Back to Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,002 1,302
    A
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,302 1,002
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspin
    China just has a superior training system. It comes at a cost to the players who don't make it but it will produce the best players in the world. The players start young, can play 6-8 hours a day, have great coaching and an abundance of practice partners. No other country can come close when compared to China in those areas. Where I grew up, literally no one within 1 hours driving distance played and if I were willing to travel, I could maybe play a grand total of 4 hours a week. I would have to drive 2 hours one way for mediocre coaching. Even if I wanted to become a serious player as a kid, there was absolutely no way it could have happened as playing time and opportunities would have been so limited. If you look at a lot of the better players outside of China, they have relatives who play so that helps with being able to put in the required practice time as a kid to become good. They also tend to be rich so they can hire lots of coaches to help out with the players development. Many people who turned into good players had live-in coaches.
    Fun fact that Oláh Benedek (finnish national champion) when he was a kid every monday travelled 280km and every wednesday 344 km to find suitable training partners and coaches. Respect to his parents.

The Following User Likes ajtatosmano2's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

TTD Member 58 83
    L
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 83 58

User Info Menu

May 2017
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtatosmano2
    Fun fact that Oláh Benedek (finnish national champion) when he was a kid every monday travelled 280km and every wednesday 344 km to find suitable training partners and coaches. Respect to his parents.
    That is amazing dedication. I played for my city's soccer team and got invited to tryout for a national level traveling team that played international matches when I was around 10. When my parents found out they would have to drive me to practice everyday about 100km each way, their answer was "are you kidding me? Heck no! You cannot tryout." I cannot imagine their response if I asked them to take me to practice that far away for table tennis. I probably would have been grounded for life.
    Last edited by lightspin; 05-02-2020 at 09:21 PM.

says deleted account

Elite TTD Member 234 1,148
    says deleted account

Elite TTD Member 1,148 234

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Poland
    Read 4 Reviews
    yup, for me Timo Boll ZLC for myself is Benedek Olah ZLC,
    I don't care that I see Timo Boll sign because he propably doesnt know about ZLC existence

advertisement! if you want more powerful bh than Fan Zhendong etc buy Timo Boll ZLC aka Benedek Olah ZLC

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 753 1,089
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,089 753
    We've got a kid in the national youth squad that (as per my understanding) travels by train 1,5h x 2 quite a few times during a normal week to train with Appelgren & CO. Nothing will stop a true enthusiast.

The Following User Likes mart1nandersson's Post:

yoass

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234