ITTF Korean Open 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hayata was not consistent enough for the WC, but she played some insane rallies imo.
I am super impressed with her. I really hope she will play at the Olympics.
I personally value the look and the power of strokes but I don't think that is an important factor that is considered by the committee that determines who goes to the Olympics

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Mizutani out by Karlsson.. Nice surprise!
Also Falck came back from 1:3 against Achanta..
FZD could easily lose to Xu Chenhao, came back from 2:3 and 0:2..
Cant wait for next matches..
In fact I was expecting mizutani have hard Time against karlsson, he is not good against lefthanders and also with good bh. Karlsson found his Way to keep mizutani in bh and when JM has to play 3 or more balls from BH side he start to have problems.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I personally value the look and the power of strokes but I don't think that is an important factor that is considered by the committee that determines who goes to the Olympics

If you put it that way, sure. But obviously, no serious person is putting it that way. The issue is whether she is a better choice than whoever is ranked #3 after the qualification cycle. And the closer she gets to making the case that she is, that is valuable. Consider that she is now Harimoto's XD partner. Was that because the committee didn't value the things you personally value?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
If you put it that way, sure. But obviously, no serious person is putting it that way. The issue is whether she is a better choice than whoever is ranked #3 after the qualification cycle. And the closer she gets to making the case that she is, that is valuable. Consider that she is now Harimoto's XD partner. Was that because the committee didn't value the things you personally value?
she hasn't been chosen to play in singles in the WTTC in the past couple of times, that was the info posted on the threads - I am just stating the facts. Whether they will chose her for the Olympic games will depend on the results (which she could improve upon, who knows) and not her style - this should not be rocket science.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Unless LSW is tired out by her two doubles matches in the morning (but probably extra-motivated to avenge her Portugal Challenge loss though), Hayata will likely experience another first round exit. Sheesh, give this girl a break!

Australia Open - Hina Hayata in qualifying .....
Seeding in qualifying - July 7 ....
Very interesting to see ... Again, three Chinese women?
(I just don’t believe in random sowing ...)

I pray with Janard - God, give her at least a little respite!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
she hasn't been chosen to play in singles in the WTTC in the past couple of times, that was the info posted on the threads - I am just stating the facts. Whether they will chose her for the Olympic games will depend on the results (which she could improve upon, who knows) and not her style - this should not be rocket science.
I suspect you are the Tom from mytt as well?

No one talks about style it is about the results. But the style is reflected in the results.

It isn't about just knowing what happened in the past it is about knowing what the trend shows and the criteria that dictate what must be done. As the JNT said when asked about Maharu Yoshimura's chances for making the Olympics, it is one thing if you are #4 and #3 cannot play doubles. But if you are #6, then it gets harder. Not impossible but harder.

The thing that helps Hayata immensely is her doubles ability and the fact that the new team format makes doubles extremely important. These are things that don't exist at the WTTC or WTTTC so it is important to evaluate things as they evolve and not just say "the past was like this so we know that is how it is going to be". Hayata was injured for period in that past as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I suspect you are the Tom from mytt as well?

No one talks about style it is about the results. But the style is reflected in the results.

It isn't about just knowing what happened in the past it is about knowing what the trend shows and the criteria that dictate what must be done. As the JNT said when asked about Maharu Yoshimura's chances for making the Olympics, it is one thing if you are #4 and #3 cannot play doubles. But if you are #6, then it gets harder. Not impossible but harder.

The thing that helps Hayata immensely is her doubles ability and the fact that the new team format makes doubles extremely important. These are things that don't exist at the WTTC or WTTTC so it is important to evaluate things as they evolve and not just say "the past was like this so we know that is how it is going to be". Hayata was injured for period in that past as well.
Yes I am. Not thinking about doubles. I guess in the team someone have to play doubles. Do you have to play singles if they need you for the doubles? If not then it will not increase her chances for singles even if they need her for the doubles. Edit - what I just wrote does not make too much sense as she will be in the team if they need her to play doubles. It is the individual event I was thinking of.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes I am. Not thinking about doubles. I guess in the team someone have to play doubles. Do you have to play singles if they need you for the doubles? If not then it will not increase her chances for singles even if they need her for the doubles. Edit - what I just wrote does not make too much sense as she will be in the team if they need her to play doubles. It is the individual event I was thinking of.

Most of us who have studied the rankings agree that she has almost zero chance of playing singles at the Olympics. So maybe I assumed you already knew that this was common knowledge for those of us who care on this website. We are mostly focused on her chance of playing in the Olympics as a whole, which would be the team event or the mixed doubles. The team event is probably more likely but as always, a lot will depend on performance as you pointed out. But when most of us speak of style/power, we are not separating it from the performance. We just realize that the ITTF rankings will not be her path to the Olympics, but getting them high enough will help her case for the team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Most of us who have studied the rankings agree that she has almost zero chance of playing singles at the Olympics. So maybe I assumed you already knew that this was common knowledge for those of us who care on this website. We are mostly focused on her chance of playing in the Olympics as a whole, which would be the team event or the mixed doubles. The team event is probably more likely but as always, a lot will depend on performance as you pointed out. But when most of us speak of style/power, we are not separating it from the performance. We just realize that the ITTF rankings will not be her path to the Olympics, but getting them high enough will help her case for the team.
ok, my mind was not in the same path as yours

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018

Very accurate analysis!