Tips for a very keen competitive young player!! My son!

Very strange grip.
It may be good for flat hits, but I think that this grip is limitting spin implementation.
Only when serving he is switching to a propper FH grip. Sometimes after serving he keeps that grip for some pushes and its visible that in such cases the pushes are good and spinny. After that he switches again to that wide and deep grip /like holding a brick/.
I think that this is the first to change. Then will come the spin, the lower trajectory and the better placement, aimed placement, not "as it comes".

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
In my opinion he almost do not need to train with a coach. It would be really good to do and proably the best, but there are so much resources on how to play on internet today.

So if you can afford it and have a good coach i think you should hire him.

But a really good start would be to watch videos of these things:
1. the grip.
2. Forehand counter and backhand counter

Many people may tabletennis harder than it is, the strokes are all pretty similar but with different angles and there are no right way to play. If you just learn to counter well, the push is the same but with an open racket angle and the loop is the same but with a closed racket angle. Maybe i made this to simply now, but if you learn to counter correctly there are not much difference.

I do not know how much it would give you if i try to explain, much better to see videos. So i would just say some guidelines:

Grip: it is called shakehandgrip because you shake the handle, so grip it like you are meeting someone. Thumb and index finger should be down on the side and creating the letter V. Try to have the loose skin between thumb and indexfinger in the middle of the blade and try to hold it loosely. Also try to hold the same when playing backhand and forehand.

Backhandcounter: stand pararell with the feet. have tha elbow a bit infront of you, it should not move much, it is like a hinge. Wait for the ball to come to you, you want to hit the ball close to the body, and always infront of the belly button. Then you hit mostly with the forearm and wrist. , and have the elbow steady. Close to the table, more wrist and less elbow and the opposite further away. The loop is the same, you just want to close the racket angle so you hit over the ball and brushes it thin, also important to stop after you have hit the ball.

Forehandcounter: left foot a little infront. Alot of debate about this today, because of the bh oriented play. But i think the left foot infront. If you extend your forarms forward so the arms are almost straigth you will have created an triangle with your feet and where the arms meet eacheother. Try to hit the ball where the arms reach eachother. You always want to have the arm in front of you. I think you should start with the arm almost where your nose is, then you move back the arm, with the stomach, to the side of the body and then you hit the ball in the triangle, and stop the stroke by your nose again. You do not want the arm behind you and you do not want to have to big of a backswing so you get distance between racket and ball. Very important that you move the belly with the arm. Will proably be really hard to do this close to the table and you do not really do not need to do this in the counter. But if you can learn this the forehand loop is basically the same, you only need to close the racket angle and try to brush the ball like you do on the backhand. Try to think the arm and belly like two hinges of a door, they open and close together.

Iy you can just learn a good grip, then become good at backhand counter and forehand counter, then like i said push and loop is almost just a change of angle. The problem with forehand loop comes if you have only counter with the arm, then it becomes difficult to learn a forehandloop because you almost need to learn a new stroke.

Then learn to move well, you only need one forehand loop if you can move well. The chinese do this well. We fat europeans need to be able to become good at two, three fh loops because we move like shit while the chinese only need one.

Everyone can become good at tabletennis.

I thin the secret is to try do the correct technique, do alot of shadow training and play very very very very ridicoulous slow so you do the correct technique. Maybe you should look so you do not have to fast equipment. If you do the correct strokes, you only need to play slow so you get to practice at the strokes alot. We become good at everything we do alot. Then put some footwork in there, and the same applies. Play slow so you get to learn to move well. And train with focus and alot.

So correct technique, many balls over the net all the time, move alot, train as much as possible with as much focus and spirit as possible.

Serve and return is more about feeling, and is not necessary to work on on the moment.

Good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
There's is a lot of advice to give. But I guess for starters: how much does he care about improving? If he cared, he would not have such basic problems like grip and stance.

Aside from the basics, it looks like he's perfectly content with being passive, which is just wrong. It looks like he need to play against someone who punishes pushing blocking and lobbing.

For example look at this: https://youtu.be/KajJJuWM2yg?t=312 . The forehand at 5:14 is a lob. Usually that's supposed to be an attack. It seems like once he starts blocking, he's stuck in defense mode. Let him know that he can counter attack. It seems like he has such low standards for what qualifies at not-attackable.
Since he backs off the table so much, let him be like Xu Xin.

@MOG

As you see there are a lot of advices starting with the grip.
And I believe that Any other advice concerning Any other element - stance, swing, techniques, tactics, would be useless, because with that akward grip they will not work as intended. The basic elements are important, but they need a proper management of the instrument.
So start with a proper basic grip, exercise the basics, different grips for different techniques, changing grips between techniques, and so on. Do it systematically, with thematic exercises. Playing matches only is not the best way to develop.
Coaching is the best, at least for the basics. Selfmaking would do too, but only if done on proper basis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
This is some video of my son playing, as in the title he is very keen and competitive and does not really listen to his dad! LOL

Any tips for him to improve??

HI MOG
as the other posters say he has multiple technical problems.
He would need at least 2 things to fix this:
1: a period of competent coaching
2:a burning desire within himself to change his ways and his technique.

accordingly send him on a summer camp with top coaches for a week if possible. That will let him know what he neeeds to do and also whether that desire really is burning bright.
If he doesn’t want to go, go yourself as a way of satisfying your own table tennis urges.
good luck