Seeking blade with following composition ...

Hi,

Do anyone know if there is any blade out there which have following composition ?!

limba - limba - zlf - Kiri - zlf - limba - limba

And do you have any thoughts about this composition ?!
And specially that I want to use Kiri in the middle ?!
What is the pros and cons between Kiri and ayous ?!

Cheers!
Ray

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

Do anyone know if there is any blade out there which have following composition ?!

limba - limba - zlf - Kiri - zlf - limba - limba

And do you have any thoughts about this composition ?!
And specially that I want to use Kiri in the middle ?!
What is the pros and cons between Kiri and ayous ?!

Cheers!
Ray

The Butterfly InnerForce ZLF, Butterfly Liu Shiwen and Butterfly Ai Fukahara all have this:

Limba-Limba-Zylon-Ayous-Zylon-Limba-Limba

Zylon is what the ply is when they say ZLF, Zylon without a carbon weave. The only difference between those blades and what you were asking for is the Kiri core. With Kiri I think it would be a little slower. But it would be very similar. It would be hard for you to tell the difference.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
All else being equal, a kiri vs ayous core will result in a softer feel and more dispersed impact sensation. Ayous will feel more direct/sharper. But considering the vibration dampening properties of Zylon, the differences will not be too big.

Thank you for your thoughts! My favorite blade just now is Butterfly Ai Fukahara Pro,
but I find it some strange that nobody have used/tried Kiri in the middle.
Which other materials could be good to have in the middle, I would prefer something which is faster than Ayous, but give much spin!

Any thoughts or idea ?!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Unfortunately, a faster blade usually means less spin...

If you want something faster. The easiest way to to get a thicker blade. Thickness increases stiffness exponentially, so a 7mm blade would be much fast than 6mm.

Again, unfortunately, not many blade makers make hardwood cores (ayous and kiri are both very soft and composes 90%+ of all blades). You can try the Innerforce ALC/ZLC or T5000 for something faster.

Be careful, because it will change the feeling of the blade very drastically. Its impossible to change the characteristics, without changing the feel, everything is a balancing act.

Last edited:

Yes that was my thought also ... My games is build on very much (side) spin ... So perhaps try to use Kiri then.
Or Basswood! I found this side > https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/lexik.php

There is it possible to read and learn about the different materials ...

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Butterfly Kenta Masudaira ALC is Limba - ALC - Kiri - ALC - Limba

IT'S ALC instead of ZLF, but that's probably the closest composition you will find.

Stervinou got it wrong on this one. The Kenta ALC is actually a 7-ply Koto/ALC/Limba/Kiri/Limba/ALC/Koto, same as the Viscaria, Timo Boll Spirit and ALC, and ZJK ALC.

Reactions: yoass
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Yes that was my thought also ... My games is build on very much (side) spin ... So perhaps try to use Kiri then.
Or Basswood! I found this side > https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/lexik.php

There is it possible to read and learn about the different materials ...

I'd say the Ai Fukuhara Pro ZLF is a good blade for you, but if you want slightly more speed and spin, you could go for the Innerforce ALC or Harimoto ALC (same blades, larger head on the Harimoto). If that's not enough, the Innerforce ZLC or Apollonia ZLC (same blades, different designs). Or for a heavier Fukuhara depending how much yours weights and if heavy is not an issue for you.

Last edited:
I already have some alc blades, but would like to have some kind of Combi blade with a really nice handle so ....
I will perhaps order one handmade close to what I like, or perhaps one of this >

7 Ply: limba - limba - zlf - ayous - alc - limba - limba

7 Ply: limba - limba - zlf - Kiri - alc - limba - limba

8 Ply: limba - limba - zlf - Kiri - ayous - zlf - limba - limba