Australian Open 2019 [Platinum]

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
For the women singles preliminary, Hina Hayata got a chinese in the first match (round 2) - Li Jiayi,
Also very interresting in round 3 it seems Nina Mittelham will play Han Ying (clash of two "german" players) ..
If Hasimoto beats Mori Sakura, she may to play Mu Zi in round 3..
Liu Weishan vs. Yu Mengyu in round 2..
Nagasaki will most likely play Zhang Qiang in round 3..
Sun Yingsha playing another chinese in round 2 (Yang Huijing - I never heared that before)

Han Ying is twice older than Soma Yumeno .... ... Both players are defenders ....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
SYS is already in the TOP 10 next month .. Without taking into account the results of Australia and T-2 ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
They still travel by AIR, even though we're approaching the peak of the sixth (and largest ever in earth's history) mass extinction event (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction)? Wow. :rolleyes:

Don't know about you, but I travel by air alot and I don't enjoy it.
Its not comfortable unless you in business, and its a waste of time. 2 hours before take off, the flight time, and about 1 hour after you land. or the case of Australia, 2 hours after you land

I saw even how Ito and Hirano was like when the planed schedule for them to fly to Cape Town was rescheduled
they arrived on the eve of the WJC and anyone can see they were heavily jetlagged the first 2 to 3 days

Last edited:
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Don't know about you, but I travel by air alot and I don't enjoy it.

I actually stopped doing that a couple of years ago. I recognize your remarks about discomfort and aggrevation, and I found the "crowd control" measures — security theatre, which aims to take the humanity (and the fight) out of you, browbeating you into submission to stupid, debasing and rigid procedures increasingly unpalatable. I don't think it's gotten any better since, and we're certainly nowhere near "future proof" flight technology anyway.

Then again, some have fun going to airports, consider it a fun day out to visit one. Part of the cattle might enjoy the slaughterhouse as well, but I don't really get that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I actually stopped doing that a couple of years ago. I recognize your remarks about discomfort and aggrevation, and I found the "crowd control" measures — security theatre, which aims to take the humanity (and the fight) out of you, browbeating you into submission to stupid, debasing and rigid procedures increasingly unpalatable. I don't think it's gotten any better since, and we're certainly nowhere near "future proof" flight technology anyway.

Then again, some have fun going to airports, consider it a fun day out to visit one. Part of the cattle might enjoy the slaughterhouse as well, but I don't really get that.

Its gotten worse

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
When I saw the draw, and remembering that both FZD's and PF's last encounters were really close, I had this eery feeling that Fan may be knocked out in the second round with this bad form.
Something I noticed after his loss to JYS was surprising: Usually after wins, the coach and the player still talk seriously about the match and what the player should have done in some march situation, and in losses they spend even more time with a hint of the coach berating the player, but I was surprised to see FZD just crouch and pack his bags, and Wang Hao put his hands on Zhendong's shoulders and was talking and Zhendong nodding in a sort of " it's okay, You'll work on it " sort of conversation, Not that that's bad but from Wang Hao that wants his disciple to be an Olympic Champion, I'm surprised he's not firmer and demanding to him, I'm sure Qin Zhijian would have lambasted FZD after that loss, I remember coach Qin said that 2017 Grand Final was a test of Wang Hao coaching ability if he could coach FZD,

When I saw the draw, and remembering that both FZD's and PF's last encounters were really close, I had this eery feeling that Fan may be knocked out in the second round with this bad form.
Something I noticed after his loss to JYS was surprising: Usually after wins, the coach and the player still talk seriously about the match and what the player should have done in some march situation, and in losses they spend even more time with a hint of the coach berating the player, but I was surprised to see FZD just crouch and pack his bags, and Wang Hao put his hands on Zhendong's shoulders and was talking and Zhendong nodding in a sort of " it's okay, You'll work on it " sort of conversation, Not that that's bad but from Wang Hao that wants his disciple to be an Olympic Champion, I'm surprised he's not firmer and demanding to him, I'm sure Qin Zhijian would have lambasted FZD after that loss, I remember coach Qin said that 2017 Grand Final was a test of Wang Hao coaching ability if he could coach FZD,

Entirely my speculation without evidence.

But my suspicion is that they made a decision to use the Korean open to to transition his backhand against top competition.

He had gone back to playing a lot of those massive whipping backhands he used to play a few years ago, rather than the shorter stroke he'd been doing for a very long time now. I found them very noticeable in both his doubles and single games and was thinking at the time "now that's a shot I don't see him play very often now".

Given that the Korean open was not a platinum event, it would make sense if his backhand was mid-transition, and Wang Hao and FZD made the decision to use the competition to test it against high level competition in a competitive context knowing it was not fully cleaned up yet. So it would make sense that they are not THAT disappointed, because they knew his game was shaky at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Entirely my speculation without evidence.

But my suspicion is that they made a decision to use the Korean open to to transition his backhand against top competition.

He had gone back to playing a lot of those massive whipping backhands he used to play a few years ago, rather than the shorter stroke he'd been doing for a very long time now. I found them very noticeable in both his doubles and single games and was thinking at the time "now that's a shot I don't see him play very often now".

Given that the Korean open was not a platinum event, it would make sense if his backhand was mid-transition, and Wang Hao and FZD made the decision to use the competition to test it against high level competition in a competitive context knowing it was not fully cleaned up yet. So it would make sense that they are not THAT disappointed, because they knew his game was shaky at the time.
The actual explanation is much simpler though your take is far more detailed than mine. FZD struggled in the very first match vs Xu Chenhao to find his backhand form. So from then on, he pretty much never found it throughout the tournament and was the JYS loss as a natural consequence of that loss of form. He didn't want to overthink it beyond that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hysteresis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
So some early results..
Flore beat Xu Yingbin 4:3, close encounter, Xu Chenhao knocked out Lam Siu Hang 4:1, Ma Lin lost to Sunaput 4:1, Ma Te won 4:0, Xue Fei beat in huge battle Togami Shunsuke 4:3, Sun Wen 4:2 Jin Takuya, Han Ying beat the young japanese defender 4:1, Mittelham also won so they will battle, Yu Mengyu is out 4:0 after losing to Liu Weishan, chinese Liu Fei is out by Choi Hyojoo, ..
And right now Wang Chuqin destroying Dani Mudit on table 2..

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Not this crap again. We have the ump sitting on the far side of the table not being able to tell the top edge from side edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi