Dignics 05 vs Tenergy 05 | With Timo Boll

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
What's up guys, today I'm joined alongside the man, the myth, the legend Timo Boll in the all new TableTennisDaily comparison series. Today we are comparing two Butterfly rubbers, Dignics 05 and Tenergy 05.

Stay tuned for many more equipment reviews and comparison videos! Let us know in the comments what comparison reviews you'd like to see in the future!

Have you tried these two rubbers, digni yet? Any questions let us know in the comments.

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Awesome new series Dan! and that too the first video with no one other than Timo Boll. Great information shared with comparisons on both rubbers. However, now if I think of it, I gather that Dignics 05 has lower throw, less catapult and more grip. But so does Stiga Genesis S II or Donic Bluegrip R1 or any other hybrid rubber with softer sponge, so this created more questions in my mind but also answered a few direct ones regarding butterfly products.
No doubt, butterfly products are top of the line, but paying 105$ for a sheet of Dignics 05, I doubt would be convincing to many players including me.
Also, the part where Go Pro video technique was used made me feel a bit dizzy (sorry for that, it might just be me).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I find that the latest gen rubbers with harder sponge is only effective for higher level and pro players.

Tenergy 05 has its downsides but i'd say is still the easiest rubber to produce low effort, high quality loops on lower level players.

I've tried playing with Tenergy 05 Hard and the rubber is simply too unforgiving where you need to really hit into it and have the correct angle or otherwise, the ball will slip to the net, or fly pass through the table. I'd imagine Dignics 05 would be very similar.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I find that the latest gen rubbers with harder sponge is only effective for higher level and pro players.

Tenergy 05 has its downsides but i'd say is still the easiest rubber to produce low effort, high quality loops on lower level players.

I've tried playing with Tenergy 05 Hard and the rubber is simply too unforgiving where you need to really hit into it and have the correct angle or otherwise, the ball will slip to the net, or fly pass through the table. I'd imagine Dignics 05 would be very similar.
yeah, don't think D05 will catch on huge the same reason as D05H as there are way more low -mid level players than high level ones

says Aging is a killer
Very informative video

I liked the Go pro footage. Yes it moves around a bit, but that is what seeing a player's eye view is all about. Especially this part where we see Timo's serve from a new point of view at 5:50. Note that the site won't play video from 5m50s. Moderator?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Go with the good old Mark V, or DHS GoldArc5 or 8.

@Dan it’s really good that you say at the end “this is for advanced players”. What would really be helpful is to follow with “and for developing players who want something similar, try xyz”.

In this case, @Dan and everyone else, what should a developing player try instead of dignics?

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
very nice review Dan, and you are blessed to have been training with Timo himself ! Wow !
You do play very well and thats the most impressive video i've seen of you, i liked the FH shot to your middle where you aimed his FH corner and congratulated yourself , awesome !

Personally i haven't tried D05, but I've tried for a few minutes only D80 (not new, used)
It is less tacky than my SpinArt but overall the touch is not very different. With the same technique, i felt as you said much more safety with my BH. The ball was very easy to control, it was ridiculous. The ball had low arc and was deep, and very little mistakes. I feel it could be an excellent alternative to my current rubber, but I think I won't change though because I like the extra grip and hardness on SpinArt which makes it really good for both blocking and counterspin with a short stroke, and perhaps it is easier to find shorter trajectories and more angles. Surely due to sponge hardness, SpinArt must be less forgiving for opening against long backspin pushes than D80. All in all, if for example, SpinArt was discontinued by Butterfly, i would shift to D80. If my level was higher and i didn't stay close to the table all the time, I would change to D80 as well.

I also tried it on the FH side, it was easy to drive / loop, but as you said, i felt more power with my T80 even I use it in 1.9mm. I don't use it on max because in my style / level I don't feel I need max, I can still finish and score FH winners with the 1.9 but i have extra control for receive and block. So definitely i prefer T80 on FH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Both are super expensive
And you just review butterfly while you could review brands such as donic instead of only reviewing blue fire m1 rubber :/

You should look at the vast number of video reviews Dan has done of equipment from other companies. To me, based on the number of video reviews that have been done, I feel this comment is a bit off the mark.

@Dan it’s really good that you say at the end “this is for advanced players”. What would really be helpful is to follow with “and for developing players who want something similar, try xyz”.

In this case, @Dan and everyone else, what should a developing player try instead of dignics?

I am also not sure this needs to be part of this video since it was not the subject matter. There are lots of things that mid and lower level players can use. There are plenty of reviews of products that would fit the bill. RidTheKid gave a few suggestions already.

Look to other reviews of products that might be more in line with your actual needs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
1.jpgFound this hilarious !!!