Stiga Mantra - possibly the best priced tensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I can call tenser, tensir, tensive, tens-sor, ten-son, :cool: and I bet you all know what I mean. One problem I have with "tensor" is I always think about mathematics when seeing/hearing the term, but never its history. I think the folks at the German firm borrowed the word tensor from mathematics.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
. I think the folks at the German firm borrowed the word tensor from mathematics.

If you want to call it what ever you want, then maybe you might not want to know where it originate from.
I will share it for other forum members who care about it.

Tensor is from the Latin word tendere, which means "to stretch"

Anyways, so do you wanna buy a new H3 Tensor that is made in Korea for 20USD from me??

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I can call tenser, tensir, tensive, tens-sor, ten-son, :cool: and I bet you all know what I mean. One problem I have with "tensor" is I always think about mathematics when seeing/hearing the term, but never its history. I think the folks at the German firm borrowed the word tensor from mathematics.

Yes, I have quite a few nice tensor products on offer. :)

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
If you want to call it what ever you want, then maybe you might not want to know where it originate from.
I will share it for other forum members who care about it.

Tensor is from the Latin word tendere, which means "to stretch"

Anyways, so do you wanna buy a new H3 Tensor that is made in Korea for 20USD from me??

Yes they indeed borrowed the term from physics and mathematics after some Google search.
No, I don't want to buy your cheap tensor H3. I want to buy some tensir Tenergy 64FX. :D

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
Any term you like, as long as people understand what you are talking about.
Isn't this the whole point of any conversation? To convey meaning to others.

Yes, but the problem is that people very often can not understand each other because of the missfit of the different meaning in the mind of the OP and the perticipants in the conversation. Its always much better and helpfull to make the needed corrections in the early stage of the conversation. There is no help in deffending a wrong statement and claiming it to be true and usefull= Its much easier to admit the mistake in order to put the conversation on the right basis.

Imagine an OP asking for the best Tensor for his style of play. And as it often happens the OP leaves the thread for a few days. 100s of answers and all about the variety of ESN tensors. Then the OP comes back declaring that in fact it all has been about choosing between the different BTY Tensors. Or something like the Yinhe Moon MaxTense, but a little bit cheaper. Or maybe even thanking to all answers, but clarifying that prefers a cheaper tensor like Stiga Mantra which has been mentioned in some thread as the cheapest Tensor.

Is it usefull and helpfull?

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
So being accurate makes one a nerd? Sounds Trumpian...

There is that frame, yes, that looks down on "experts" (snort!) learning things from "books" (double snort).

The fact that this frame exists does not mean you (we the people, in fact) should embrace it, quite the contrary. We should not let the framers hijack these terms, and dismiss any form of argument that way.

That being said, there is such a thing as looseness of speech in everyday use. A photocopy is a xerox is a photocopy. That by itself is not inexact, it's not taking leeway with/bending reality to a frame; it's just colloquism. Pretending not to understand colloquisms under the guise of rigeur, I think, is not a a productive way to conduct a discussion - neither a scientific one nor in the broader sense.

I used to be a mathematical logician once, and boy do I know what it means to be precise and rigorous in the use of terms. Even so, not every domain is like that; vague handwaving abounds and is useful in the "softer sciences" (physics and so on... :)) — and IRL.

Right here, we're not applying rigour in defining experimental conditions exactly for purposes of repeatability, to mention just one form. We're not constructing mathematical proofs rigorously. The discussion of table tennis equipment properties lies at an entirely different plane. Mostly. And it's performed not in the context of seeking veracity, but in sharing highly subjective (and emotional) impressions. That is a different function, with different requirements.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Because we are not nerds. We are hobbyists, part time table tennis players, non-professionals like someone here. We think simple and follow the KISS principle.

So this is why all the pros and property equipment experts leave this forum
your forum is only for hobbyists and part timers

I wonder if you have your own rules when playing, or do you follow the pros rules too?

so how is your butterfly Long II tensor and 388D OX tacky rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yes, but the problem is that people very often can not understand each other because of the missfit of the different meaning in the mind of the OP and the perticipants in the conversation. Its always much better and helpfull to make the needed corrections in the early stage of the conversation. There is no help in deffending a wrong statement and claiming it to be true and usefull= Its much easier to admit the mistake in order to put the conversation on the right basis.

Imagine an OP asking for the best Tensor for his style of play. And as it often happens the OP leaves the thread for a few days. 100s of answers and all about the variety of ESN tensors. Then the OP comes back declaring that in fact it all has been about choosing between the different BTY Tensors. Or something like the Yinhe Moon MaxTense, but a little bit cheaper. Or maybe even thanking to all answers, but clarifying that prefers a cheaper tensor like Stiga Mantra which has been mentioned in some thread as the cheapest Tensor.

Is it usefull and helpfull?

I wonder how many OP fan boys really go and check all Ops thread.
I agree you need to check all these threads and then the conclusion can be met.

In other threads, he is even ruder than this one

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
You want to get into politics?

Nope.

I only made the connection because I find it silly that you seem to fight accuracy so hard and call people "nerds" for being accurate, as it it should be a demeaning term too...

There’s nothing wrong with a little education and history as were provided in this thread. Can be valuable to others at least.

Reactions: langel
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
There is that frame, yes, that looks down on "experts" (snort!) learning things from "books" (double snort).

The fact that this frame exists does not mean you (we the people, in fact) should embrace it, quite the contrary. We should not let the framers hijack these terms, and dismiss any form of argument that way.

That being said, there is such a thing as looseness of speech in everyday use. A photocopy is a xerox is a photocopy. That by itself is not inexact, it's not taking leeway with/bending reality to a frame; it's just colloquiism. Pretending not to understand colloquiisms under the guise of rigeur, I think, is not a a productive way to conduct a discussion - neither a scientific one nor in the broader sense.

I used to be a mathematical logician once, and boy do I know what it means to be precise and rigorous in the use of terms. Even so, not every domain is like that; vague handwaving abounds and is useful in the "softer science" (physics and so on... :)) — and IRL.

Right here, we're not applying rigour in defining experimental conditions exactly for purposes of repeatability, to mention just one form. We're not constructing mathematical proofs rigorously. The discussion of table tennis equipment properties lies at an entirely different plane. Mostly. And it's performed not in the context of seeking veracity, but in sharing highly subjective (and emotional) impressions. That is a different function, with different requirements.

I absolutely agree with you. I’m not so much fighting what’s incorrect yet commonly use and understood here so much as I’m pointing out to someone the silliness of fighting something that it indeed the correct term and calling people names.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis

That being said, there is such a thing as looseness of speech in everyday use. A photocopy is a xerox is a photocopy. That by itself is not inexact, it's not taking leeway with/bending reality to a frame; it's just colloquism. Pretending not to understand colloquisms under the guise of rigeur, I think, is not a a productive way to conduct a discussion - neither a scientific one nor in the broader sense.

I used to be a mathematical logician once, and boy do I know what it means to be precise and rigorous in the use of terms. Even so, not every domain is like that; vague handwaving abounds and is useful in the "softer sciences" (physics and so on... :)) — and IRL.

Yes,

If an OP ask a question for a Tensor problem in a math forum you would not ask him to clarify the Tensor type as ESN, BTY or just Tensioned rubber, and if the question is in a TT forum you would not ask him to define fields, multidimensional arrays or infinite dimensions. And speaking of "product" you would know what is its abstract in a math forum and in a marketing one.
Contextual understanding is important, but it works well only if used correctly.
In math you don't use Tensor if you have in mind just a number, though any scalar can be a Tensor.
In TT not all Tensioned rubbers are Tensors, though all Tensors can be considered as Tensioned.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Nope.

I only made the connection because I find it silly that you seem to fight accuracy so hard and call people "nerds" for being accurate, as it it should be a demeaning term too...

There’s nothing wrong with a little education and history as were provided in this thread. Can be valuable to others at least.

You still don't get it just like some folks here. Using the term nerd to people who insist on accuracy of this stupid term is justified. There are so many "tenser" rubbers in the current market that confuse the hell to a lot of people. The bottom line is they all have tension characteristics. Folks insist on using the term accurately are absolutely nerds . We all know its origin so what are you talking about education? That sounds like a dumb nerd to me!

When you try to make connection to politics it only shows your stupidity. I am not really sure how Trump has anything to do with this. Now, educate me on politics if you want to get into this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Yes,

If an OP ask a question for a Tensor problem in a math forum you would not ask him to clarify the Tensor type as ESN, BTY or just Tensioned rubber, and if the question is in a TT forum you would not ask him to define fields, multidimensional arrays or infinite dimensions. And speaking of "product" you would know what is its abstract in a math forum and in a marketing one.
Contextual understanding is important, but it works well only if used correctly.
In math you don't use Tensor if you have in mind just a number, though any scalar can be a Tensor.
In TT not all Tensioned rubbers are Tensors, though all Tensors can be considered as Tensioned.

You are the one who started the fight. Insisting on accuracy of the term is very arrogant to the point of becoming stupid. Tony jumped on it and accused the OP rude but you are even ruder. After so many posts and folks like you still do not get the point why we don't care about the origin while we now do know what it means.

The term tensor comes from math/physics for sure if you search for its history. There is nothing special about it. This German company smartly trademarked and marketed it so other companies can't use the term in their products. As customers we don't really care about trademarks. You are different and we are ok with that. But why insisting on asking us to use it correctly? Trademarks are only useful to protect the names between competitors. Many trademarked tenser rubbers are inferior to Butterfly Tenergy's which are not "tensored" but tensioned which is the same. Why the hell we customer care about the origin or tiny little details when consuming a product? It makes us think you guys are weird and nerdy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tropical
I think you are the one that don't get the points
and you don't get my joke in all these posts?

Firstly, this is a TT forum, not some garage pong hangout or some non TT community.
I would imagine people who take the trouble to join forums are somewhat more serious than the laymans out there.
And they come here for different reasons and this to me justifies that we are not just your average customers.

Secondly, this forum is mixed with different users. Some form of quality post is the rules. I don't see correction or corrective-ness as nerd, but rather abiding to the rules
If everyone just wants to do what OP does or what I joking did and making things up - the nerds as you call it will just laugh it off. The noobs (in your language) will just learn it and don't understand why they get laughed at.

Langel was kind enough to point out the incorrect information to OP in more than 1 thread.
And the rudeness of the OP is the problem here.
Did he pay you to fight for him or what? or you just want to be a hero and protect some rude person who responses to answers with no respect (I hope you read all his posts in this forum)

I deal with customers on a daily basis. I hear they call all these funny things. Depending on the situation I will handle each accordingly.
anyways, call it what you want, and set your own standards.
you set the standards low, then don't be surprised that TT is junk status

If you want to talk product of Japan rubber vs Germany rubber, bring it on!
If you want, cover my airticket and I will walk you through both factories.
Maybe you can learn something there

Gosh, I'm sure I won't see this nonsense in a car forum of cellphone forum.
where people are cool calling all electric cars a Telsa and all smart phones an i phone.
No wonder table tennis ranking is so low out there...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.