ITTF Korean Open 2019

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I think Maharu Yoshimura has higher chance to play the Olympics than you imagine. I think he has the highest chance after the big 3 (Harimoto, Niwa, Mizutani).

First of all, I think Yoshimura is the best XD men player of JNT. He partnering with Ishikawa has won 1 gold and 2 silver WTTC XD medals. So from JTTA’s perspective, this pair will probably win a medal (even though might not be gold). They are just more consistent and more experienced than the other Japanese pairs. And the fact that JNT applied Yoshimura/Ishikawa for both Korean Open and Australian Open is a signal of giving them chances.

Secondly for the team match, if JNT wants Harimoto to play 2 single matches, the other 2 players will need to play double. JNT tried the Mizutani/Niwa combination in Hong Kong Open and 2 lefties did not work out as everyone can see. So Yoshimura has an advantage as being a right-handed player.

But for Yoshimura to play the Olympics, he has to wish Mizutani can play single. Because if Harimoto and Niwa are going to play single, then JTTA basically must choose Mizutani to play the team match and there will be no place for Yoshimura.

From my perspective, JTTA must send Harimoto and Mizutani to play the Olympics. But for Niwa, if he cannot play single, there is a chance that he might not going to Olympics at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
The note...

Already five Japanese women between the ages of 14 and 18 have entered the main grid (Hayata is the oldest of them ...)

The note...
Already six Japanese women between the ages of 14 and 18 have entered the main grid (Hayata is the oldest of them ...)
(We are waiting for the result of Satsuki - Kato ....)
Sorry ... Satsuki lost .....

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Other than the 4 seeds, only 1 out of 24 Koreans makes the main draw of MS and it's not An Jaehyun.

Other than the 2 seeds, only 1 out of 25 Koreans makes the main draw of WS and it's not Yang Haeun.

Last edited:

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Interesting first round:

LIN Yun-Ju -
Wang Chuqin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I think Maharu Yoshimura has higher chance to play the Olympics than you imagine. I think he has the highest chance after the big 3 (Harimoto, Niwa, Mizutani).

First of all, I think Yoshimura is the best XD men player of JNT. He partnering with Ishikawa has won 1 gold and 2 silver WTTC XD medals. So from JTTA’s perspective, this pair will probably win a medal (even though might not be gold). They are just more consistent and more experienced than the other Japanese pairs. And the fact that JNT applied Yoshimura/Ishikawa for both Korean Open and Australian Open is a signal of giving them chances.

Secondly for the team match, if JNT wants Harimoto to play 2 single matches, the other 2 players will need to play double. JNT tried the Mizutani/Niwa combination in Hong Kong Open and 2 lefties did not work out as everyone can see. So Yoshimura has an advantage as being a right-handed player.

But for Yoshimura to play the Olympics, he has to wish Mizutani can play single. Because if Harimoto and Niwa are going to play single, then JTTA basically must choose Mizutani to play the team match and there will be no place for Yoshimura.

From my perspective, JTTA must send Harimoto and Mizutani to play the Olympics. But for Niwa, if he cannot play single, there is a chance that he might not going to Olympics at all.

Actually, JNT is struggling to find a doubles pairing that works. Because doubles is the first match and the strongest players meet in the next match, you can lose a match pretty quickly if your doubles pairing is not competitive unlike before when you had two singles matches to figure it out and you didn't have to face your best player vs the beat player on the other team.

And none of the JNT doubles pairings are working for the men's team. So he doesn't need Mizutani to play singles. He just needs to partner well with Niwa if he gets a chance. The doubles is going to drive a lot of things and Mizutani will likely not make it if he doesn't get in directly.

This user has no status.

Mizutani was good in Rio, but I think there are some reasons wht he isn't a good choice anymore:
1- People have learned to target his backhand and keep him on the lobbing action.
2-He is a bit old and as far as I know, Japanese federations like to stick to younger ones.
3-It was evident that Mizutani is not at his peak, like say, in Rio,as we look at his most recent matches. You could see him simply get outplayed aginst Joong in WTTC.
But, maybe, they pick Yoshimura over Niwa, because from my pov, Niwa has an entertaining show, but, just for a few points. I don't think he could play as well as the rrst of the JNT aginst other players and simply decrease their chance of sucess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Unless LSW is tired out by her two doubles matches in the morning (but probably extra-motivated to avenge her Portugal Challenge loss though), Hayata will likely experience another first round exit. Sheesh, give this girl a break!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Unless LSW is tired out by her two doubles matches in the morning (but probably extra-motivated to avenge her Portugal Challenge loss though), Hayata will likely experience another first round exit. Sheesh, give this girl a break!

!!!!!!!!!