Questions about gluing rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
When glueing a rubber, how much pressure should you apply?
Should it be a lot or just enough to get rid of bubbles and to make them stick to the blade?

If I press hard, I figured it's pretty inconvenient and annoying to reglue the rubbers because they shrink a lot after I get them off of the blade. It's hard to get the desired shape later.

In this case should I be more gentle when pressing?
Does the shrinkage depend on the type rubber, how much pressure you apply when gluing or both?

What would change (if anything) if I didn't press as hard (in terms of playing and of keeping the original shape of the rubber)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
When I glue rubber I don't press hard at first. I just "roll" it on to the blade gently. After that I use some kind of cylindrical thing like a deodorant spray can to roll back and forth on the rubber while the blade is resting on a flat surface like a table. I apply a pretty good amount of pressure when I roll back and forth with the spray can but I don't press down super hard.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
is reglueing a rubber normal? i have an OCD problem and not an advocate of reglueing rubber but to be honest one rubber really cost a fortune. Just to be practical, i'd rather reglue my other rubber instead of buying. in your point of view, does the rubber lost its original efficiency once its being reglued or do you think it's performance will still be the same?

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
is reglueing a rubber normal? i have an OCD problem and not an advocate of reglueing rubber but to be honest one rubber really cost a fortune. Just to be practical, i'd rather reglue my other rubber instead of buying. in your point of view, does the rubber lost its original efficiency once its being reglued or do you think it's performance will still be the same?

Totally normal and definitely the way to go in order to test different blades and not waste money. Performance is still the same as long as you re-glue it well. My technique is to measure the halfway point at the bottom and mark it gently (I mark the end side of the sponge that'll go against the handle rather than the bottom of the rubber or it'll transfer the pen mark to the blade). I also leave the glue on the rubber and just put one layer of glue on the blade and voilà! I don't think stretching the rubber much is good so I try to avoid it, so if the rubber is a little smaller than the face of the blade, I start gluing from the top down even if it leaves a little gap at the bottom between the rubber and handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
how much glue is needed for glueing a rubber? a thin layer or a thick one?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
hi,

when you reglue your rubber do you first remove the thin layer of glue remains on your rubber or do you just add additional layer of glue? i tried to remove the solidified glue that was first placed but some of the rubber is tearing off...any suggestions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
hi,

when you reglue your rubber do you first remove the thin layer of glue remains on your rubber or do you just add additional layer of glue? i tried to remove the solidified glue that was first placed but some of the rubber is tearing off...any suggestions?

As Thomas said, no need to remove the glue from sponge and no need to add new glue, just glue the blade and attach.

Reactions: thomas.pong