• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
    Results 501 to 520 of 532
    1. Top | #501
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Korbel/Hadraw VK/Carbonado 45
      Forehand Rubber Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Fastarc C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      7,839
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 11,973 Times in 5,276 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton View Post
      Yes they're playing doubles, is that supposed to prove me wrong? They play doubles because they must, until they can't (Liu Shiwen). Are they supposed to just abandon doubles to not get injured?
      Liu Shiwen had a back injury. That said there are players playing doubles with no requirement to do so. Xu Xin despite saying that he can't recover like he did when he was younger is getting consistently registered in 3 events. My point is that while ITTF can do better, the players have to do things to show that this is not kosher as well. Playing all three events just makes it look like TT is a joke.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    2. Top | #502
      zeio is offline
      says IQ < 100
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      2,815
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,359 Times in 1,708 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid View Post
      "Franziska is a second rate German player!"


      Reminds me of XX's comment on Franziska from 2014.

      http://mytabletennis.net/forum/i-wan...opic68427.html
      Despite the fact that Boll and Ovtcharov are the top targets of the CNT, from XX's perspective, it was in the third match facing off Franziska whose game was the trickiest. "I ran into him in the Open earlier the year, winning 4:2. Very few people outside of China can take two games off of me." XX knew at that time that this player was not easy to handle, but never thought he would come across him in his own first final at the WTTTC. "This reminds me of last year playing against Samsonov in the World Cup final. For the first two receives, one hit on my fingers, and for the other I whiffed the loop. Those two shots didn't even touch the paddle. The match against Franziska at the WTTTC was more or less the same. I didn't serve the first one well and it drifted long. It turned out the dude on the other side was nervous as well and sent it flying. For the second serve I even sent it into the bottom of the net. I was so tense. My hand was not listening to me." In the final, both sides were nervous, and the key at that moment was to see who could first immerse in the match. "When under immense pressure, it felt like the upper body was constantly pushing down on the lower body, as if I couldn't run, and got heavy legs, and hand that didn't listen, and losing very promptly without even my realizing. Yet, this time midway through the first game, I was running the whole field and the body didn't feel that heavy. I was totally in the zone, both technically and tactically."

    3. The Following User Likes zeio's Post:

      Astorix (07-14-2019)

    4. Top | #503
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel AX; Stiga Nostalgia All+
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Sigma II Pro; Stiga Mantra H

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      2,816
      Reviews
      Read 71 Reviews
      Liked 1,324 Times in 840 Posts
      Franziska was really playing good. I thought XX was gonna lose!!!

    5. Top | #504
      Shine is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Russian Federation


      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      25
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      Liu Shiwen had a back injury. That said there are players playing doubles with no requirement to do so. Xu Xin despite saying that he can't recover like he did when he was younger is getting consistently registered in 3 events. My point is that while ITTF can do better, the players have to do things to show that this is not kosher as well. Playing all three events just makes it look like TT is a joke.
      I think the reason they're playing three categories is an eye on the team events of the Olympics as well, Fan/Xu will probably be the go-to pair but ML is playing doubles too because who knows he might be the one that has to pair with XX in the end like in the Team World Cup

    6. Top | #505
      Michal_Z is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Slovak Republic
      Michal_Z's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Gewo Alexander Valuch
      Forehand Rubber Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48
      Backhand Rubber Gewo Nexxus XT Pro 48

      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Slovakia
      Posts
      2,926
      Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 1,180 Times in 667 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Sali View Post
      I think this is the first XX expected. Patrick was very nervous in last set, so when you are in trouble and have a matchpoint, you Will probably serve long and hope your opponent Will miss it.
      Anyway XX is very fast and I do not think he could have trouble with long serve.
      Yet he came into the table to play banana, which he then changed to something else..

    7. Top | #506
      NoFootwork is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      113
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 160 Times in 63 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      And yet they play men's doubles. Give me a break.
      I've written before on this forum that ML in particular should not be playing any doubles. I thought it was insane for him to play doubles in WTTC after coming back from injury. He won that with WCQ. Now there are mentions of little injuries that he is fighting off and yet he continues in doubles. Protect the body for the Olympics.

      With the plastic/now abs ball the game has gotten a lot more taxing physically. ITTF is compounding this by holding so many back to back to back events which everyone needs to play for their ranking points. And with only the top 16 being seeded, more (intense) matches have to be played to get thru qualifying rounds as well as facing strong players from round 1 onwards for the seeded players. This is a recipe for more injuries and shortened careers for everyone. ITTF really needs to reconsider some of this to protect players. Isn't the player's association discussing this with ITTF?

    8. The Following User Likes NoFootwork's Post:

      anchorschmidt (07-14-2019)

    9. Top | #507
      NoFootwork is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      113
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 160 Times in 63 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by pongfugrasshopper View Post
      SYS is playing on a magical level right now. The Terminator is demanding an Olympic spot by virtue of her destroying the competition. Awesome to watch!
      Yes awesome crazy skills. However, not a fan of hers at all after her blatant cheating in WTTC doubles, falsely claiming net on a serve return she missed at a critical point in that match.

    10. The Following 4 Users Like NoFootwork's Post:

      BlipBlop575 (07-14-2019),PatriciaPinheiro (07-14-2019),Vlad Celler (07-14-2019),yoass (07-14-2019)

    11. Top | #508
      Vlad Celler is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Russian Federation


      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      487
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
      ..... However, not a fan of hers at all after her blatant cheating in WTTC doubles, falsely claiming net on a serve return she missed at a critical point in that match...

      I remember that too ......The unpleasant story was ....

    12. Top | #509
      yoass is offline
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      1,876
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 1,856 Times in 984 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NoFootwork View Post
      However, not a fan of hers at all after her blatant cheating in WTTC doubles, falsely claiming net …
      Yes, this is the only thing prominent in my mind whenever she plays. Clad in shame.

    13. The Following 2 Users Like yoass's Post:

      NoFootwork (07-14-2019),Vlad Celler (07-14-2019)

    14. Top | #510
      usualsuspect is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Dynasty Carbon
      Forehand Rubber yinhe/galaxy Big Dipper
      Backhand Rubber Friendship/729 Presto Speed

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Atlanta, US
      Posts
      583
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by tonybris View Post
      Franziska is playing so beautifully !
      Yes, he did. He also executed his game plan resolutely - short service to the middle, then long push to XX's BH corner.
      For a few sets, this tactic worked. But XX adjusted to it in the last few sets. XX expecting the long push and also started receiving Franziska's services short to the FH side. This caused Franziska a lot of troubles and he was not able to find a solution during the last set.
      This is why I love watching good tt matches. It's always about which player adjusts faster to his/her opponent's tactics and finding solutions to overcome these difficulties.

    15. The Following User Likes usualsuspect's Post:

      bobpuls (07-16-2019)

    16. Top | #511
      usualsuspect is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Dynasty Carbon
      Forehand Rubber yinhe/galaxy Big Dipper
      Backhand Rubber Friendship/729 Presto Speed

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Atlanta, US
      Posts
      583
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Celler View Post
      In any case, despite the opposition of the huge Chinese coaching machine, Mima Ito continues to strain the Chinese coaches ....Features of her playing style Chinese coaches literally laid out into atoms ....
      And yet .... Today, Ding Ning, in my opinion, maybe I am mistaken, barely gone from defeat ...
      In my opinion Ito has to mature more mentally. She should totally have won the match against DN. Ito was faster, had higher quality attacks, and played closer to the table. She had way more advantages in the match then DN, whose age is definitely showing now. Somehow, Ito's still let DN catch up and eventually losing the match.

      I really expected to see Ito play Sun Yingsha in the final. I didn't think Ito could beat SYS yet, but I know she could DN.

    17. The Following 2 Users Like usualsuspect's Post:

      Michal_Z (4 Weeks Ago),Vlad Celler (07-15-2019)

    18. Top | #512
      usualsuspect is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Dynasty Carbon
      Forehand Rubber yinhe/galaxy Big Dipper
      Backhand Rubber Friendship/729 Presto Speed

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Atlanta, US
      Posts
      583
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid View Post
      Has WCQ no respect for Brother Long? Good for the kid, and good for ML as well, he has to keep developing.
      I was really excited for the final of WCQ vs. XX. 2 lefties duking it out.
      I really wish WCQ could've played better in the final, but it looked like his chest muscle injury really affected him.
      He's FH attacks and counters were much weaker than in the previous matches. I saw his frustration and his will to fight, but his body just wasn't up to the task. I hope he recovers quickly.

    19. Top | #513
      pingpongpaddy is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Ireland


      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      15
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
      “Originally Posted by Yoass
      Originally Posted by NoFootwork
      However, not a fan of hers at all after her blatant cheating in WTTC doubles, falsely claiming net …



      Yes, this is the only thing prominent in my mind whenever she plays. Clad in shame.”

      Actually the umpire called net serve. SYS just repeated that to opponents. Players don’t have video replay in their heads. So it seems to me SYS try’s the return misses. When umpire calls net, maybe says to herself “that’s why I missed”
      When we look at the replay, its certainly not an obvious net, but the video replay is not conclusive. If it was a bad net call its sad for Japan, but no cheating involved as far as I can see.
      Last edited by pingpongpaddy; 07-15-2019 at 07:44 PM.

    20. Top | #514
      Ioiettino is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Europe
      Ioiettino's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Offensive S
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0mm
      Backhand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7 2.0mm

      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Location
      Strasbourg
      Posts
      420
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 303 Times in 188 Posts
      Either way, I feel it's tough giving her the stick for it for all eternity. I too wish it hadn't happened, but all proportions kept I am not sure it is enough to judge her character.

    21. Top | #515
      yoass is offline
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity II (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber DHS Gold Arc 8/50
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc G-1

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      1,876
      Reviews
      Read 6 Reviews
      Liked 1,856 Times in 984 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Ioiettino View Post
      Either way, I feel it's tough giving her the stick for it for all eternity. I too wish it hadn't happened, but all proportions kept I am not sure it is enough to judge her character.
      I’ve viewed, reviewed and reviewed the footage, and counted to three before speaking my piece.

      And still consider it a lewd steal.

      Eternity’s a long time, but redemption is there for the taking. All that is required is a selfless display of true sportspersonship. For example, by refusing erroneously awarded points and to award opponent unjustly withheld ones, many times over, and generously so, to name one thing.

    22. The Following 2 Users Like yoass's Post:

      PatriciaPinheiro (07-16-2019),Vlad Celler (07-16-2019)

    23. Top | #516
      pingpongpaddy is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Ireland


      Join Date
      Jul 2019
      Posts
      15
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yoass View Post
      I’ve viewed, reviewed and reviewed the footage, and counted to three before speaking my piece.

      And still consider it a lewd steal.

      Eternity’s a long time, but redemption is there for the taking. All that is required is a selfless display of true sportspersonship. For example, by refusing erroneously awarded points and to award opponent unjustly withheld ones, many times over, and generously so, to name one thing.
      I can see that you are sure its not a net. But what the video does not provide is evidence of what’s in the players heads and indeed if its the umpire that calls the net the decision is out of the players hands, because if you are playing for your country there is no way that you take it on yourself to second guess the umpire and maybe lose the match for your team.
      The other day I played a match where the opponent got an edge which I failed to return though I hit the ball. There was some discussion and eventually we worked out that it was good. But I was not able to say myself though I saw the ball clearly when I hit it. I was entirely focused on just trying to hit it. In the same way If I had been in SYS’s shoes I would have been focused on trying to return the serve (no easy task) and not on doing the umpires job.For that reason I can understand SYS’S point of view

    24. The Following User Likes pingpongpaddy's Post:

      darucla (07-15-2019)

    25. Top | #517
      NoFootwork is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Sep 2017
      Posts
      113
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 160 Times in 63 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by pingpongpaddy View Post
      I can see that you are sure its not a net. But what the video does not provide is evidence of what’s in the players heads and indeed if its the umpire that calls the net the decision is out of the players hands, because if you are playing for your country there is no way that you take it on yourself to second guess the umpire and maybe lose the match for your team.
      The other day I played a match where the opponent got an edge which I failed to return though I hit the ball. There was some discussion and eventually we worked out that it was good. But I was not able to say myself though I saw the ball clearly when I hit it. I was entirely focused on just trying to hit it. In the same way If I had been in SYS’s shoes I would have been focused on trying to return the serve (no easy task) and not on doing the umpires job.For that reason I can understand SYS’S point of view
      And yet we see over and over where players have given a point to their opponent if an umpire has missed a call. I have seen players walk to the scorer's table and adjust the score. I have seen a player deliberately miss the next shot to give the next point to the opponent if the umpire refuses to change their call.

      Yet SYS did none of this pretending it was a net (as did WMY.) The video does provide what is the player's head and its not good sportsmanship.

    26. The Following 2 Users Like NoFootwork's Post:

      PatriciaPinheiro (07-16-2019),Vlad Celler (07-16-2019)

    27. Top | #518
      laistrogian is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Australia

      Equipment:
      Blade Mizutani ZLC
      Forehand Rubber Rakza 7
      Backhand Rubber Fastarc G1

      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      621
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 369 Times in 229 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NoFootwork View Post
      And yet we see over and over where players have given a point to their opponent if an umpire has missed a call. I have seen players walk to the scorer's table and adjust the score. I have seen a player deliberately miss the next shot to give the next point to the opponent if the umpire refuses to change their call.

      Yet SYS did none of this pretending it was a net (as did WMY.) The video does provide what is the player's head and its not good sportsmanship.
      I don't get how we live in an era where ITTF is bothered to check the spin rotation of a winner but can't afford to put some sort of sensor on the net to check for vibration if it was a let serve or to put camera system on the sidelines to check where the ball hit.

      You can never rely on the umpire, there are so incompetence ITTF umpire who I don't even know how they managed to be an official umpire for a world tour.

      I was sitting down watching in the spectator area when I can hear the ball hit the edge of the table and yet the umpires are completely confused who should be rewarded the point. If they are too tired, it's simply ITTF and their failure to consider this factor.

    28. The Following User Likes laistrogian's Post:

      PatriciaPinheiro (07-16-2019)

    29. Top | #519
      zeio is offline
      says IQ < 100
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      2,815
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,359 Times in 1,708 Posts


    30. The Following 3 Users Like zeio's Post:

      Michal_Z (4 Weeks Ago),PatriciaPinheiro (07-16-2019),RidTheKid (07-16-2019)

    31. Top | #520
      pongfugrasshopper is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States


      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      54
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by laistrogian View Post
      I don't get how we live in an era where ITTF is bothered to check the spin rotation of a winner but can't afford to put some sort of sensor on the net to check for vibration if it was a let serve or to put camera system on the sidelines to check where the ball hit.

      You can never rely on the umpire, there are so incompetence ITTF umpire who I don't even know how they managed to be an official umpire for a world tour.

      I was sitting down watching in the spectator area when I can hear the ball hit the edge of the table and yet the umpires are completely confused who should be rewarded the point. If they are too tired, it's simply ITTF and their failure to consider this factor.
      I remember when this incident occurred, I was pretty mad at SYS like many were. But looking back I think most of the blame has to go to the umpire. I've watched the point over and over both in real time and in slow motion and I think the umpire's mind must have been playing tricks on her. Now calling the umpire incompetent is a bit harsh so I'm not going to do that. But on such a crucial point, I don't know what's going through her mind to make that call. As for SYS, I have to acknowledge the immense pressure she was under. She's 18 years old and playing for China at the World Championship. And she would not be doing it just for herself but has to consider her partner. Even though I thought she should have given the point to Japan, I think it's time to forgive ... And I'm a huge fan of Mima Ito and Hina Hayata.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP