Dhs hurricane 3 Orange vs blue sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

What are the differences between hurricane 3 orange vs blue sponge? I heard that blue sponge is harder and requires more power and orange sponge is easier to play with.Would love to hear your views.

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
you heard wrong :) , you have hardness gradation for hurricane rubbers so hardness depends on what you buy

both rubbers need to be tuned and for getting the best from chinese type rubbers you need to change your technique
many people when they try chinese style rubbers say they are slow, but point is that they are not slow when your technique is suited for those rubbers

go to youtube and try to watch some videos
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chinese+rubber+tehnique

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
you get different types of orange sponges too
together with blue sponge, you have the hardness level and quality level (commercial/prov/national etc)

different sponge version and hardness version is dependent on style and requirement.
there is no easier or difficult, only correctly suited or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Why do most top Chinese players in the USA play with Provincial orange sponge instead of blue?Does that mean Provincial orange sponge is good enough?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From what I have read on Chinese forum and on Prott, blue sponge is slightly denser than orange sponge at the same hardness. I.e. a 39degree blue sponge is slightly harder and has more power reservoir than a 39degree orange sponge.

That is correct.

So that is why I said, its all depending on the players requirement.
some would want more dense, some would want more soft, some would want more hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Finding the original one is preety tough and even if you find an original one, it's freakin' expensive.

Its easy to find, if you are from a former provincial team, it is super easy to get.
Maybe supply at times might be difficult, but I recall someone I know got in 20 pieces at the time and sells them in the US

so yeah, you need to be connected to be certain of supply.
some European pros even contact me to sell them my personal stock I got for myself

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why do most top Chinese players in the USA play with Provincial orange sponge instead of blue?Does that mean Provincial orange sponge is good enough?

To answer "is it good enough", yes it is.
Rubbers are only so much in your game.

but then again, the orange sponge has different version. It may look orange, but it won't be the same type of sponge in a traditional commercial

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
For example will a 40 degree hardness orange sponge going to be softer and easier to loop for an intermediate player than a 40 degree hardness blue sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
For example will a 40 degree hardness orange sponge going to be softer and easier to loop for an intermediate player than a 40 degree hardness blue sponge?
Overall easier for sure. But "intermediate" has lots of room for interpretation. For myself an orange sponge is sufficient for me. I am an intermediate player.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Finding the original one is preety tough and even if you find an original one, it's freakin' expensive.
Go to Prott.vip. i have been buying from him for years. All authentic products.

A piece of Neo H3 provincial orange sponge costs $30USD. Shipping usually$5.

If you live in Europe and wants faster delivery go to TT11, an official distributor of DHS products. But it costs $46USD instead.

A piece of provincial H3 can last a long time. Good value for money.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

Does Blue tend to be tackier than Orange?

Assuming Provincial 40 degree in both for example?
I think tackiness is a property of the top sheet and the sponge doesn't matter...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Here is my experience and my conclusion.

I played with Hurricane 3 commercial orange sponge for 4-5 years. Boosted each one with multiple layers. Loved it.

Last year, middle of the year, I got two sheets of Hurricane 3 National orange sponge. Hated it. Thought that it was too hard, like a brick (at the time, I was used to Hurricane 3 commercial orange sponge where I would boost the hell out of it and I really enjoyed how soft but yet springy the sponge was after boosting. So after paying mucho money for National orange sponge, I hated it).

Then during the annual Aliexpress sales, I got three sheets of Hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge.

Initially, I did not like the blue sponge. Yes, at the 39 degree, same hardness, the blue sponge feels harder and probably a bit faster. I also noticed (by now I have used two sheets of blue sponge) that the blue sponge does not curve up or respond to booster as easily as commercial orange sponge.

However, since I have been playing blue sponge for a few months now, I am now used to it.

Yesterday, I picked up an older paddle with commercial orange sponge to fool around with (it had Rakza X on the BH side), but I did not like it at all! All of the sudden, the springy soft commercial orange sponge feels a bit too springy and out of control for my forehand now.

By the way, the provincial blue sponge (at least from the shop I got from Aliexpress) is definitely tackier than the regular commercial orange sponge that I have gotten from Aliexpress, a shop in Hong Kong and TT11. Yes, I have gone through the trouble to find that commercial orange sponge that is still tacky enough for my taste but to no avail.

So that's my experience. I have played with enough hurricanes and bought from enough shops to know what I am talking about.

On a side note, I have taken out a K2 (bought from Aliexpress because TT11 has stopped carrying K2) and a Sanwei Target National. Both topsheets are as tacky as my provincial H3 hurricane blue sponge. The commercial H3 orange sponge really does not have a grippy topsheet anymore. I am waiting to see how long the extreme tackiness on the K2 and Sanwei Target National stays. Both K2 and STN have low throw so I am able to switch between the different rubbers on my forehand just fine, without an issue.

Reactions: MOG and lodro