Me playing (transitioning to backhand pips)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Critique my technique

Some footage from a tournament that I played in recently.
I've played with pips on the forehand my whole life but I recently flipped my racket around to have inverted on the forehand instead.
There are still many instances where I'm clearly using SP forehand and inverted backhand technique, especially when looping backspin on the backhand.

Opponents did not give me too much pressure as they did not attack frequently. It would be great to work on reducing my unforced error rate and also working on a good forehand reverse spin service (I can't really execute the punch/shovel serve well, and the backhand serve leaves me flatfooted).

Any critique would be great

vs Single-sided Penholder

vs Chopper

vs little girl

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi driversbeat

I watched your vids
First of all, I like your style, even I'm not a pips player. I like your placements and variations too.

Here are some observations
(++) you move really fast, and stay in movement all the time, thats really great because its the most important thing in TT, and I wish I was doing that when I started (maybe I did and I can't remember ?).
(+) you seem to be very relaxed, I can't really mistakes due to stiffness
(+) as per above, good variation and placement
(+) fast reaction time

(-) Despite you moving fast, and having time to get to everyball, I think many times your placement relative to the ball isn't correct. For example I can see your right foot ahead of the left foot when playing backhand. Or on FH side your body stays too much parallel to the table, or you're a bit too far from the ball and reaching for it.

(-) you're not using enough your body, especially legs when executing shots
(-) your upper body is too straight. It should always bend a bit forward. Its difficult when you're becoming an old man, but you have no excuses !
(-) room to improve FH and BH technique but the above points are the main things to work

If you have a good coach or good advanced player who can teach you , and if you keep on training, you will improve fast

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hi Takkyu wa inochi,

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. I never noticed the thing about feet positioning, it's probably limiting the amount of power I can place on my shots.

I'm in college now and getting a coach is pretty low on the priority list at the moment. But maybe spending more time practising the basics with my friends would help a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
there are plenty of videos on Youtube to learn TT basics, then you can practice with your friends.
regarding FH position your right foot a little bit behind your left foot as well.
FH or BH the left foot should be in front; If you mix it, you might have less power and its more difficult to transition

Hi driversbeat

I watched your vids
First of all, I like your style, even I'm not a pips player. I like your placements and variations too.

Here are some observations
(++) you move really fast, and stay in movement all the time, thats really great because its the most important thing in TT, and I wish I was doing that when I started (maybe I did and I can't remember ?).
(+) you seem to be very relaxed, I can't really mistakes due to stiffness
(+) as per above, good variation and placement
(+) fast reaction time

(-) Despite you moving fast, and having time to get to everyball, I think many times your placement relative to the ball isn't correct. For example I can see your right foot ahead of the left foot when playing backhand. Or on FH side your body stays too much parallel to the table, or you're a bit too far from the ball and reaching for it.

(-) you're not using enough your body, especially legs when executing shots
(-) your upper body is too straight. It should always bend a bit forward. Its difficult when you're becoming an old man, but you have no excuses !
(-) room to improve FH and BH technique but the above points are the main things to work

If you have a good coach or good advanced player who can teach you , and if you keep on training, you will improve fast

Exactly.

@driversbeat - I like your approach to what every different ball needs. You have that good feel.
One thing I want to add is that for me your footwork is good and I think you'll make it better, but sometimes its a little bit more jumpy than needed. That make you miss the better positioning, mentioned above. Sometimes that make take the ball not on the propper phase of your body motion - you take it when your body goes down, not up, and as a result the ball goes to the net. Try to moove smoother and with more body and legs swing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Hi langel,

I'm not sure how to make my footwork less jumpy, it's kinda become a habit for me. One thing I try to do is to make sure that I'm not jumping on the same spot, but moving side to side instead. You make a very good point about the ball not being in the proper position as the body though, explains why some shots are missed sometimes but not others. What are the footwork exercises that you do? Not that I train a whole lot but when I do I follow the exercises in this video:

This video is good.
I believe you make a difference between the purpose of the different excercises - some are just for muscle strength and speed, and others are to be used in different play situations - from short placement adjustments to wide area covering.
Footwork is linked to and reflects on the body motion. Think of it as a spring from the toes to the shoulders. The higher the jump, the longer and wider the amplitude of the whole "spring" will be. In play you have to sequence it with the temp and rythm of the game and change it accordingly. It comes with practice and experience. You have a good base and good feel of the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
A few quick tips:

Squat lower. Your legs are almost straight, bend them, or if not comfortable, at least spread them apart further. And lean forward. Get as low as you can, chin just above the net.

Try to contact the ball at chest or even shoulder height, you want to have a "bulldozing" effect by having your stroke push through the ball from the feet, waist, shoulder, arms, wrist etc. Now you are contacting balls around waist level, which wastes synergy.

You seem to prefer backhand flips/loops. I know you are just adjusting, but try to emulate a more "punchy" movement. Watch videos of Ai Fukuhara or Mima Ito. Punch, punch, punch, don't swing.

Others already mentioned the positioning, try 10-4, I actually prefer 11-5 on some forehands, find one that's comfortable for you and practice shifting left and right without moving "shadow boxing" style.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi