Bernadette Szocs playing with the NEW PINK RUBBER!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Has the red vs black dye/pigment discussion been solved? If there is a difference, what color would add the most hardness to a rubber?

Looks good on HER.

It is not related to reputation of Table Tennis.

If new dyes do not effect the usage of rubber, even rainbow rubbers could be used.

Personalization/customization is the key event of the century. No need to be "bigoted" about it.
(Hell, colours were already in use before, don't act like it is against the spirit of the game).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Curious about the new rule. I play single sided penhold with black painted (non playing) backside. Is there any specifics about a "playing" surface being black rubber, or just 1 side black color is enough? Ie can I use only 1 sheet of pink?

Colours were banned before, beacuse of non-distinguishable rubbers.

I belive ITTF would keep 1 side black rule as is, and for other side it would only be one additional rule, it should be distinguishable from black side (not really dark colours etc.).

So 1 black side would be enough and yes, I belive you can only use 1 pink sheet (or any other authorized colour).

(Btw. it is going to be submitted for approval in 2020.)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Colours were banned before, beacuse of non-distinguishable rubbers.

I belive ITTF would keep 1 side black rule as is, and for other side it would only be one additional rule, it should be distinguishable from black side (not really dark colours etc.).

So 1 black side would be enough and yes, I belive you can only use 1 pink sheet (or any other authorized colour).

(Btw. it is going to be submitted for approval in 2020.)

Yes, that’s more or less the gist of it.

And I think it silly that you’re still not allowed to use the very same rubber on both wings. Discernability is no excuse there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

And I think it silly that you’re still not allowed to use the very same rubber on both wings. Discernability is no excuse there.

It is an excuse. People can age one rubber and keep another new and create discernability problems as you describe them.

I believe it can create the problem not by using the same rubber on both sides but 2 different rubbers with same colour.

It did create the problem before.
I am not old eneough to remember why colours were forbidden before however according to readings I have done, at first players claims that it created problems during the game (especially for understanind the spin on serves).

So, in order to not have the same problems, I belive ITTF would not allow the same (or similar) colours on both sides.

However I have always gained benefits of using bouncier red rubber on backhand so using same rubber would not be better for my style.

Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
It is an excuse. People can age one rubber and keep another new and create discernability problems as you describe them.

Not buying that argument. At least, it does not outweigh the detrimental effect of not being able to use the same rubber on both wings.

As yogi remarked, effect of dye on playing characteristics might matter. I’ve witnessed this in some rubbers. Red Sriver and black Sriver are slightly different. I could grudgingly accept that. For most it’s like that… but some rubbers, no. Chinese manufacturers even offer some sponge types with black or red topsheets only. Why wouldn’t I be allowed, reasonably, to slap these on both sides?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not buying that argument. At least, it does not outweigh the detrimental effect of not being able to use the same rubber on both wings.

As yogi remarked, effect of dye on playing characteristics might matter. I’ve witnessed this in some rubbers. Red Sriver and black Sriver are slightly different. I could grudgingly accept that. For most it’s like that… but some rubbers, no. Chinese manufacturers even offer some sponge types with black or red topsheets only. Why wouldn’t I be allowed, reasonably, to slap these on both sides?

You don't have to buy it, but I have seen it myself in action and of course, I trust my knowledge of this issue. It is better to have distinctly different colors on each side so that even if someone changes the playing characteristics of the surface, you can learn that surface by knowing its distinct color. If the colors are the same, there is room for shenanigans.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Btw, I know the background of the ‘two colour’ rule.

I was around when the sub-top player John Hilton surprised the entire field by playing the (then new) super anti together with tackiness d (iirc), both in black. Twiddling merrily, grunting and stomping feet at ball impact.

There’s footage of that, in which the truly great champion Jacques Sécretin looks like a bumbling fool. Watching it makes me cringe, still, even now.

Even before the rule change, the players had adapted, reading the spin from the flight and kick of the ball, and Hilton never got to repeat his little stunt. I know, he played at my club shortly after his surprise European championship.

Either way, Hilton did have different claddings. The rule really ought to have applied to such setups only, and I’ve lamented that negative side effect for a long time. It forced me to give up on my Friendship 729 back then - which was available in neither black nor red. That contributed (in a minor way, I concur) to a negative period that turned me from the game for 30 years. BEEF! In TT, the small stuff is sweated…

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Seems more like to me a Quantum X rather than MX-P
QuantumX_l.jpg

Looked pretty good, I just wish she wasn't also wearing primarily pink.

But i suppose the same problem happens with red and black currently.

Really, the rules should be: you can you whatever colour rubbers you want as long as they are clearly both distinguishable from each other, the table, your clothing, and the ball.

Basically don't be an asshole and try to gain an advantage from rubber colours, otherwise whatever.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Really, the rules should be: you can you whatever colour rubbers you want as long as they are clearly both distinguishable from each other

That WAS the rule. But antispin and pips players then argued that dark purple and black were distinguishable enough, so the rule was again sharpened to black and red only.

That WAS the rule. But antispin and pips players then argued that dark purple and black were distinguishable enough, so the rule was again sharpened to black and red only.

And thus the clarification:

Basically don't be an asshole and try to gain an advantage from rubber colours, otherwise whatever.
:)

I think ITTF/tournament organisers just need to grow some balls and say, actually, that doesn't qualify as clearly distinguishable enough, sorry.

This user has no status.
You don't have to buy it, but I have seen it myself in action and of course, I trust my knowledge of this issue. It is better to have distinctly different colors on each side so that even if someone changes the playing characteristics of the surface, you can learn that surface by knowing its distinct color. If the colors are the same, there is room for shenanigans.

Completely agreed, it's unfortunate that certain manufacturers produce rubbers only in one color, but at least in the U.S., I've played folks who have purposely let one sheet slide to anti and have the same rubber on the other side remain grippy to great effect.

It would be really tough to play those folks if they could keep the same color and twiddle.

Reactions: NextLevel