Recommended Table for Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hello noob here,

I'm new to table tennis. I want to purchase a table. Can you tell me What things to take care of while buying a table?

Also, is pingpong same as table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
I would look into buying an ITTF approved table, if you are serious about improving your game. They tend to be more expensive, but you can expect the bounce and colour to be within specifications. In most cases they have a better construction too and will last longer before falling apart. You should also decide if you want a stationary or foldable table with wheels. If you never (or very rarely) are going to move the table, then stationary is fine.

Pingpong is not the same as table tennis, although people that only play for recreation may refer to table tennis as "pingpong" when they talk about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
thanks for the reply. Any ITTF model counts? Just i'll go with price metric or any other criteria. I'd go for a foldable. but is there any vibration problem while going for foldable one? static one are heavy enough.

loopadoop, Thinking to buy from amazon, should i go or local store?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
What kind of vibration problem do you have in mind? If you have found some specific models you are looking at, then tell us and maybe it will be possible to give some advice. In general, I think it is easier to buy a table from a local store.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Definitely go for an ITTF table.

For me Butterfly, Tibhar and DHS are the best in terms of quality and bounce.

Not a big fan of Cornilleau's which we have at my club and in most clubs across France.
Don't care for Stiga's or Joola's either. Xiom/Champion are decent.

If I had to buy a table for myself or my club, I'd get this in blue:
https://shop.butterflyonline.com/space-saver-table

What's your budget in $$$ ?

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1]An Expert Opinion: "The Table with a playing surface only yelding CoF under 0.15 is a money-waster, indeed." [/size]

table_friction_1.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi. While agreeing about ITTF approved tables and requiring thicker 18mm; my first question would be: do you have enough room behind the table where you will put it? I much rather prefer smaller table to having no room behind a standard one. Made two 10 years ago (18 and 25mm; 240x150 - stdnrd MDF board size), both going strong, with plenty of bounce and high traction coefficient. Regards