This user has no status.
Aug 2017
FireShot Capture 033.jpg

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
That's why he's playing two events this month, he wants to take the #1 spot.

Well, its not about taking no1 spot, its now inside 1 year to olympic qualification ranking.
plus, june/july is also the busier schedule if you were to look at platinum events.
China Open platinum
Japan Open platinum
Australia Open platinum
and the on going Korean open which is just a standard world tour

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Well, its not about taking no1 spot, its now inside 1 year to olympic qualification ranking.
plus, june/july is also the busier schedule if you were to look at platinum events.
China Open platinum
Japan Open platinum
Australia Open platinum
and the on going Korean open which is just a standard world tour
Ma Long is the defending Men's Singles Olympics champion and twice WTTC champion since the last Olympics. His ITTF ranking will not have any bearing on his selection. There is no way he is not playing Singles in 2020 Olympics unless he is injured again.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ma Long is the defending Men's Singles Olympics champion and twice WTTC champion since the last Olympics. His ITTF ranking will not have any bearing on his selection. There is no way he is not playing Singles in 2020 Olympics unless he is injured again.

I think you are confused on how the qualification works.
at the moment, he is not qualified, and he will need to qualify to make the olympics (singles)
This is not a WTTC where a country decides who to sends. the individual player must qualify for singles.

Currently only 2 players in mens have qualified, and that was from last week European Games

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
I think you are confused on how the qualification works.
at the moment, he is not qualified, and he will need to qualify to make the olympics (singles)
This is not a WTTC where a country decides who to sends. the individual player must qualify for singles.

Currently only 2 players in mens have qualified, and that was from last week European Games
I don't think I'm confused how qualifications for the 2020 Olympics work. For the Team event, 16 teams qualify. China will have a qualified team. Each qualified NOC team can nominate 2 members for the individual events.

China will have a qualified team. ML will be on that qualified team. ML will be nominated as 1 of the 2 players to play Singles unless injured.

http://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uplo...020-Qualification-system-Table-Tennis-eng.pdf

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't think I'm confused how qualifications for the 2020 Olympics work. For the Team event, 16 teams qualify. China will have a qualified team. Each qualified NOC team can nominate 2 members for the individual events.

China will have a qualified team. ML will be on that qualified team. ML will be nominated as 1 of the 2 players to play Singles unless injured.

http://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uplo...020-Qualification-system-Table-Tennis-eng.pdf

I don't see his name on the qualified list.
so please, all Ma long fans must relax

Ma Long is playing world tours to better his ranking (just like every serious contender to make the olympics), as it is a crucial period.
Seeding in Olympics will be by world ranking, and 12 month cycle includes your June/July platinum world tours happening now

getting no1 in August means nothing for Ma long - he would want to be no1 by the times the seeding gets calulcated for the Olympics

Its the same every time. Its all mathematically calculated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
I don't see his name on the qualified list.
so please, all Ma long fans must relax

Ma Long is playing world tours to better his ranking (just like every serious contender to make the olympics), as it is a crucial period.
Seeding in Olympics will be by world ranking, and 12 month cycle includes your June/July platinum world tours happening now

getting no1 in August means nothing for Ma long - he would want to be no1 by the times the seeding gets calulcated for the Olympics

Its the same every time. Its all mathematically calculated.
Well first you said I don't understand the Olympics qualification rules, now I'm being told to "relax." I'm not sure how you are able to determine the amount of stress I'm under regarding this topic based on what I posted and the resulting need to relax.

His ITTF ranking at time of Olympics seeding is not really relevant to ML. Regardless of his Olympics seeding he will be placed in opposite half of the Olympics draw from the other CNT singles player (most likely FZD.) Please correct me if that will be changed in Tokyo 2020.

Frankly low seeding in Olympics is also not relevant to ML as the Olympics field is weaker than WTTC, China Open, and many Pro Tour platinum events due to the per association restrictions. Olympics are prestigious as they occur once every 4 years and the restrictions involved in qualifying for a very limited number of spots.

While nothing in sports is certain, ML playing in Olympics Singles is about as certain as it gets. This has nothing to do whether or not someone is a Ma Long fan. It has to do with his performance over the last several years and his position on the CNT.

Last edited: