Short Topspin Serve with Pendulum Motion

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I wholeheartedly agree on keeping it real. If one is not honest about themselves there will be no real improvement and development. It can sting to accept weaknesses but it's absolutely necessary and it's the road to success.

I don't think I ever said great player. When I am being reflective, I really mean that critics should give some evidence of their play or some perspective of their experience so others can see where they are coming from. I will accept coaching experience too, I have seen adults who can't play that well develop kids or adults so they can be very insightful. But few of them would make a post like fruitloop's because they know either from coaching or experience what things are important and what things are not and how easy it is to diagnose but how hard it is to convey solutions.

Either you have experience improving yourself or you have experience improving others or both. Experience improving adults is even a class by itself. And a lot of my perspective on posts like fruitloop comes from taking people who I never should have taken seriously seriously in my early years of internet posting. Those posts left me trying things I should never have tried.

In any case, I appreciate your intervention. It's not the first time that fruitloop and I have clashed over something like this and I suspect it won't be the last.

I ultimately don't care whether someone is a good player or not. I just find that when people have talked about their background or posted video, they tend to be far more humble on forums. fruitloop is not the first person to go around this forum pretending to know stuff he doesn't really practice. In most cases, I just do the best I can to make people keep it real and humble.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
More thin contact. This is almost like a short, slow, version of a long fast serve if you get my meaning.

Also your body moves towards the ball but then stops just before contact. Try to carry your body motion into the ball.

I don't think I ever said great player. When I am being reflective, I really mean that critics should give some evidence of their play or some perspective of their experience so others can see where they are coming from. I will accept coaching experience too, I have seen adults who can't play that well develop kids or adults so they can be very insightful. But few of them would make a post like fruitloop's because they know either from coaching or experience what things are important and what things are not and how easy it is to diagnose but how hard it is to convey solutions.

Either you have experience improving yourself or you have experience improving others or both. Experience improving adults is even a class by itself. And a lot of my perspective on posts like fruitloop comes from taking people who I never should have taken seriously seriously in my early years of internet posting. Those posts left me trying things I should never have tried.

In any case, I appreciate your intervention. It's not the first time that fruitloop and I have clashed over something like this and I suspect it won't be the last.

I ultimately don't care whether someone is a good player or not. I just find that when people have talked about their background or posted video, they tend to be far more humble on forums. fruitloop is not the first person to go around this forum pretending to know stuff he doesn't really practice. In most cases, I just do the best I can to make people keep it real and humble.

Sorry. One thing. In fairness. Perhaps there is background that I am missing. But I don't see FruitLoops comment as anything bad. Perhaps it can be worded better. I also may not agree with all of it. But to me it looks like he is simply trying to give details to refine the serve in the video.

How different people explain things sometimes may have to do with the ability to take the time to explain in detail.

But the main elements I see in FruitLoop's comment are:

1) See if you can try to get a thinner brush contact.

2) It looks to me like you are trying to do a long serve and just make it slower to make it shorter. Do you understand what I mean.

3) See if you can continue the followthrough with the body. To me it looks like you are pulling back a bit too early.

That is me paraphrasing what it sounds to me like FruitLoop meant. What I don't see in it is arrogance or insults about Perham or his abilities. His comment was short. But I don't see a bad intention in it.

I understand that there are times when someone makes comments about someone else's play that are just awful. Right now I am thinking of Archo telling someone several levels better than him how, "Back when I was as bad as you are...." But I really am not hearing that from FruitLoop. I am just reading a comment that was quick and did not flesh out all the details FruitLoop was attempting to allude to.

Anyway. Perhaps you guys can play nice with each other. I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sorry. One thing. In fairness. Perhaps there is background that I am missing. But I don't see FruitLoops comment as anything bad. Perhaps it can be worded better. I also may not agree with all of it. But to me it looks like he is simply trying to give details to refine the serve in the video.

How different people explain things sometimes may have to do with the ability to take the time to explain in detail.

But the main elements I see in FruitLoop's comment are:

1) See if you can try to get a thinner brush contact.

2) It looks to me like you are trying to do a long serve and just make it slower to make it shorter. Do you understand what I mean.

3) See if you can continue the followthrough with the body. To me it looks like you are pulling back a bit too early.

That is me paraphrasing what it sounds to me like FruitLoop meant. What I don't see in it is arrogance or insults about Perham or his abilities. His comment was short. But I don't see a bad intention in it.

I understand that there are times when someone makes comments about someone else's play that are just awful. Right now I am thinking of Archo telling someone several levels better than him how, "Back when I was as bad as you are...." But I really am not hearing that from FruitLoop. I am just reading a comment that was quick and did not flesh out all the details FruitLoop was attempting to allude to.

Anyway. Perhaps you guys can play nice with each other. I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Will do. I was a bit too sensitive to what I perceived to be bad coaching. Everyone has a right to post what they want and I should let the reader judge (after all, I didn't end up in hospital after taking all the bad advice seriously, though my TT did get derailed for a few years).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The long side top serve into the body is more effective anyway. If people read the short topspin they get in fast and smack the hell out of it, because it's hard to get short, topspin, and low on the same ball. You can have any two out of the three pretty easy, but all three is hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Good advice all-round. I tried to incorporate some, but now my serve looks like a shovel serve a bit.

Hi Perham
I watched your vid.
and my comments are as follows:-
as it stands yr serve is top but not very short, and not disguised at all. Instead use pure side brush with racket leaning back or forward.
1: to change your existing serve to go short with topspin:-
try to let yr racket face hang down vertically from your hand, and get your head directly over the racket and ball at contact (so that you can see contact) and execute the pendulum contact just trying for sidespin and ensuring a very light contact. If experiment with varying this by leaning the handle over the contact (side-top) or leaning handle back from contact (side-chop) In your vid your handle leans back but is not true pendulum and so it becomes difficult to keep it short. Instead just use pure pendulum brush for sidespin experimenting with racket vertical or leaning back or forward

Good luck

ppp
moristo sp
yin he galaxy 1 ply

Last edited: