T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I think what Usualsuspect is saying, if Dima is in a slump, he will still end up going to the Olympics.
Dima and Timo Boll basically (if not injured) will have a free pass.

For Germany, it makes no difference. Dima hardly will have peer pressure like FZD

I'm not quite so sure about this as you are. Franziska has been playing great lately and he already has a sure spot in Tokyo in the team and mixed doubles events due to his strong doubles play.

Dima has never really regained the level of his amazing 2017 season since then (possibly due to a number of injuries, I believe?).

He's still a solid player - one of the top players in Europe for sure, but he still seems to be looking for the form that will make him a "contender"/top 5-10 player again.

Franziska on the other hand is playing really well at the moment in both singles and doubles events as mentioned. He has always been considered a great talent, but a number of different injuries might have held him back from fulfilling his potential. If for the rest of the year he can continue this hot streak (maybe even build his confidence further) and avoid injuries, MAYBE he can surpass Dima in the fight for the second singles spot? :confused:

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Hirano has gotten better at tweaking on-the-fly. Say, from 6:4 to 6:7, she cut down on the shot quality and instead focused on placement and spin, especially when serving, to regain the lead. Doesn't mindlessly go for the kill as much now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
But isn't one of the advantages of defenders that they expend less energy against attacking players in a direct matchup?

If the games only go to 5, doesn't that just take tiring the out the opponent out of the equation?

Fundamentally, the 5 point games don't systematically give the advantage to anyone (except maybe to the player stronger under pressure). You still have to win more points than your opponent to win the game, and win more games to win the match.

It just means a less favoured player has a higher chance or upsetting the favourite since the variance is now higher. Dragging the game into 5 pointers doesn't make any strategic sense unless you feel like your opponent *should* be winning the game, or if you think they are weaker than you under pressure.

I actually think that Fast5 games could be an interesting alternative to the current expedite rules?

Jan 2018
FTW is making good use of the Fast5 rule. Serve and attack and hope for the best.

First-to-11 and Fast5 give young(and Japanese) players so much grief.

Japanese netizens are going nuts right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
FTW is making good use of the Fast5 rule. Serve and attack and hope for the best.

First-to-11 and Fast5 give young(and Japanese) players so much grief.

Japanese netizens are going nuts right now.

Says a lot about experience and adaptability.

Jan 2018
Hilarious to see both Ito and Hirano hold back once Fast5 kicked in. Very untypical of youngsters.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
First time FTW won a match against Hirano since 2016.
Ironic isn't it, just Ishikawa & Kato left. Cornelia, pls make things right...

Even if Kasumi advances, she faces SYS next. Kato encounters CM tomorrow. Things are not looking good but I do hope Kasumi wins.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hilarious to see both Ito and Hirano hold back once Fast5 kicked in. Very untypical of youngsters.

Ito was down 1-3 in normal play and came back to eventually lose in the 7th set. I dont think you can say she hold back in the F5, when she nearly made a comeback just because of the F5-rule in the first place.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Unviable novelty ITTF ...
For the benefit of only the Chinese, they have the opportunity to regulate the composition of the participants, and of course they do it in their favor .....

Jan 2018
Ito was down 1-3 in normal play and came back to eventually lose in the 7th set. I dont think you can say she hold back in the F5, when she nearly made a comeback just because of the F5-rule in the first place.

Yes, she held back once Fast5 kicked in after 1-3, especially in the last game when she started pushing shots that she'd have normally punched.