Chiquita-What Happened?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
The use of the banana flip has declined very much since its peak between 2013ish to 2016ish among pros a, when FZD, Zhang Jike and WH tried to flick almost every short serve even when placed on the short forehandd, and player slike ML, Mizutani and even "old" Boll used it quite alot. Coaches said it would become a standard stroke. This is in stark contrast to the international game of the last 2 years, especially among FZD who barely uses it. Today i only see LGY, Wang Chuqin, Lin Yun-Ju and Harimoto, mostly lefties, play the banana flick somewhat frequently, but nothing like before.
1. Why did it lose its popularity among pros, and how does its decline factor into overall table tennis tactic trends. ?
2. Did it have long term effects on service selection among pros?
3. Do lefties have additional benefits in doing the Chiquita?
4. How much, if at all, should amateurs Chiquita, even if it is a high risk shot?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
The use of the banana flip has declined very much since its peak between 2013ish to 2016ish among pros a, when FZD, Zhang Jike and WH tried to flick almost every short serve even when placed on the short forehand, and coaches said it would become a standard stroke. This is in stark contrast to the international game of the last 2 years, especially among FZD who barely uses it. Today i only see LGY, Wang Chuqin, Lin Yun-Ju and Harimoto, mostly lefties, play the banana flick somewhat frequently, but nothing like before.
1. Why did it lose its popularity among pros, and how does its decline factor into overall table tennis tactic trends. ?
2. Did it have long term effects on service selection among pros?
3. Do lefties have additional benefits in doing the Chiquita?
4. How much, if at all, should amateurs Chiquita, even if it is a high risk shot?

Actually I think you just contradicted yourself. You see, although maybe not everyone is using this move, the fact that the new generation of high level players like Wang Chuqin is using this very frequently means that it is still very important in today's game. Although being a lefty may contribute to their use, look at Harimoto, he is using it quite a bit. To answer number 4, in training it is ok to try new moves so you can eventually use it, but if you are not comfortable/unsure about you consistancy, try not to and just get the ball on the table.-

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Actually I think you just contradicted yourself. You see, although maybe not everyone is using this move, the fact that the new generation of high level players like Wang Chuqin is using this very frequently means that it is still very important in today's game. Although being a lefty may contribute to their use, look at Harimoto, he is using it quite a bit. To answer number 4, in training it is ok to try new moves so you can eventually use it, but if you are not comfortable/unsure about you consistancy, try not to and just get the ball on the table.-
I agree that many new talents are using it in their game, hence i said that it has merely declined not died out, but in generell the banana i think is used less today, which becomes especially apparent with FZD and Timo Boll i feel(do not have any statistics).

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Basically, the threat of chiquita has been reduced by the ABS ball.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-long-the-GOAT&p=274498&viewfull=1#post274498
This practical process has made us realize that with the reform of competition rules and sports equipment, the needs of training and actual combat have also changed accordingly, and there will be “reincarnation” in form and performance: some advanced technologies are subject to reforms. The effect is not as good as before, and it needs to be strengthened in time; and some so-called “outdated” technologies can be reborn and developed due to the stimulation of reform. For their understanding, selection and use, it is necessary to “review the situation” and “conditions”.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Besides the impact of the ABS ball (as mentioned above), another aspect is just general evolvement (change) to limit predictability. When so many people where seeking to do banana-flicks on almost every serve return it started to become predictable and could be exploited because of it. The same way that for many years, almost all serves where short, for example. Nowadays you see many more longer serves mixed in, to, at least in part, eliminate predictability.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
I addition to the ABS ball, it's also easier to counter because it's been a fundamental part of the game for so long now that 'dealing with it' is something everyone has become much better at.

I don't think it's not being used, it's just no longer being OVER-used.

With serves now defaulting to the forehand side, it's not quite as worthwhile to pull yourself off position to force the banana flick from the forehand side if your opponent has a good chance to return it with quality.

People are still using it plenty, it's just being used as a part of a healthy toolbox, rather than looking to just banana flick pretty much every serve.

FZD still uses it plenty, it's just that he used to be one of those that tried to banana flick everything, and he realised that's now people are returning it more, he has other tools at his disposal. So in contrast to how he used to play, he does it alot less.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think some of this also has something to do with how ML adjusted his game to let opponents open with the banana and use the banana for his 3rd ball attack and just destroy those shots. When other people saw ML using the banana as a good 3rd ball to rip and take control of the point off of, other people started working on that as well.

Not many can do it quite the way ML can. But, a banana is still a shot that, you can launch a good attack against if you are prepared for it coming.

Last edited: