T2 Diamond 2019 | Malaysia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Harimoto just keeps giving disappointing performances over and over again. Really don't know what happened to him lately. Unless he improves his consistency and his general level i honestly can't see him even getting a medal in Tokyo at this point, and that would really suck.

Harimoto is going through FZD kind of slump right now. Good thing is Harimoto will definitely get through it. Not sure about FZD though. It will be rather surprising if he wins against Calderano.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Harimoto is going through FZD kind of slump right now. Good thing is Harimoto will definitely get through it. Not sure about FZD though. It will be rather surprising if he wins against Calderano.
why HT will definitely get thru it and FZD? FZD have a more complete game.

This user has no status.
why HT will definitely get thru it and FZD? FZD have a more complete game.

To be honest, FZD is in a tougher spot than Harimoto. FZD faces much tougher competition from within his own national association.
Harimoto is still firmly the best male player Japan has to offer.
Also, Harimoto is 16. Young players are known to have greater ups and downs than older players.
FZD is 22. He's not a young player anymore. When he's in a consistent slump, it's much more concerning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
if you are talking about comp within a country it is one thing but within ITTF it is another - what you are saying is - it does not matter if HT is playing shit and might be for a long time because his country is playing even worst. At the same time his rank will drop but is ok relative to his country. not my line of thinking but that is ok also

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
if you are talking about comp within a country it is one thing but within ITTF it is another - what you are saying is - it does not matter if HT is playing shit and might be for a long time because his country is playing even worst. At the same time his rank will drop but is ok relative to his country. not my line of thinking but that is ok also

I think what Usualsuspect is saying, if Dima is in a slump, he will still end up going to the Olympics
FZD and XX - one of them has a chance of never going to the Olympic (singles), because of the strength and generational updates that occur.
Just like LSW and CM may also never go to the olypmics.

Dima and Timo Boll basically (if not injured) will have a free pass. Maybe the later is now questionable, but for many countries, it is clear who will be going.
In terms of Japan mens team, they don't have much choices and HT through this slump is till pretty much they main weapon for the Olympics.
It will need someone in Japan to take away that status, unless HT slumps to super low (loosing to a world top 20 player is not super low)

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I think what Usualsuspect is saying, if Dima is in a slump, he will still end up going to the Olympics
FZD and XX - one of them has a chance of never going to the Olympic (singles), because of the strength and generational updates that occur.
Just like LSW and CM may also never go to the Olypmics.

Dima and Timo Boll basically (if not injured) will have a free pass. Maybe the later is now questionable, but for many countries, it is clear who will be going.
In terms of Japan mens team, they don't have much choices and HT through this slump is till pretty much they main weapon for the Olympics.
It will need someone in Japan to take away that status, unless HT slumps to super low (loosing to a world top 20 player is not super low)
thanks for your addition of Olympics into the discussion as a more specific point for comp within the country

This user has no status.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was defending Harimoto in saying that he's a young player and is expected to have greater ups and downs. It's not a big deal.
My point is that FZD should not be going through such great slumps at his age, which is more concerning.
Idk why you would think I was putting Harimoto down in any ways.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
thanks for your addition of Olympics into the discussion as a more specific point for comp within the country

well, FZD can easily get replaced. CNT only have 3 to 5 players as the main force.
The rest will just become support role and 25 years old is sometimes a make it or break it age. Beyond 25 and no title on you, then you are pretty much past the sell by date.

HT will likely be the main strength for JNT to come in the coming 5 to 10 years.
He will not has at much pressure of being replaced, as the JNT system is on the player, whereby CNT system is on the coach

and yes, Olympic is the whole planning process of these teams.
I know for weaker teams like Canada, maybe they won't use the Olympic cycle. But for both JNT and CNT, the planning, player development, tournament allocations etc is all based on Olympic cycle.

And I can comfortable say, HT is a beneficiary of Tokyo 2020 Olympics budget allocation. Likewise with the youngsters in the women's team too.

If you take Olympic out of the equation, everything will be different for China and Japan

For Germany, it makes no difference. Dima hardly will have peer pressure like FZD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was defending Harimoto in saying that he's a young player and is expected to have greater ups and downs. It's not a big deal.
My point is that FZD should not be going through such great slumps at his age, which is more concerning.
Idk why you would think I was putting Harimoto down in any ways.
I didn't think that at all

Evolve, the game will evolve :-D
Good strategy though, drag it out and force 5 pts games. As defenders they’re trained to have the patience to grind it out. :)

But isn't one of the advantages of defenders that they expend less energy against attacking players in a direct matchup?

If the games only go to 5, doesn't that just take tiring the out the opponent out of the equation?

Fundamentally, the 5 point games don't systematically give the advantage to anyone (except maybe to the player stronger under pressure). You still have to win more points than your opponent to win the game, and win more games to win the match.

It just means a less favoured player has a higher chance or upsetting the favourite since the variance is now higher. Dragging the game into 5 pointers doesn't make any strategic sense unless you feel like your opponent *should* be winning the game, or if you think they are weaker than you under pressure.