Rubber advice

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hey guys
I need help to choose a rubber. I am currently playing with the Timo Boll ALC. I play with Tenergy 05 in my forehand and I am satisfied with that although Tenergy is very pricey.
I have also been playing with the Tenergy 05fx in my backhand, but I have been thinking about changing my backhand rubber, partly because I want to save a bit money!
I have a hard time attacking with my backhand on backspin. So I normally stick to blocking and pushing.
Of course I want to have a rubber which suits my game, but I would also like one that can help me attack on backspin.

I have been thinking about buying the Rozena rubber as I have heard good things about it and it is not as pricey as Tenergy.
But I just wanted to hear what you guys think?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
What are your thoughts on T05 compared to T05fx in the backhand?

I think one of the bigger mistakes made by people is that they pick a hard blade for speed and rather soft rubbers for spin. In your case, ALC isn't super hard or something like that. But, fx is too soft. This does give you good speed and spin, but you will lack kick and your ball bounces too big. If you use harder rubbers on more flexible blades like your Boll ALC, you will have more kick which will enable you to make stronger shots that are harder to catch appropriately and that bings you more points. You can have a look at the difference of Chinese players and Europeans and see the bounce their balls get after a powerful shot. The higher the bounce is, the safer you are. But, the quality will be lower. That's why I offered that way :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I have been thinking about buying the Rozena rubber as I have heard good things about it and it is not as pricey as Tenergy.

Tibhar Evolution FX-S is pretty much as close to t05fx as it gets and costs way less.

The rest (problems attacking on backspin) will be down to technique and practice - if you can´t do it with a 05fx then it´s unlikely any other rubber will help you much without effort on your side.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I have a hard time attacking with my backhand on backspin. So I normally stick to blocking and pushing.

The main question, to me, would be — why do you have a hard time there?

A different rubber might not help you, I think. T05fx is amongst the easiest ones for opening up... A slower blade might help, but improving your basic technique is probably the first you should think of. It might be basic stroke, stance, body mechanics; do you have footage that shows the issue?

Last edited:
Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
TheKhan said:
I think one of the bigger mistakes made by people is that they pick a hard blade for speed and rather soft rubbers for spin. In your case, ALC isn't super hard or something like that. But, fx is too soft. This does give you good speed and spin, but you will lack kick and your ball bounces too big.

I use very soft sponged modern dynamic rubbers on my OFf to Low OFF+ Batos ALC blade...

No one in their sane mind is gunna say I have a weak FH or BH ball.

When I crack it on a hit, or crack a counterloop, it will hop like a hot potato.

I like high arching safe shots, they increase my consistency... but on the balls struck with power, it (Batos ALC + soft dynamic rubbers) has lower trajectory deep landing very troubling to opponent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: thomas.pong
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I recommend gold arc 8, it has a big arc and it is not difficult to control, good speed and a lot of spin

I happened to glue it (GA8-50 at 2.1mm) on a few days ago. Coming from rubbers like Rozena, Tenergy 05, Nanoflex FT48 I wouldn't say it has a big arc.

Spin levels on serves and in the short game are very high. I haven't found these yet when looping. Looping with thin contact (brush loop, intended to be slow and spinny) is not that easy, you don't get to chew as long on the ball before it is catapulted out. I'm playing my loops with more arm stretch to get the necessary whip. When putting speed on a slow ball (underspin, a floater or slow block) I get immense speed, but not the spin level I'm used to. Yet. When counterspinning, both spin and speed are immense, but this is also where you lose your safety window. Overall feels very secure and reliable, but its highest gears do not yet work with high confidence for me.

This is one beastie that I already think has very good qualities, but it might still turn out to be beyond my physical abilities and play level.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I happened to glue it (GA8-50 at 2.1mm) on a few days ago. Coming from rubbers like Rozena, Tenergy 05, Nanoflex FT48 I wouldn't say it has a big arc.

Spin levels on serves and in the short game are very high. I haven't found these yet when looping. Looping with thin contact (brush loop, intended to be slow and spinny) is not that easy, you don't get to chew as long on the ball before it is catapulted out. I'm playing my loops with more arm stretch to get the necessary whip. When putting speed on a slow ball (underspin, a floater or slow block) I get immense speed, but not the spin level I'm used to. Yet. On a counterspinning, both spin and speed level are very high, but this is also where you lose your safety window. Overall feels very secure and reliable, but its highest gears do not yet work with high confidence for me.

This is one beastie that I already think has very good qualities, but it might still turn out to be beyond my physical abilities and play level.

I concur with this observation. I've only tried GA8 for about 30 minutes (on a friends blade) and I had huge issues with opening up against backspin as I wouldn't get a high enough arc. I guess that it requires a different technique compared to the one you develop when playing with Butterflys spring sponge.

It has also got quite a quite significant catapult on slow strokes that I wasn't able to control (I guess that this also comes down to technique).

Last edited: