Australian Open 2019 [Platinum]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Sorry I don't really follow, why would Liu shiwen need ranking points?

She's losing 1.6k points in total from her early exit in Korea Open and now Australia Open, causing her to drop to at least WR#5 (likely more). If she falls too much down the ladder and is selected for the Olympics Singles event, she may be allocated into the same half as her other chosen colleague and ousted prematurely. For instance, let's assume #1-4 are CM, DN, WMY, ZYL respectively, Ishikawa is #5 (*hides from zeio*) and LSW is #6. CNT then decides to send CM and LSW for Singles while JNT sends Ishikawa and someone else. This means that the two Chinese women will be seeds 1 and 3 while the Japanese team leader seed 2. CM and Ishikawa will never meet until the finals while LSW may have to face CM in the SF should they be in the same half. For insurance purposes, CNT may then send CM and DN instead since it's assured they will be allocated to different halves by virtue of WR. That is my understanding. Monopolising WR#1-4 ensures that whichever two players the Chinese send for Singles will be 1st and 2nd seeds – this is the long-term goal. At least I believe that LSW's Singles ticket is still up in the air. Her history of bad luck convinces me that even winning the WTTC 2019 Singles is not a 100%.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
She's losing 1.6k points in total from her early exit in Korea Open and now Australia Open, causing her to drop to at least WR#5 (likely more). If she falls too much down the ladder and is selected for the Olympics Singles event, she may be allocated into the same half as her other chosen colleague and ousted prematurely. For instance, let's assume #1-4 are CM, DN, WMY, ZYL respectively, Ishikawa is #5 (*hides from zeio*) and LSW is #6. CNT then decides to send CM and LSW for Singles while JNT sends Ishikawa and someone else. This means that the two Chinese women will be seeds 1 and 3 while the Japanese team leader seed 2. CM and Ishikawa will never meet until the finals while LSW may have to face CM in the SF should they be in the same half. For insurance purposes, CNT may then send CM and DN instead since it's assured they will be allocated to different halves by virtue of WR. That is my understanding. Monopolising WR#1-4 ensures that whichever two players the Chinese send for Singles will be 1st and 2nd seeds – this is the long-term goal. At least I believe that LSW's Singles ticket is still up in the air. Her history of bad luck convinces me that even winning the WTTC 2019 Singles is not a 100%.

Correct.
there is many factors at play, and seeding will be one of them.
pointless having 2 CNT knocking out each other early on - it will cause too much pressure for them.

Same applies for should Ding Ning fall out of the top 3 or 5 and if a Japanese gets in front of her, then there is the same risks
CNT will want to have 5 out of 5 in the top 5 and they can send any of the 2

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I agree that Liu's spot is still up in the air. But from memory the Olympics have always applied the separation by association rule. At least from my observation there have been no two players from the same country in the same half, or all three players in the same half (2008 and before).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
- So, Wang Manyu vs Sun Yingsha. That is like adding another layer of insurance to eliminate Zhu Yuling from the QFs whose fate is already precarious enough with Sun Mingyang as the opponent.
- Free advancement for Ito (Minnie Soo) and Hamamoto (Lay Jian Fang)?
- Early exit for Ishikawa (Kihara Miyuu), Shibata (Li Jiayi) and Hirano (Qian Tianyi)?

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I agree that Liu's spot is still up in the air. But from memory the Olympics have always applied the separation by association rule. At least from my observation there have been no two players from the same country in the same half, or all three players in the same half (2008 and before).

Is there such a rule? Hmm, wouldn't quite explain the need to take part in all the Opens endlessly though?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Holy smoke, Ishikawa and Kihara keep meeting in the R32 since Japan Open, Korea Open and now Australian Open. 3 times in a row!

LGL must be on cloud nine right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Holy smoke, Ishikawa and Kihara keep meeting in the R32 since Japan Open, Korea Open and now Australian Open. 3 times in a row!

LGL must be on cloud nine right now.

Yeah, honestly what are the chances of that happening.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
- So, Wang Manyu vs Sun Yingsha. That is like adding another layer of insurance to eliminate Zhu Yuling from the QFs whose fate is already precarious enough with Sun Mingyang as the opponent.
- Free advancement for Ito (Minnie Soo) and Hamamoto (Lay Jian Fang)?
- Early exit for Ishikawa (Kihara Miyuu), Shibata (Li Jiayi) and Hirano (Qian Tianyi)?

Yeah ... the beginning of the WS is quite interesting .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Is there such a rule? Hmm, wouldn't quite explain the need to take part in all the Opens endlessly though?

Driversbeat is correct.
OG does draw the NOC into separate halves.

CNT meeting each other prior to final then will be no issue. But a good seed/bad seed will still be applicable on either halve.
But I guess, should you send a player to win gold, that player will need to beat anyone. So meeting them in earlier rounds or final means no different.

However WR for the players does count towards seeding of the teams.
so either way, for single or teams, CNT will want the best seeding
and with many points up for grabs or losses, Liu stands to loose out due to injury.

just imagine if she is out for 6 months, she will be world rank 60-80 again lol

Last edited: