Guitar Lemon Oil for Blade Handle Color Restoration?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Has anyone had experience with using lemon oil on their blade handle?

Lemon oiling a guitar's fingerboard (long wood neck where fingers move around) is done for the purpose of restoring moisture and color conditioning/restoration so I was wondering if doing it to a blade handle would result in the same outcome.

When my handle is wet, the color looks as vibrant as it once was, but once the sweat/water dries, it returns to a dull color so I was thinking if lemon oil will help.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I think pretty much any oil will work, but some may smell better than others if you're fussy about that. People often use linseed oil for wood rejuvenation, and it works but isn't very shiny. Tung oil is great, if you can get it. I think my blade was finished using Danish oil, which I think is widely available.

Last edited:
Isn't 10 grams a bit too heavy? Did you use a brush and overcoated?

QUOTE=Tinykin;280456]Be careful with the oiling and use a very small amount. Oil adds more weight than you think.
I learned my lesson years ago when I plastered oil all over the blade, and did it once more when it dried out.
Suddenly I went from a normal 88g blade to one that weighed nearly 98g.[/QUOTE]

This user has no status.
I would not recommend using oil on handle.
The handle should absorb the wet to feel comfortable, if oiled, it would not and will feel slippy.
That's what I feel even I let it dry inside dry cabinet for several days. I applied the lemon oil thinking that it will protect the handle from sweat.

Last edited:
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Be careful with the oiling and use a very small amount. Oil adds more weight than you think.
I learned my lesson years ago when I plastered oil all over the blade, and did it once more when it dried out.
Suddenly I went from a normal 88g blade to one that weighed nearly 98g.

Well, the way to apply it as I understand it to use a soft cloth, lightly impregnated. Let it soak in and dry for a few days, than polish the wood with very finegrained sandpaper. Repeat a couple of times. At some point that should result in a deep sheen, with the wood colour coming out beautifully and the handle's feeling unaltered.

It'll still feel like and act like wood afterwards. And I don't think it's more than a few drops of oil added to the weight; or at least, I don't think there should be, even though you probably can if you want to.

Reactions: Sedis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Be careful with the oiling and use a very small amount. Oil adds more weight than you think.
Suddenly I went from a normal 88g blade to one that weighed nearly 98g.

That could be an alternative method to the beast mode :)

Reactions: Tinykin
says Aging is a killer
Well, the way to apply it as I understand it to use a soft cloth, lightly impregnated. Let it soak in and dry for a few days, than polish the wood with very finegrained sandpaper. Repeat a couple of times. At some point that should result in a deep sheen, with the wood colour coming out beautifully and the handle's feeling unaltered.

It'll still feel like and act like wood afterwards. And I don't think it's more than a few drops of oil added to the weight; or at least, I don't think there should be, even though you probably can if you want to.

Agreed, but next try using a dense piece of polystyrene instead of sandpaper. Absolutely no risk of affecting the wood