Wrist pain

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi TTlovers! I'm coming back from several months of full work, so I didn't trained at all, yesterday I had a rally with some friends, and I've got a wrist pain, from the down side, because when I hold the racquet, I have to align the hand with the arm to get straight, the issue now is maybe I've let the wrist so soft that may be I've got a harm in a tendon I've felt that since a was looping and powerlooping, I've asked to a trainer, and he told me is it normal, but I don't remember, holding the handle were so painful! Can you tell if that happened to you, and if is it common or I'm doing something wrong and for sure need to fix it. Thanks in advance!

This user has no status.
I second Yogi's recommendation - it's worth seeing a specialized doctor for evaluation (i.e., a hand surgeon).

- First and foremost, DO NOT PLAY! It's not worth it, however much you may want to do so. I played through the pain and ended up really screwing up my wrist - I was out for months while I waited for my wrist to heal.

- If I understand you correctly, it's the side of your wrist closer to your pinky than your thumb (i.e., ulnar). That part of your wrist is a web of connective tendons, cartilage and tissue - it's often hurt in racket sports and can take a notoriously long time to heal if seriously injured.

- Ignore your trainer - I'm guessing he or she is not a doctor. If it hurts enough just to hold your racket, it's not normal. The doctor can do a manual inspection and give you a brace if needed (or worst case, perform surgery).

- When you start playing again, take it easy - see if you can find out something in your technique that caused unnecessary wrist strain. For me, when I hit a penhold forehand out of position, I had a bad habit to excessively pronate.

Hope it's nothing serious and best of luck!

Reactions: dominus7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
This is the side, yes it looks like a tendon, but it hurts just when I put the hand like that, may be the stress to the articulation is affecting, and I'm going to go to a kinesiologist, but here is holiday today and tomorrow, that's why asked first over here. Thanks
490093e4550589391f14c0f2342a3d1d.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
SEE A DOCTOR

If you do play a lot TT , your TT technique may be a cause.
If TT is not the main cause, TT might may aggravate the pain

fyi, if your daily job involves using computers all day, then this is more likely to be the reason. Learn how to have a better posture and use ergonomic keyboard, wrist rest, and trackballs instead of mouse. I recommend KENSINGTON products. You may want to purchase their products anyway given your wrist condition

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I had that problem before. Do you overuse your wrist when adding spin to your loops?
May be, I didn't realize that could the a reason, but I just played by one night a tournament between friends, and happened this, I'm not playing anymore till go to the doc. But the pain it appears only when I use that position, I mean when I align the bat straight with the arm.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This whole thread is pretty funny.

Dominus, wait till your wrist feels fully recovered. I have a feeling you didn't do anything to bad to it. When it is fully recovered and you have not carried a stove in the recent past, then try playing but start off slowly. If you have not played for several months, you need to not over do it the first time you play again.

Your body still knows how to do everything. But your body is out of shape for the actions of playing TT so it is easier to injure yourself when that is the case. Add that to carrying the stove with the concrete in it (I am not 100% sure I believe this--why wouldn't you take the concrete out before carrying the stove) and you have a recipe for injury. But, I am sure it wasn't a big injury.

However, if 4-5 days from now your wrist is still bothering you, then, you should go to a doctor. For now, rest your wrist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If U waz in da Army, your Sergeant would cuss U out for being a wussy, tell you to drink water, then to go on sick call, where you would see someone who reads a book and flowchart to diagnose your issue and issue you 800mg Motrin bottle like candy.

Of course, being where you are, you have much more trustworthy medical personnel that can help you. The suggestion to see them is a damn valid one. You have the possibility to receive honest better medical care and advice than I ever had.

Of course, you could grunt it out, drink water, and go on a 6 mile run with the platoon to get over it... that is what I had to do for 30 yrs and I have no wrist pain issues... just pain in my knees, back, and occasionally pain in the neck from jokers starting too much equipment threads.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Even some grade 1 strains/tears with a nerve nearby can get painful from the tiniest movement or wrong position sometimes.

Your trick is to figure out what thing or things got you like this. Treatment is fine and OK, but unless you figure out your exact cause, good luck.

Keep an open mind, all kind of stuff can affect the body that you would never consider having any effect... or it may be something you never realized.

I've seen people dream they were Chuck Norris in their sleep, thrash around with Kung-Fu noises and mess themselves up (and damage their cot too)

Take as many mental notes over time as you can... time and data tell a story over time.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Not so long ago, the California dust in my area really got stirred up with all the industrial chems applied in agriculture combined with a lot of pollen got me to sneezing something fierce daily this late spring.

It took me a while to realize that my left pectoral muscle contracted really violently on my big sneezes. I had me a bad grade one or light grade two pec muscle tear. That sucka hurt like crazy with the tiniest of movements like lifting hands to the steering wheel to drive the car to work.

I also got more of that crap in my lungs and had much violent coughing, which ended up using the muscles below the pec and right on the ribs... That is serious pain to have a bruised or strained or torn rib. That stuff Hurts just to breath.

It took me a couple weeks to get it back to a manageable level where I wasn't re-injuring it daily just breathing oxygen.

It took me to maybe to 4th day of that mess to realize what was going on. I was lucky to get a realization and to have the dust/chems in the air blow somewhere else.

This is one example of how some unsuspecting stuff can get you a painful strain. Keep you eyes and mind open.

Reactions: dominus7
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is the side, yes it looks like a tendon, but it hurts just when I put the hand like that, may be the stress to the articulation is affecting, and I'm going to go to a kinesiologist, but here is holiday today and tomorrow, that's why asked first over here. Thanks
cache.php

For some reason I don't see dominus's photo in my browser, so I am reposting just the image:

cache.php.jpg

Look, I am sure, if it hurts, something is going on with the wrist and taking care of it is worth it. So, I am not trying to make fun of dominus for asking about this. But some of the mollycoddling comments from members seem a bit over the top. Here are the pertinent details:

If it hurts when dominus plays and does that wrist movement (the actual term for the wrist movement is ULNAR DEVIATION) but when the wrist is in a normal position, it does not hurt, THEN THIS IS most likely NOT AN INJURY THAT NEEDS A DOCTOR.

Is that correct dominus? Does your wrist only hurt if you try and "drop your wrist" to make the line from elbow to tip of blade "straight"?

If that is the case you probably do not need a doctor. If it hurts all the time, or if it still is bothering you in that position Next Wednesday 7/24, then seeing a doctor may be useful. But they may just tell you to put ice and heat alternatively and take 400 mg of Ibuprofen 3-4 times a day (every 6 hours). You could start doing that now if you wanted.

However, one point I want to make: In the photo above that dominus posted, the arrow IS NOT POINTING TO HIS WRIST. It is not pointing to the joint. And if the pain is where the arrow is, it is much more likely that this is from having banged that area, or having had the stove pressing on that area while he was trying to carry it. His wrist is where the creases are. And I see no abnormality, nor do I see swelling, inflammation or redness in the wrist joint area.

IMG_2313.jpg

Here is a photo of my right wrist with moderate ulnar deviation. The line in the center on my wrist is much more pronounced than on dominus. That is 100 percent normal. How many of you do not see at least one line. You may also note that on my wrist you can see more than one tendon. And I assure you, my wrist is not injured and that too would be normal.

So based on the odd information dominus has presented (hurts when wrist is in ulnar deviation, not when in normal position, thinks the injury may have occurred while carrying something awkward and heavy) and the photo image (does not show any abnormality or damage), I am concluding that a week's rest and dominus should be okay and just will need to start into practice more slowly since he has not played in quite a while and will need to redevelop some of the underlying strength for the actions of table tennis.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
This whole thread is pretty funny.

Dominus, wait till your wrist feels fully recovered. I have a feeling you didn't do anything to bad to it. When it is fully recovered and you have not carried a stove in the recent past, then try playing but start off slowly. If you have not played for several months, you need to not over do it the first time you play again.

Your body still knows how to do everything. But your body is out of shape for the actions of playing TT so it is easier to injure yourself when that is the case. Add that to carrying the stove with the concrete in it (I am not 100% sure I believe this--why wouldn't you take the concrete out before carrying the stove) and you have a recipe for injury. But, I am sure it wasn't a big injury.

However, if 4-5 days from now your wrist is still bothering you, then, you should go to a doctor. For now, rest your wrist.

Buddy I'm not stupid, off course I would have removed the concrete, but the smart guys which made the stove filled some channels with that concrete, my weight is 69kg and the stove is 75kg, thanks God he gaves me the strength. I didn't have help either, unless I would have unable to do it alone, I'm resting my wrist, not much because the work and because I have 2 kids and always they ask me upa (carry them on my arms).

This user has no status.
Everyone has their own experience with pain and injury! I speak from regret in playing through pain, so that I injured my TFCC and still have bouts of recurring pain.

Dominus, you know your own body best and what should feel normal. If it hurts so much that you can't even hold your racket normally, something is likely wrong.

As Der Echte noted, if you have (low-cost) access to healthcare, probably worth seeing a professional. What you should not do is listen to us forum folks - to my knowledge, no one that has replied is a hand doctor :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Even some grade 1 strains/tears with a nerve nearby can get painful from the tiniest movement or wrong position sometimes.

Your trick is to figure out what thing or things got you like this. Treatment is fine and OK, but unless you figure out your exact cause, good luck.

Keep an open mind, all kind of stuff can affect the body that you would never consider having any effect... or it may be something you never realized.

I've seen people dream they were Chuck Norris in their sleep, thrash around with Kung-Fu noises and mess themselves up (and damage their cot too)

Take as many mental notes over time as you can... time and data tell a story over time.
Even in his dreams he could defeat Bruce Lee, I don't take drugs, I mean analgesic or similar, I prefer natural medicine. I'm not the ppl who complains, but I wanted to know if it's normal or not to experienced players

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I live in California and sometimes have mushrooms in my salad... but I take some risks if those mushrooms were grown in California... you might start seeing things that are not there eating hallucinogenic mushrooms.

This is evident when I see spin on a shot that isn't there... and am in wrong position to make the shot. That is technically hallucinating.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk