Good rubber for lifting/attacking backspin (BH)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Low lvl intermeadiate player here, been advised by the better players to finally upgrade from my premade.

I play aggressively and enjoy attacking almost everyball I can, even on backspin serves (chiquiatas etc.)(ik thats not recommended).
Considering the yasaka rakza 7 soft on my bh.

Ill be using an all wood blade most likely 5 ply, something like the stiga allround classic.

what do you guys think of the choice of rubber, if you have any better suggestions im open.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Sounds like you know what you’re doing.

A 5-ply all-wood blade is fine. Stiga’s Allround Classic is a widely used one.

Rakza 7-Soft has good speed and spin. It’s soft, which makes it a bit easier to do some things and a bit harder to do other things. A tradeoff thing.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP, a billion options to go with that would be appropriate for a developing attacking player.

Usually the middle ground is a controllable All+ to OFF- blade and control oriented modern dynamic or old school control.

The blade you selected with Rakza 7 soft that you also selected will make it easy to learn your foundational offensive and passing shots.

No need to further analyze or agonize.

Of course, you could go that path and over-analyze everything under the sun and develop ulcers over it... and string it out over a long thread or 12.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What was on your premade racket?

You will definely have a easier time to lift backspin with softer rubbers.
But i think you technique for lifting backspin will in the long run become better with a little harder rubber.

In my opinion many players fool themselves a bit that they do a great stroke but they are actually getting alot of help from the soft sponge, but maybe that is okay. I still think for the developement that a bit harder rubber is better.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
What was on your premade racket?

You will definely have a easier time to lift backspin with softer rubbers.
But i think you technique for lifting backspin will in the long run become better with a little harder rubber.

In my opinion many players fool themselves a bit that they do a great stroke but they are actually getting alot of help from the soft sponge, but maybe that is okay. I still think for the developement that a bit harder rubber is better.

I also think a bit harder is good for some players and softer for others. 40-43 deg range depending.

This user has no status.
I’m using JOOLA Rhyzer 43 on backhand. It’s great for looping backspin balls. Nice combination of spin and speed and ease of use when looping.

(I used to use Rakza 7 soft on backhand, but Rhyzer 43 has better performance. Maybe get the 2.0 sponge so it’s not too fast for you. )

Reactions: thomas.pong
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
The equipment will not do the job for you, technique will.

True. I can lift mostly any underspin ball with mostly any rubber.

Then again, some rubbers demand more and forgive less. To somebody still developing technique/training their sensory system to get going I would advise a soft to mid-hard grippy rubber. Rozena, Vega Intro/Euro, Neoflexx FT 40 or 45, Rakza 7 Soft, Gold Arc 5/42.5, Sriver FX, Mark V — that general can’t-go-wrong (yet already wide) ballpark.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
RidTheKid is right. Looping backspin is more about technique than equipment. I'm focusing on being more aggressive in this area as well. I used short pips on a hard blade (no dwell). If I can do it, so can you! Biggest tip that I got on this is working on muscle group synergy and maximizing racket speed while keeping a "relatively" short swing. It's nearly impossible to be very aggressive on low backspin balls, so work on fast recovery for a stronger follow-up attack.

Since you are moving from premades, I suggest you opt for the Rakza 7 rather than the Rakza 7 Soft. Much more linear and predictable (more control), and faster (on the high impact end). If you go Xiom, I recommend the Vega Pro rather than the Europe. Its all preference in the end, but I agree with Lula, harder rubbers are IMO better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
As long as the rubber has grip, the rest is up to the user :)

True. I can lift mostly any underspin ball with mostly any rubber.

Then again, some rubbers demand more and forgive less. To somebody still developing technique/training their sensory system to get going I would advise a soft to mid-hard grippy rubber. Rozena, Vega Intro/Euro, Neoflexx FT 40 or 45, Rakza 7 Soft, Gold Arc 5/42.5, Sriver FX, Mark V — that general can’t-go-wrong (yet already wide) ballpark.