Jonathan Groth touching the table when the point is in play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
It's before the ball is in play. He takes it away right as Xue's toss hits the top of the arc. Use , and . to go forward/backward a frame at a time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
The ball is is in play the moment the ball leaves the hand.

Thank you - that's correct, so it is clearly illegal:

2.5.2 The ball is in play from the last moment at which it is stationary on the palm of
the free hand before being intentionally projected in service until the rally is
decided as a let or a point.

I should have checked before posting ;)

Reactions: phorkyas
Seems to be weirdly pushing against the rules for no real gain.

I mean, it's unlikely to be called, because it breaks the flow of the game for something that has obviously no advantage. The umpire is unlikely to call something this trivial.

On the other hand it IS technically against the rules, I don't know why they wouldn't just want to break that habit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Seems to be weirdly pushing against the rules for no real gain.

I mean, it's unlikely to be called, because it breaks the flow of the game for something that has obviously no advantage. The umpire is unlikely to call something this trivial.

On the other hand it IS technically against the rules, I don't know why they wouldn't just want to break that habit.

It clearly can has an advantage; opponent not seeing the the contact with the ball/not seeing the ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
I think we have some confusion here. I think there are two separate instances of Groth potentially touching the table.

1) Groth is clearly touching the table when Xue starts his toss. I have touched the table prior to play to 'precisely' measure my distance from the table for the receive, so I believe he is using this as an aid. He just needs to stop touching before the toss (very minor imo, but still against the rules, and should be called). https://youtu.be/Ml36rhHtZbA?t=279 (just one of many instances)

2) Groth also might be touching the table in his own service motion - as he moves the free hand away, it appears to brush the table top (I cannot be sure here). This is purely a bad habit, but call him on it imo, and it will stop pronto. https://youtu.be/Ml36rhHtZbA?t=274

So neither is changing the game/rally, but are both illegal and unnecessary imo.

We have carefully worded rules for a reason, and letting minor things slip can lead to the situation we have with rampant hidden serves that are not called.

...Dave...

[Edit] - on review of the video, he is definitely touching the table on his own serve at times. Clearly illegal.

Last edited: