China national championships

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I wonder if something like that happened before - I mean - not just that he is a chopper, but.. age and the fact he came all the way from the qualifications into the final .. and WON IT!

I have always felt he was marginalized for his playing style. He had one of the best forehands on the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hou is chopping with massive side and backspin and nobody can deal with it.
This is the most spin I have seen with ABS balls.

How is this suddenly a thing?
I hope it becomes a regular thing!

Yeah, some of the trajectories produced were :eek:, XX-like.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

And he won in style, too!?! Controlling the outcome of almost every point from the second game onwards, arguably both best defensive (obviously) and attacking shots, great in-game strategy, excellent focus - both rocksteady and a couple of times feeling when a change was needed. Easily topping the highlights reel (I had seen "best of" videos for him and that kind of shot had come up, but even then that loop at 7-4 in the 3rd, :-O.. ahah). Looking humble and committed, effortlessly getting the public on his side. Good attitude towards the opponent, as though "it's all right, kid, you'll learn." For a guy on whom betting your lunch pre-tournament would have seen you through a lifetime and a half of national blue sponge pimples... Wow. Full house!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Why was Wu Yang, female short pip chopper, removed so early then!

How is it the male chopper is suddenly winning... when it's usually said chopping is more friendly in the female game!

This user has no status.
Playing against chopper requires a very specific set tactics and mindset.
I suspect LJK and WCQ will return to the international scene with the ability to destroy choppers after this tournament.
FZD had a tough time against Filus in 2017 WTTC. When FZD played Filus again in 2018 WTTTC, he dominated the match.

Both LJK and WCQ have the requisite agility and strength to overcome choppers' underspin, they just need to learn how to effectively defeat choppers. Ma Te will suddenly become a very popular guy. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
And he won in style, too!?! Controlling the outcome of almost every point from the second game onwards, arguably both best defensive (obviously) and attacking shots, great in-game strategy, excellent focus - both rocksteady and a couple of times feeling when a change was needed. Easily topping the highlights reel (I had seen "best of" videos for him and that kind of shot had come up, but even then that loop at 7-4 in the 3rd, :-O.. ahah). Looking humble and committed, effortlessly getting the public on his side. Good attitude towards the opponent, as though "it's all right, kid, you'll learn." For a guy on whom betting your lunch pre-tournament would have seen you through a lifetime and a half of national blue sponge pimples... Wow. Full house!

Exactly. He can keep control of the rallies with spin and variation, and he can finish a point with power and style.

His opponents thought they could eventually overpower with fast topspin smash, but he kept in control with slow spin!
I believed the slow spinny & powerful long stroke style was dead, but this gives me hope!!

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Why was Wu Yang, female short pip chopper, removed so early then!

How is it the male chopper is suddenly winning... when it's usually said chopping is more friendly in the female game!

Hou chops with way more spin than female choppers and mainly with sidespin, sometimes pure, sometimes with some back or top mixed in. And unlike many other choppers, his forehand is extremely powerful and spinny so he can often finish the point (unlike ma te)

This is in many ways a historic moment. For example, due to his sheer effectiveness, hou will be cloned immediately. It might be an emerging trend just like ito's short pip clones

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Interesting thing is he has been playing for many years in Europe and was beaten many times. Other thing is that china players usualy because of their strong and powerfull FH never have problems with choppers. And the last thing his age is like grandpa considering chinese players.
Look how easy it was for samsonov:
https://youtu.be/9HHJfKO9LKc
Anyway as a chopper I am wondering how the hell he can get do much backspin after his opponent plays push.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Interesting thing is he has been playing for many years in Europe and was beaten many times. Other thing is that china players usualy because of their strong and powerfull FH never have problems with choppers. And the last thing his age is like grandpa considering chinese players.
Look how easy it was for samsonov:
https://youtu.be/9HHJfKO9LKc
Anyway as a chopper I am wondering how the hell he can get do much backspin after his opponent plays push.

HYC played in LA Open many years and was champion 2 or 3X. Last year he beat Tiago Apolonia so bad. Someone told me he lost to Samsonov and Yoo Se Hyuk in 2 separate events and it seemed to them that he lost too easy that they suspected they deliberately split the pot! Don't know. But the way he played Samsonov in this video is no where close to the level he played in this China tournament.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
HYC played in LA Open many years and was champion 2 or 3X. Last year he beat Tiago Apolonia so bad. Someone told me he lost to Samsonov and Yoo Se Hyuk in 2 separate events and it seemed to them that he lost too easy that they suspected they deliberately split the pot! Don't know. But the way he played Samsonov in this video is no where close to the level he played in this China tournament.

Though to be fair, samsonov plays against chtchetinne all the time, and very rarely loses to choppers. I dont recall seeing him lose to a chopper, actually...

Reactions: anchorschmidt
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I saw Joo Sae Hyuk play vs HYC in the final of 2017 L.A. Open.

Joo tore Hao a new one that match.

Joo let Hao attack away to win 1st game... then suddenly, Hao attacking shots all came back. Hao was sweating his azz off before end of game 2... Joo wasn't even cracking a sweat, he would pay the towel to his head once and put the towel down totally dry.

Joo was gliding to the ball.

There were several shots where Hao slapped his best fh only for Joo to fast counter winners with his LONG PIPS from 10 feet off table !!

I saw the 2018 LA Open final where HYC played vs a 2700ish rated Swan Warriors coach...

Hao made that coach look worse than a recreational player that match. Swan coach would push the chop a foot before net, he would block the topspin 10 ft out, or just watch the ball go by for points.

Helpless woul not come close. Dude was SO dejected after the match... but what the heck, he deserved to make it to finals, other players were not pushovers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tropical
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Agree. I would love to see some more choppers regularly.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk