Australian Open 2019 [Platinum]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Patric Franzisca Picks up Ball.jpgDing Ning Preparing a Backhand Topspin.jpgSun Yingsha Reaches to Return a Topspin Shot.jpgHere are a few photos from the Finals Night. I personally really enjoyed the event. The XX vs PF was a brilliant match, both the crowd and the match were amazing!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
And yet we see over and over where players have given a point to their opponent if an umpire has missed a call. I have seen players walk to the scorer's table and adjust the score. I have seen a player deliberately miss the next shot to give the next point to the opponent if the umpire refuses to change their call.

Yet SYS did none of this pretending it was a net (as did WMY.) The video does provide what is the player's head and its not good sportsmanship.

I would say the video is NOT evidence of what’s in the players Head. Evidence means proof. The video shows the serve passing over the net and not appearing to deviate (but you need slo mo at a better resolution to be sure); it shows Ito’s and Hayata’s joy at winning;it shows the umpire calling a let; it shows WMY SYS responding to the umpire (which imho is what the Chinese coach is probably telling them off for at the end of the match esp SYS gesture toward the net (because this caused the spectator reaction)). This is all very bad and frustrating to the spectator and forum fan boys, but what experienced match players know is that net contacts can be VERY FINE and maybe the umpire has very good eyesight and she is the one whose job it is look out for a net at the time. The players focus on playing the ball and on opponents movement - they will see obvious nets but they have to trust the umpire for non obvious ones. I bet the Chinese and Japanese are both trained to be sporting, but that will include not giving away points on an issue you cant be sure about. The Chinese pair let the Japanese pair know that the umpire saw a let. They did NOT tell the umpire that a net occurred.
This is the truth of the matter- less exciting than a cheating scandal, but that’s good.
@laistrogian BTW I agree that many umpires at events seem inexperienced and that video replay would be nice, but technically expensive (equipment & staff training) and technically difficult too.
Sorry to be so long winded. Thats all I have to say on this one :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
"Gratz", haha love it :D Anyway, I think Xu Xin will take LGL's job in the future, he understands the game so well and always ready to provide good analysis. And there's no higher praise for Franziska than to be put on the same level as a Chinese player. Hope Fran can keep it up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I was really excited for the final of WCQ vs. XX. 2 lefties duking it out.
I really wish WCQ could've played better in the final, but it looked like his chest muscle injury really affected him.
He's FH attacks and counters were much weaker than in the previous matches. I saw his frustration and his will to fight, but his body just wasn't up to the task. I hope he recovers quickly.
Its really weird.. I mean - come on, he is just 19! (?) .. and already injured..
They must be doing something wrong..

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
Chinese rubbers are demanding.

That they are. The Chinese FH stroke is demanding too.
CNT players pay a price for their powerfully beautiful FH strokes/counter-loops close to the table.
The sensible thing to do is to flat hit like Harimoto when you are close to the table. It's weak, but it doesn't cause injury.
Counter-looping frequently close to the table like WCQ should cause injuries.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
hehe, go big or go home - playing for the big prizes here - and just because he pulled something at his age does it prove that something is wrong with his method

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That they are. The Chinese FH stroke is demanding too.
CNT players pay a price for their powerfully beautiful FH strokes/counter-loops close to the table.
The sensible thing to do is to flat hit like Harimoto when you are close to the table. It's weak, but it doesn't cause injury.
Counter-looping frequently close to the table like WCQ should cause injuries.
I agree. Long term DHS rubber user here. With a full stroke H3 can produce power loop far more spinny than T05 or any ESN rubber can produce.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
His technique doesn't have to be off to be injured, he might just be unlucky, not everyone is built the same way. I can honestly say that his ball hit (the split second the ball impacts his rubber) is among the best I've ever seen. He generate tremendous speed on the ball despite not having a very physical frame. He has very fluid motions, looks so natural.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
I am not talking about method.
I am talking about age and injury.
I mean - if he would treat the body wisely, he just cant have such an injury.
There must be something wrong.
Food or relaxations or something..

Most CNT players have relatively short professional careers. Most retire when they are a little past 30.
This is due to heavy training load plus competition everyday. This causes chronic muscle fatigue, which promotes more injuries. For example ZJK's back injury is due to his heavy training and usage of BH techniques. Similarly, WCQ's chest injury is probably due to his over training and usage of FH strokes close to the table. The Chinese FH stroke generally derive more power from the legs and hips. When away from the table, a player has enough time to use legs and hips to power FH stroke; when close to the table, he has to more on chest and arm to power FH stroke. Arm and chest are naturally weaker than legs, hence much easier to fatigue and injure.
With the new ranking system, CNT players have even less time to recover after each competition.

Reactions: Vlad Celler