Looking for good flexible blade

This user has no status.
Hey everyone. I'm actually looking for a good offensive flexible blade to play tacky rubber on the forehand and tensor rubber(say donic bluestorm z1 turbo) on the backhand.
I've seen donic OTC and butterfly ALC blades and maybe even stiga carbonado or dynasty blades. Money doesn't matter because I got enough for it, but quality is a matter. Could you please help?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Stiga OC, Xiom Offensive S. All these ALC blades are rather stiff, 1400+ on the frequency measures.

This user has no status.
I'd rather have a carbon blade. I already have an Ovtcharov true carbon, from 2 years ago but in time, blades get softer. By flexible, I'm not exactly sure if the blades you said are hard enough to provide speed or not. Because I'm looking for a Chinese playstyle mainly.
Either way, thanks for the guide and if you get any idea of what I'm after, that'll be very nice of you to let me know :)

This user has no status.
And BTW, is there a major difference between viscaria and zjk alc???
I've heard about that zjk is faster but I'm afraid of the lack of feeling
And I know my questions are irritating because it seems like I'm not knowledgeable at all, so sorry about that :/
But I'm going to buy a new set of racket(previous: donic true carbon+acuda p1 turbo fh and p1 BH) and Im not spending my own money, but my dad's doing it. So I wanna make sure I don't waste money, and let everyone down.
So with that being said, I'm sorry to bother all of ya :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What level and playing style are you? These questions are good to answer before giving any advice on equipment.

And I know my questions are irritating because it seems like I'm not knowledgeable at all, so sorry about that :/
But I'm going to buy a new set of racket(previous: donic true carbon+acuda p1 turbo fh and p1 BH) and Im not spending my own money, but my dad's doing it. So I wanna make sure I don't waste money, and let everyone down.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

Questions are not irriating, and it seems to me you genuinely want to find a decent set up. No shame in that at all.

But asking for a good flexible blade is very simply too broad of a topic, and you will get a lot of recommendations without much meaningful insight. If you want an objective suggestion, please tell us about what you like and don't like about your Donic. Try to be as detailed as you can about the shortcomings of the Donic and what you would like in your new blade?

Try to decribe your preferences in the following areas:

Performance:
-Low impact speed (pushing, blocking, flicking)
-High impact speed (smashing, full effort loops/drives)
-Do you want it to be overall faster or slower than the donic?

Basic characteristic:
-Stiffness
-Hardness (on low impact)
-Solidity/density (on high impact)
-Weight

Feel (this part gets very subjective):
-On low impact shots, do you want springy and snappy feel or precise and linear?
-On high impact shots, do you want the blade to "envolope" the ball (ie Xiom describes it as "captive" feeling) or do you want to feel as if something is pushing hard against the ball (Xiom calls "repulsive").
-General feedback on impact (sharp or dull, crisp or marshmallowy?)
-Do you want to feel exactly where the ball contacts on off-center impact, or do you want a more uniform sensation even slightly miss-hit (ie large or small sweetspot)

Some areas have to be sacrificed for emphasis on others. Again, tell us which areas are most to least important to you.

So far I can gather that you prefer something moderately flexible (duh!), decent speed, but without sacrificing feeling. But feeling is subjective, and some people prefer the dull/dampened feel provided by carbon blades. Try to answer more detailed and you will get a much more suited suggestion.

Just a disclaimer, it took me more than a dozen blades to find out exactly what I want and after another 5-6 blades, I'm still "calibrating" the perfect set up. At the end of the day, something middle of the road is more than adequate until you know exactly what you want next (ie anything from the recommendations already, especially the Ma Lin Soft Carbon).

Last edited:
Reactions: alas26
This user has no status.
Yeah sure
So, basically, I'm looking for a bit more speed and lower trajectory
And by flexible blade I mean the range of something around viscaria,if that gives you any idea of what im looking for
I also look for a bit woodier feeling(like dynasty carbon xu xin) and sweet spot definitely matters.
Pushing isn't that big of a deal, I guess I just push to get the ball across the net :|
And I feel a sharp impact (if that means flatter shot) suits me better
Maybe somewhere between sharp and Crisp is perfect.
When blocking, I believe I like kind of an all-round style like waldner and I'd rather have precision than speed
And a very important part of my work is BH flip(Idk flip or flick) to return the serve.
Why was I unhappy with my donic setup?
I guess, for the most part, it was the brand name(I know, very childish :|) but also, I feel like I'm kinda tired of running the same setup for such a long time and I'd like to have a change, regarding the fact that I couldn't improve as much as I expected with it(obviously, I should blame myself as well).
And I think BH flip/flick to return serves wasn't that good despite the solid technique and it wasn't making a direct shot like I wished(I believe for the most part, it was because of the rubber)
I also care about the "kick effect" and want it to be as much as possible(I don't have the link, but you could Google it and read about it in pingsunday.com in case you don't know it)
I already have some blades that I picked and chose as I'm not too familiar with brands other than donic, stiga, bty, and dhs:
Hurricane long v(not sure if it's supper hard or just okay, based on what I described)
Hurricane King 3
Zhang Jike ALC
Garaydya ALC
Freitas ALC
Carbonado 190
Dynasty carbon Xu Xin
Ma Long carbon(from nittaku and dhs)
Ice cream azx i(not sure if hybrid helps for a player around average)
-I play in short or medium ranges from the table with a speed oriented playstyle.
-just hate Boll ALC because it's everywhere and doesn't feel good to have something that others have
-not a fan of all-wood blades
-weight isn't important
-playing with FL handle
-looking for Chinese tacky rubber on the forehand ( I guess hurricane 8/xiom omega 7 Asia)
-looking for a tensor rubber on the backhand(probably q5 or dignics or mantra m or xiom omega 7 tour). I know that ain't relevant to this conversation but I guess you could also suggest one of these rubbers for making the complete setup.
- I really wish to try something new, so please don't tell: if your happy with the previous blade, then keep it going xD
-my English isn't the best as I'm Persian and I couldn't get into the details as much as expected because of that :/
-I understand that ALC blades are pretty similar, but I guess there has to be a slight difference that helps me buy the correct one in case on of those is your recommendation for me.
- I ain't sure about the feeling and dwell time of zlc and super zlc blades. But, if those are okay, I'd be glad to know about it.
-Thanks for answering a person whom you may find so freakin' ignorant :|

says Footwork footwork footwork
How about Nittaku Violin?

Or, if you’re on a budget, Yasaka Sweden Classic (under $30).

Both setups not very fast, but super flexible and great for generating spin and looping. Great for controlled, confident attacks.

Edit: I just read your recent post, my suggestions might be too slow for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
There some some contradictions in your preferences. From what I gather, you would like:

High speed + low trajectory

Flex similar to Viscaria - Viscaria is a high-stiffness blade, frequency of 1400-low 1500s, not very flexible. Your OTC is mid 1500s, even stiffer.

Woody feeling, but don't like all wood blades - why not?

Sharp and Crisp - Viscaria and OTC are sharp, but not crisp - composites will never feel as crisp as all wood due to the very pronounced vibration dampening properties.

Blocking precision and high kick effect - These 2 are possible but rare, only seen in blades with very hard outer plies. Generally linear blades have more precision, high kick blades have less.

If you don't mind an all wood blade, I would recommend you either the Cornilleau Gatien Absolum (Calderano and Gauzy's blade), or stiga Ebenholz.

Fast + low throw, slightly more flex than Viscaria, sharp and very crisp loud woody sound (I mean night and day difference type of crisp vs the Viscaria types), great low impact blocking precision and noticeable high kick effect (very pronounced inflection point), kicky, but less so than viscaria (unfortunately, no all wood blades can compare to carbon in the kick department). Only con is slightly slower than Viscaria on the high end (ie smashing). If you don't mind giving up the crisp and feeling part. You can try the Yasaka Ebony carbon, faster, hard, sharp, high kick, but dull feeling.

I can also recommend the very different Butterfly Mazunov. Faster all around, about the same speed level of the viscaria on low-mid impact, but even faster on smashing (one of the fastest all woods). Low trajectory. Very stiff (for all all wood) but flexier than your OTC (about the same level as viscaria). Hard, sharp, crisp all wood feel. One of the best precise blocking blades ever made. Very suitable for a speed oriented player, and aggressive loopers (I think Patrick Francizka uses this). But more linear, and less "kicky" than the viscaria.

Other than that, you can just get a viscaria-like blade that is not viscaria: Xiom Stradivarius, Andro Treiber. ZJK ALC is right there. Freitas has limba instead of koto, so might be slightly less sharp. I tried the Ice Cream very briefly, hard and sharp blade but not crisp, actually even more dull than the viscaria. Note, these will not be very different from your OTC.

Note, I have a VERY strong aversion to anything in a blade that dulls sensation, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Like I said, if you tell us what playing level you are you will get better responses and help. It's unwise to put a W968 in the hands of a beginner, and a premade bat in the hands of a pro. So what level are you?

Yeah sure
So, basically, I'm looking for a bit more speed and lower trajectory
And by flexible blade I mean the range of something around viscaria,if that gives you any idea of what im looking for
I also look for a bit woodier feeling(like dynasty carbon xu xin) and sweet spot definitely matters.
Pushing isn't that big of a deal, I guess I just push to get the ball across the net :|
And I feel a sharp impact (if that means flatter shot) suits me better
Maybe somewhere between sharp and Crisp is perfect.
When blocking, I believe I like kind of an all-round style like waldner and I'd rather have precision than speed
And a very important part of my work is BH flip(Idk flip or flick) to return the serve.
Why was I unhappy with my donic setup?
I guess, for the most part, it was the brand name(I know, very childish :|) but also, I feel like I'm kinda tired of running the same setup for such a long time and I'd like to have a change, regarding the fact that I couldn't improve as much as I expected with it(obviously, I should blame myself as well).
And I think BH flip/flick to return serves wasn't that good despite the solid technique and it wasn't making a direct shot like I wished(I believe for the most part, it was because of the rubber)
I also care about the "kick effect" and want it to be as much as possible(I don't have the link, but you could Google it and read about it in pingsunday.com in case you don't know it)
I already have some blades that I picked and chose as I'm not too familiar with brands other than donic, stiga, bty, and dhs:
Hurricane long v(not sure if it's supper hard or just okay, based on what I described)
Hurricane King 3
Zhang Jike ALC
Garaydya ALC
Freitas ALC
Carbonado 190
Dynasty carbon Xu Xin
Ma Long carbon(from nittaku and dhs)
Ice cream azx i(not sure if hybrid helps for a player around average)
-I play in short or medium ranges from the table with a speed oriented playstyle.
-just hate Boll ALC because it's everywhere and doesn't feel good to have something that others have
-not a fan of all-wood blades
-weight isn't important
-playing with FL handle
-looking for Chinese tacky rubber on the forehand ( I guess hurricane 8/xiom omega 7 Asia)
-looking for a tensor rubber on the backhand(probably q5 or dignics or mantra m or xiom omega 7 tour). I know that ain't relevant to this conversation but I guess you could also suggest one of these rubbers for making the complete setup.
- I really wish to try something new, so please don't tell: if your happy with the previous blade, then keep it going xD
-my English isn't the best as I'm Persian and I couldn't get into the details as much as expected because of that :/
-I understand that ALC blades are pretty similar, but I guess there has to be a slight difference that helps me buy the correct one in case on of those is your recommendation for me.
- I ain't sure about the feeling and dwell time of zlc and super zlc blades. But, if those are okay, I'd be glad to know about it.
-Thanks for answering a person whom you may find so freakin' ignorant :|

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
BTW the Stiga Clipper Rosewood 7 (CRW 7) may theoretically tick all your boxes. Similar to the Absolum but faster. I haven't tried this one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Ok then, with practice you could handle a Viscaria/W968. If you really want a taste of that feeling and speed I'd go for a H301 which is a great quality blade and considering a very cheap blade and buy something more expensive later on.

I'm just average, maybe slightly a bit above average

Last edited: