ex- low end intermediate player seeks rubber to Donic Waldner Carbon Senso blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hi everyone!

After a 7 year long hiatus I am getting really interested in playing table tennis again. I was playing table tennis when I was between 11 and 15 and back then I could be described as an intermediate player at best. The group I played with was the "strongest" recreational group in my club, (I never really competed since I couldn't stand losing lol). The strong parts of my game was my backhand and my serves, my backhand was very dominant and my backhand "flicks" and loops was what I won my games with. I could use my backhand close to the table attacking all kind of spins and I could also use it a step or two back from the table "looping" and smashing. Due to my strong backhand dominance I never took my self the time to learn proper forehand technique and as a result my forehand was very lacking in comparison to my backhand. At the end of my "career" I started to learn basic forehand looping technique but my forehand was not very consistent and I could only really loop against top spin. When playing against people better than me it was apparent that my backhand was quite strong but I got demolished due to my forehand technique.

At the time I was playing with a Donic Waldner Carbon Senso V1 and donic quattro formula rubbers (8- speed, 8- control, 10+ spin, Off-) and felt that I had pretty good control in general but on the backhand side it felt a little slow at times. When picking up my bat now the blade looks pretty good, it has a smallish mark on the top after hitting the table but otherwise it is okey. After reading about the blade it seems to have good reviews in general and be somewhat beginner friendly so I decided to keep it. The Rubbers however seems to have lost their tackiness and considering that they are probably ten years old it seems reasonable to switch them.

So considering this, what rubber would you suggest that I get? I would like to use the rubber while trying to get into higher end intermediate level territory which for me means that I atleast regain my backhand again while also having an equally strong forehand. I would preferably not want something too advanced nor expensive since it is my technique that needs focus and not the equipment.

Thanks in advance best forum!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Someone who has trained for 4 years in a structured way at that age in a Swedish club is probably quite good. My advice would be to ask around in the club where you play now or call TTEX or Sydsport and ask them for advice if you're no longer a member of a club.

The blade is for sure still good enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Thanks for the suggestions! If it is not too inhibiting to my technique I think I will keep the rubbers for a couple of sessions and after that look into upgrading the rubbers. Both the Vega suggestions and the butterfly one look very interesting.