safety when playing doubles

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If the situation is that you are attempting to make a play on the ball, but your doubles partner is trying to hit the ball twice in succession, then of course your doubles partner is wrong (and anyone else who does that) and the same courses of action are available.

Personally, I just wouldn't play doubles with these types unless my expectations are to only goof off and get hit frequently as a way to let the others enjoy. Usually, my expectations are not like that, so I would just declare an urgent 30 minute bathroom break requiring extensive decontamination operations. That would get me out of that mess (doubles) and out of the gym easily.

Sometimes in doubles, if opponent hits one right back at me where my doubles partner didn't have a chance, I would hit it back in tribute and say good point. If I am behind and doubles player goes in front and takes a swing and misses, sometimes I hit it back and say great shot (name of doubles partner) and other side saw me hit that for sure we are giving up the point and having a giggle.

What OP is describing is that OP is getting whacked by doubles partner that has brain wired the wrong way. There is no USB cable that can be plugged into that type to upload new firmware. No fixing that, just find a way to walk away, most other courses of action gunna get mud on you too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
OK, thanks for answering that question. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of people who occasionally misjudge and think their partner can't get it when they can - and occasional mistakes can be enough for a serious accident. I do agree that I should stop playing with anyone who repeatedly clashes bats with me, even if no injury has been caused yet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
There is one person who keeps causing problems, and I won't play with him again. But there are several other people who have clashed with me once. One of those left me with a bleeding thumb last week, and another one had her bat knocked out of her hand by me a few weeks ago, and it went flying towards the next table. Another person who tried to take my shot got hit on the arm and spent a while rubbing it. So I don't want to wait until each person clashes with me repeatedly before deciding to treat it as an issue. I want to stop people hitting my shots before we have any clashes and potential injuries.

The way you explain it it seems like it will always be like that.
You have to train how to play doubles before you start to play doubles.
Its not about the rules only, its about movement, footwork, tactics and eventually putting personal style limitations.
Otherwise it really may be very dangerous for all players.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl and Der Echte are completely misunderstanding what is happening. I am not being over-competitive or harming less mobile players. I am reaching to hit the ball, and being hit for it. Often I am not even moving my feet or extending my arm anywhere close to straight. I have no reason to anticipate that I am about to be hit and that I need to back off. I am playing in a 'social' way and they are not. I have seen exactly the same thing that is happening to me happen also to the most elderly players in the clubs.

Xylit does have a good point about rubbers. I had forgotten one particular incident until he mentioned this, but I do now remember that one woman stuck her bat in the way when I was hitting a shot, and then spent a lot of time stroking her bat, which I had hit. I don't think she has gone for me shots again since then.

Can anyone tell me whether hitting a partner's shot is considered normal in situations where the partner really has missed it and isn't close? I want to stop people doing it in every situation, however far apart, because in my experience allowing it to be a matter of judgement forms bad habits and opens the door for misjudgements. I think in the circumstances I am justified in taking this view in these clubs, but would this be normal in other clubs?

Sorry if you misunderstood a few jokes that are sort of off topic. But I have not misunderstood what you have said. Read my comments from before Der made a joke about how flexible I am.

The important thing to know is, there is no good reason for someone to make a play on a ball out of turn in doubles. It is dangerous.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
OK, no problem. And thanks for taking an interest in my post and giving me advice. As I have only ever played in these two clubs, it can be hard to know what is normal in the world.