Australian Open 2019 [Platinum]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I have much less knowledge about professional table tennis than many of you here in this forum, so please correct me if I am wrong, but:

Maharu Yoshimura didn't do too badly against Wang Chuqin in the prelim. He is also a better doubles player than TH, JM and KN.
It's safe to say that TH will play in the Olympics, but I am not sure about Jun Mizutani's and especially about Koki Niwa's spot.

I can't help but feel like if Koki keeps underperforming for a while, that Maharu Yoshimura has a realistic chance to get a spot for the olympics.

So I am interested to see the matches of KN and JM in this open even more than usual!

What's your thoughts?

Hi, Nemo. Posted my thoughts on the Japanese Men's Olympic selection on the "Japan Women's Race to 2020 Olympic Singles" thread. Didn't want to derail this thread regarding the Australian Open and the Japanese Men's Olympic Selection process will inevitably affect that Japanese Women's team as well.

Here's the link:
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...pan-Women-s-Race-to-Tokyo-2020-Singles/page15

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Watched ML play and if he's 100 % fit both mentally and physically the reality is that he's lost a lot in his lateral movement. He loses many points out on his wide fh (yes even more than before :)), and vs players he would've destroyed 4-0 three years ago bring him troubles today. Surely he's aging like we all are but the contrast is really there. He's not the same, and I don't think he'll win in Tokyo. So who's gonna win in Tokyo?

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
That's a shame.. I always thought Harimoto would be the next Waldner and be the one to finally end the chinese dominance but it seems that i was wrong... Oh well, guess i'll have to wait a 100 more years for there to actually be someone like that..

You actually have to wait a few decades before you can arrive a this conclusion. It's rare for a 16 year old to be a this level already. He's still developing (in many ways), and the simple fact that young players have to adapt to getting taller and heavier (which happens in spurts) more or less all the time exacerbates the normal, but often already quite stark, shape and form fluctuations all players have.

Give it time. See what he's like at 30 first.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Watched ML play and if he's 100 % fit both mentally and physically the reality is that he's lost a lot in his lateral movement. He loses many points out on his wide fh (yes even more than before :)), and vs players he would've destroyed 4-0 three years ago bring him troubles today. Surely he's aging like we all are but the contrast is really there. He's not the same, and I don't think he'll win in Tokyo. So who's gonna win in Tokyo?

That's a year out, which is a very very long time.

At this point I'm not even that certain that Tokyo 2020 will even happen. We lack the geopolitical stability that such confidence in a stable future requires, and we're trending downwards, not upwards there.

That being said, a year is a very long time indeed. Pigs may fly and ZJK might rediscover his hunger. The Korean contingent may find inner peace and rise two levels. Xu Xins reinvention of himself may continue. Timo Boll might make his final stance. Who knows?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Seamaster 2019 ITTF World Tour Platinum, Australian Open.jpg

Reactions: akoozab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes a year is a long time, but in this case that's only something negative for ML. Unless he's taking 6 months off again to recuperate any injuries and rest up fully and return 1-2 months before Tokyo I don't see him defending his gold in Rio.

Are you referring to these issues in Japan: https://punchng.com/five-challenges-facing-japan/

I wonder what is required for Xu Xin to get the second singles spot in Tokyo.

That's a year out, which is a very very long time.

At this point I'm not even that certain that Tokyo 2020 will even happen. We lack the geopolitical stability that such confidence in a stable future requires, and we're trending downwards, not upwards there.

That being said, a year is a very long time indeed. Pigs may fly and ZJK might rediscover his hunger. The Korean contingent may find inner peace and rise two levels. Xu Xins reinvention of himself may continue. Timo Boll might make his final stance. Who knows?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Yes a year is a long time, but in this case that's only something negative for ML. Unless he's taking 6 months off again to recuperate any injuries and rest up fully and return 1-2 months before Tokyo I don't see him defending his gold in Rio.

Are you referring to these issues in Japan: https://punchng.com/five-challenges-facing-japan/

I wonder what is required for Xu Xin to get the second singles spot in Tokyo.
just because ML per your observation has lost a step or two does not mean he will not win gold. You have to provide a more likely winner to make your point

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
just because ML per your observation has lost a step or two does not mean he will not win gold. You have to provide a more likely winner to make your point
Losing a step or two is pretty significant for a CNT athlete. I think if selected, Xu Xin has a very good chance of beating ML. He's no longer the clown that LGL thought he was in the past. His BH is now a weapon instead of a liability, and of course he's always had great forehand power. He's going to be extremely motivated having never tasted singles at an Olympics. He's 29 now and will be 30 at 2020 Tokyo Olympics so this very will could be his last chance.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Losing a step or two is pretty significant for a CNT athlete. I think if selected, Xu Xin has a very good chance of beating ML. He's no longer the clown that LGL thought he was in the past. His BH is now a weapon instead of a liability, and of course he's always had great forehand power. He's going to be extremely motivated having never tasted singles at an Olympics. He's 29 now and will be 30 at 2020 Tokyo Olympics so this very will could be his last chance.
point well taken, XX did well in the last tournament...unless he does the same and beat ML again a few more times, I would not consider him a favourite over ML so this is all speculation, not concrete results

This user has no status.
;)
very talented + very ambitious +very young +very high expectations of him =burnout. He just needs a little bit more time to get more emotional strength IMHO.

I feel like we might be making up excuses for HT.
By this logic, FZD should be in a perpetual state of burnout, since he had an international presence at a young age too. Just think about how long he's been in the top 3 on world ranking.

Even if Harimoto is the only hope of team Japan, it's ok (or maybe even expected) for him to lose to China. FZD was being groomed by CNT, he is expected to not lose to anyone. Even with the recent losses, HT is still firmly the top Japanese player. If FZD doesn't perform well consistently, there are other good players waiting to take his spot.

This user has no status.
You actually have to wait a few decades before you can arrive a this conclusion. It's rare for a 16 year old to be a this level already. He's still developing (in many ways), and the simple fact that young players have to adapt to getting taller and heavier (which happens in spurts) more or less all the time exacerbates the normal, but often already quite stark, shape and form fluctuations all players have.
Give it time. See what he's like at 30 first.

I really hope HT fixes his forehand stroke. His BH is great, but his FH is a liability. If he doesn't fix it, it will become an even greater liability in the future.
Just look at the beautiful FH strokes of Lin Yun-Ju and WCQ, so quick, powerful, and consistent. They really put Harimoto's desperate FH slaps to shame.
But the chance of Harimoto fixing his FH is not great at this point. Most players have solidified their FH strokes by the age of 13 or 14. Ma Long was already using the same FH strokes when he was 14.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I feel like we might be making up excuses for HT.
By this logic, FZD should be in a perpetual state of burnout, since he had an international presence at a young age too. Just think about how long he's been in the top 3 on world ranking.

Even if Harimoto is the only hope of team Japan, it's ok (or maybe even expected) for him to lose to China. FZD was being groomed by CNT, he is expected to not lose to anyone. Even with the recent losses, HT is still firmly the top Japanese player. If FZD doesn't perform well consistently, there are other good players waiting to take his spot.
I remember FZD when he was 15 at polish open, he won final against Zhou Yu. I was there and I saw how much power and consistence he has. Everybody thought he is going to beat everyone everytime in few years. Time passed and he is less consistent then 2-3years ago.
Same situation can happen to harimoto, but still he is the best japanese player nowadays.
IMO Japan should concentrate now how to achieve 2 bronze medals in singles and 2 silver medals in teams. Which is not that obvious.
Timo Boll some years ago was considered to take gold in olympics but he has not even bronze in singles.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I really hope HT fixes his forehand stroke. His BH is great, but his FH is a liability. If he doesn't fix it, it will become an even greater liability in the future.

He did lack FH power and maybe still does, but to me that FH looked pretty much like work in progress for most of this year. In transition, under comstruction. For better or for worse, it doesn’t look solidified just yet, while TH has undergone substantial physical development. I’m not ready to write him off as of yet.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Harimoto has been working on his FH since his sounding defeat to LJK in Korea Open 2018. The problem right now is not his stroke. It has to do with his stance and footwork. I'll probably post a video and write more on this after this Australian Open.

So busy catching up on these interviews.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Harimoto has been working on his FH since his sounding defeat to LJK in Korea Open 2018. The problem right now is not his stroke. It has to do with his stance and footwork. I'll probably post a video and write more on this after this Australian Open.

So busy catching up on these interviews.

I have written about this on mytt as well. His stance is way too backhand oriented and he needs to get stronger so he can hit good backhands and forehands from an open position.

Reactions: yoass and zeio