion but I doubt is a rubber that is too soft or too hard.

Well, I have to thank you for making all of us look to be stupid

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
You speak for everyone?
I gave a like to LordPippington's post above.
I only asked questions. If you feel stupid, that is your problem. Finding the answers is the cure.
A: that was just a joke :)
B:these are indefinite quantities that you ask us to define, like hardness
C:I believe as far as I know, hard Chinese rubbers have insanely low throw angle(according to pingsunday.com)
D: too soft might not be good. Too hard, maybe somewhere around 50-53 degrees is okay for a type of blade like viscaria
E: apology if you found me impolite:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Is this Azalea I see you mention often the one offered by stiga with pink stripe handle? How does this blade play compared to Acoustic? I see almost no reviews on the blade but I do like the description of it.
I currently use Azalea Allround with Yasaka Rakza 7 rubber on both sides. Even thought it is ALL/ALL+ blade, I can get good fast topspin from both sides with sufficient technique. Control is superb, never felt that good when blocking. I strongly suggest buying Allround or Offensive, great blade. Only con I can say is that initially it was difficult for me to get used to thin handle it has. But you'll get used to it with time :).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I don't understand why harder rubber mean higher throw.
Also i don't get why a pretty hard and fast blade like Viscaria need a very hard rubber. I always thought best combo is soft+hard or hard+soft

Also i don't get why a pretty hard and fast blade like Viscaria need a very hard rubber. I always thought best combo is soft+hard or hard+soft

About rubbers and throw - did you read the link in #17? Its very well explained there. Any other explanation would be juct a citation of that.

About combos - there is no such thing as Best Combo, its all about personal style and preferences, and synergy between the player and the combo. Whats best for you may be worst for others. But if you want to find your bets, you have to be acknowledged with the basic characteristics and the general effects of the way different systems interact. The "rubber" is a sytem, the blade is a system, and the combo is a system of those two systems. The player + the combo is a very complex system. Try to know your systems.

This user has no status.

The first part is right
But the second part isn't. As we look at CNT players, the majority of'em use viscaria with dhs hurricane rubber which is a solid rock and tenergy/dignics on the backhand which are faster than hurricane.
Even if you don't understand the reason, looking at the bests should somehow help you realize that

This user has no status.
I currently use Azalea Allround with Yasaka Rakza 7 rubber on both sides. Even thought it is ALL/ALL+ blade, I can get good fast topspin from both sides with sufficient technique. Control is superb, never felt that good when blocking. I strongly suggest buying Allround or Offensive, great blade. Only con I can say is that initially it was difficult for me to get used to thin handle it has. But you'll get used to it with time :).

This is great info. Thanks. Out of curiosity, what other blades have you used before? I was wondering if your statement regarding control and block is reflective of your experiences on other blades you've used.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Watch the All about Tenergy videos and read articles. There used to be a really good blog that explained it. Basically, throw is not consistent at different degrees of impact. Moreover, harder rubber could mean harder topsheet or harder sponge. Harder sponge is mostly faster and hence lower throw, though there are swing speed ranges where bottoming out will lead to it having higher throw than softer sponge. Harder topsheet with denser pimple configurations usually means higher throw, as the ball tends to more precisely follow the trajectory of the stroke, though here again, swing speed/contact depth has some importance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I don't get all these discussions about why you should put hard rubber or flexible blade and vice versa or what not.

Use something that you like playing with and if you play well with it and win matches, you're golden.

Some of my friends love using their super flexible ZLF blade with super soft rubbers. I like using hard fast blade with hard spinny rubber. We don't get each other preference but we don't need to, it's just our preference in the end.

Reactions: brokenball
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't get all these discussions about why you should put hard rubber or flexible blade and vice versa or what not.

Use something that you like playing with and if you play well with it and win matches, you're golden.

Some of my friends love using their super flexible ZLF blade with super soft rubbers. I like using hard fast blade with hard spinny rubber. We don't get each other preference but we don't need to, it's just our preference in the end.

It is because people read/watched EmRatThich'a regurgitation of a Japanese article and felt it was some kind of gospel. They also don't know what pros actually use and why they use them and think what applies to pros should apply to them.

Whenever someone talks about pros using hard rubber, I remind them that Emanuel Lebesson exists.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
It is because people read/watched EmRatThich'a regurgitation of a Japanese article and felt it was some kind of gospel. They also don't know what pros actually use and why they use them and think what applies to pros should apply to them.

Whenever someone talks about pros using hard rubber, I remind them that Emanuel Lebesson exists.

Those hard rubbers are ridiculously hard to use. I don't even know why people want to use MX-P 50 because regular MXP is simply more than fast, spinny and stable enough.

In plastic ball era, your spin and speed don't mean too much if you can't do it 3-4 times in a row

Grubba is slower and i cwn say azalea off seem to be bouncier than korbel sometimes. Think of an upgraded off classic. I emphasize on azalea because for me this is the best 5 ply blade in the market now that is all wood and in terms of balance with speed, feel and control

QUOTE=iamsan;278945]Yogi u often mention the azaleas. I do play Grubba and do plan to switch on Korbel cause both same? Composition.
Where is else the difference between both?
@topic. Nobody explained to me why hard rubbers are better for looping. In my opinion softer rubber are more consistent because u get mostly the same output as well as the sponge is easier tonl engage. I don't talk about ultra soft but medium soft on bh and medium on fh[/QUOTE]