Playstyle in veteran age (40+, 50+...)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Which playstyle is efficient amongst 40+ and 50+ years old category? And about racket setup? Pips (short, long), antis, regular rubbers?
I am talking about regional or maybe national level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
One style is a pushblocker, especially by adults who were never trained in tt as children. The player usually has long pips OX on their bh. A good webpage which talks about this is North Little Rock Table Tennis Group on Facebook.

There are high level players with this style.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I've wondered about this too. If you're a player who has played since childhood, what happens when your knees aren't supple enough for you to run all around the court? Slapping a sheet of longpips onto the backhand to make up for the lack of mobility seems fun.

This user has no status.
i play a lot of 40s tournament here and i can see as well the styles from other categories
well people often play as they always have, so i see for example a lot of short pips penholders. I see also LP players, maybe they got there because of age. I can still see some defenders !!! these guys still have stamina to move around !

As for myself, I have changed my style over the years, from an all-FH attacking style (tried to play like Gatien), tried myself a bit at defense JOO SaeHyuk style for a short time, and now attacking player at the table (trying to emulate LIU Shiwen, Miu HIRANO or HARIMOTO) attacking with both wings and good at counterinitiative. My BH was my weakness 5 years ago, now its my stronger side

Reactions: yoass and Tinykin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I trained a bit in 2001, then I started training again 2,5 years ago. I used to be a jpen, the switched to shakehand, now using medium pips BH (Spinlord Keiler), as it was a suggestion of my coach. I am 34 now.
I don't see much hope in playing next year a regional circuit for my club. I might use this time to train a style that can work well when I reach 40s, so I was asking for your opinions.

Thank you for all the answers until now.