Improving the visual presentation of Table Tennis

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
You're right Matt, a step at a time. I enjoyed your hungarian open video, and I will certainly look forward to your Slovenian Open video...:) I would do it, but what I know about video editing, is as much as a Neanderthal Man knows about table tennis. (which explains why the video of me playing is not out yet - don't even know where to start!! hahaha)

Another thing that I would like to add is the use of high speed camera. I am watching live telecast of Nadal vs Federer, and the super slow motion shots are just astonishing!! Every spin of the ball, facial expressions, every racket vibration after a miss hit...eye candy!! You really can see the effort these players put in their game.

More of this in TT, would be magical.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
agree about the comentators... That english old dude that they hv is sooo useless, calling every shot a smash and clueless about tactics, ive hear him say that one of tyhe players tactics was to let the ball pop up a little higher than usual to confuse him... How do they hire these ppl? i guess he won a hardbat tournament 55 years ago lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
agree about the comentators... That english old dude that they hv is sooo useless, calling every shot a smash and clueless about tactics, ive hear him say that one of tyhe players tactics was to let the ball pop up a little higher than usual to confuse him... How do they hire these ppl? i guess he won a hardbat tournament 55 years ago lol

At least he makes it easy for YouTubers to make a tournament compilation. You just align all points where he says 'probably the shot of the tournament' and you have a 10minute video with tournament highlights ;)

I still prefer him over 'the whisperer' btw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

At least he makes it easy for YouTubers to make a tournament compilation. You just align all points where he says 'probably the shot of the tournament' and you have a 10minute video with tournament highlights ;)

I still prefer him over 'the whisperer' btw.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Actually the english guy knows quite a lot about table tennis. He is the oldest commentator that exists. Having done it for over 20 years. You have to understand that he doesn't use any terminology because frankly when he started there wasn't much of a terminology out yet. You hear him saying topspin and underspin and what not because in his day that was the closest thing to terminology and dead spin wasn't even coined yet. Take all of that into count as well as the fact that he is required to dumb it down a bit to help new viewers transition into the culture.

@ azlan - those cameras are so costly as well. Phantom, Red One, and even the more expensive ones are each $50,000 USD plus. To rent one would be cheaper, but still quite costly as well as hiring those that are proficient enough at using the equipment.

The best and easiest ways to slow mo is using software to take a 60-120 fps video and slow it down to 480-960 fps. After Effects can do this in post, but as far as I know there are very few programs out there capable of doing this on a minute by minute basis.

Personally I think that the best and fastest way to gain growth is to stop the live broadcast and work on post production broadcasts. Essentially recaps. You'll gain more interest from the non TT viewers as they'll be able to follow it better with better comments and proper slow motion. The live broadcasts could rest easy with either the top back view or the top right views. It'd be harder to get them to transition to it because the ITTF is always searching for that best way to shoot it live. They don't want to take a step backwards to take two steps forward. They'd much rather take one step forward and then one step backwards.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Actually the english guy knows quite a lot about table tennis. He is the oldest commentator that exists. Having done it for over 20 years. You have to understand that he doesn't use any terminology because frankly when he started there wasn't much of a terminology out yet. You hear him saying topspin and underspin and what not because in his day that was the closest thing to terminology and dead spin wasn't even coined yet. Take all of that into count as well as the fact that he is required to dumb it down a bit to help new viewers transition into the culture.

@ azlan - those cameras are so costly as well. Phantom, Red One, and even the more expensive ones are each $50,000 USD plus. To rent one would be cheaper, but still quite costly as well as hiring those that are proficient enough at using the equipment.

The best and easiest ways to slow mo is using software to take a 60-120 fps video and slow it down to 480-960 fps. After Effects can do this in post, but as far as I know there are very few programs out there capable of doing this on a minute by minute basis.

Good to have some practical information to keep us down to earth :) But still I think that commentator shouldn't avoid terminology, since ITTV is a source where only people searching for table tennis will come. Those people often are familiar with most of the terminology. Also it is his responsibility to keep up with the latest developments in TT in terms of the materials/spin that is used. It doesn't help much if he only knows much about table tennis 20 years ago.

Mar 2011

Yeah I bet they're expensive Richard, but you gotta spend money to make money. It's a global federation this ITTF thing. Get sponsors, get the TT equipment manufacturers to spend. They've been raking millions around the world. It's time ITTF to think as a business entity, not just a federation. Do something. I am tired of seeing minuscule improvement for the last 30 years I've been playing TT.

Just look at tennis, when the pros come to town for a tourney, they play tennis on the street, roof top, visit children's hospital, signing autograph, have press conference after a match..and they do coverage and it's on the news. ATP, USTA, LTA...they're the ones who organize these events. They're bringing in money with the popularity of tennis. When they have money, they buy expensive equipment and technology to make tennis more interesting and watch able, which will increase the popularity even more, more companies wants to sponsor a tourney because they will get more air time, which results more prize money, and more kids wants to grow up to be a pro tennis player, and the cycle continues...more popularity, more money.

What did ITTF do? ITTV? Wow....we are really impress. Live TT on the telly? If you're lucky....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Perhaps ITTF could consider having high definition camera so that at least the ball can be seen clearly. And at the start of each match, they can show the stats like the head to head record of the two players playing and their date of birth or something similar.

This user has no status.
How about making a player profile for each player?

For example: Zhang Jike:
Specialty: BH over-the-table loop, FH reverse serve
Strengths: power from both wings, good blocking and consistency in rallies.
Weaknesses: slightly slower in shot transitioning

Ma Long:
Specialty: FH 3rd ball attack, FH/BH deceptive flicks
Strengths: Fastest transitioning between shots, precise placement.
Weaknesses: BH power away from the table

Timo Boll:
Specialty: FH heavy spin loop, spin variation on shots, close-to-table counterloop
Strengths: Heavy spin rallies
Weaknesses: BH power

Xu Xin:
Specialty: big FH loop, short game, exceptional ball feeling
Strengths: Fast footwork, good tactics.
Weaknesses: Close-to-table rallying, shot transition speed, BH instability.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Why would you stop the live broadcasts to focus on post match production, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to do both, the ITTF isn't small.

Azlan I don't actually know that much about editing videos my first one I just dived in the deep end and saw how it turned out haha

Mar 2011
Why would you stop the live broadcasts to focus on post match production, there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to do both, the ITTF isn't small.

Azlan I don't actually know that much about editing videos my first one I just dived in the deep end and saw how it turned out haha

Exactly Matt, it is the 21st century and we have satellites around the globe, or they don't know that yet...:)
I am working on my video from time to time, but the software that I downloaded is a load of rubbish. Still working on it though. :0
Thanx mate...

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
3D tt coverage, when they can finally get around to making that possible I will be a happy individual. You could perfectly analyse players techniques in 3 dimensional! how awesome would that be. But a wee way off I think.

I think just making highlights of each tournament on the World Tour is a good step forward. I'm hoping to do that myself! :) I had done one for Hungarian Open, Slovenian Open is so close to it but I hope I can do it again :)

Haha that would be so awesome! Technology will peak at some point in our life time I think, so we may see it soon if production can be be made cheap. If one camera alone can produce 3D coverage, then its all possible! :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Incredible points! Love reading all the posts! Amazing concepts!

I think, the ITTF need to start building slowly. For example, jumping into a HD camera right away may not be possible, as their servers cannot handle the streaming if the visual pixel is to much to load for millions of users to watch at any given one time.

Perhaps, add more cameras to the streaming. So rather then 2 tables being aired... we have 5 tables being aired. This would bring in more views to ITTV as players from all over the World would tune in to watch their favourite players. Once ITTV is streaming 5 tables simultaneously running on air at one time. They can see how it all handles.

I think then bring in HD to the scene. This will really be beneficial for all users around the World. Could have a HD section and a low quality camera section for the users with low bandwidth. Perhaps they don't use HD because many users don't have access to Broadband?

But yeah, I like what you say Azlan, ITTF need to follow how the Tennis system works. They have mastered it!

Mar 2011
Oh yes, 5 tables would be exceptional. It was frustrating last night because the top players were not playing on the 2 show courts :) This also means I need faster internet connections.

As learning from tennis, I think it's the way to go. ITTF have to start, it does takes time, but they really have to start now.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
5 ITTV tables...would....be......awesome :p

For sure, so many games are missed as Azlan has mentioned. Even when the Quarter finals are on in better quality, they could run 3 of the usual cameras in normal quality so we can watch the other matches to. And especially other matches going on like the under 21's.

5 tables streaming? That means I'll need 5 monitors! ;)

Hehe or 5 browsers to destroy your Ram :p

Oh yes, 5 tables would be exceptional. It was frustrating last night because the top players were not playing on the 2 show courts :) This also means I need faster internet connections.

As learning from tennis, I think it's the way to go. ITTF have to start, it does takes time, but they really have to start now.

Yeah following tennis strategies and implementing their own is the way to go for sure :)