Currently thinking of switching from T05-fx to Hurricane 3...

This user has no status.
I am currently using a Tenergy 05-fx on my forehand with a Timo Boll Spirit blade. But I am thinking of using Hurricane 3 on my forehand, because I think it will suit my playing style. I like to play very powerful forehand topspin strokes (often mid-distance or far from the table), but I am not sure if the jump between switching from a soft tensor rubber to a hard chinese one is too big. if I could get some help it would be very appreciated! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
let me get the thread going(edit - too slow) Why are you aiming for such a big change (and not something closer) and what do you think you will get from the H3 over you 05-fx

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
That is possible but, you need time to adjust your strokes. Your swing should be way faster in order to generate same amount of topspin. Don't get disappointed if you fail first few weeks, try to get use to swing faster. If possible get some private coaching.

I know, by using harder rubber your fast topspins will be more stable but your game won't consist of just this type of shot. Just take your time.

Of course my recommend would be first Tenergy 05 or 05 Hard.

Sent from Tapatalk

This user has no status.
If H3, you need to boost it. If H3N, you still want to boost it. Otherwise the difference is night and day and you'll probably feel the H3 rubber is dead.

You will need to have excellent footwork and be able to deliver the strength from your knee and core. Most people who switch to H3 from tensor rubbers are disappointed. It's hard to use it properly without adequate training.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
If H3, you need to boost it. If H3N, you still want to boost it. Otherwise the difference is night and day and you'll probably feel the H3 rubber is dead.

You will need to have excellent footwork and be able to deliver the strength from your knee and core. Most people who switch to H3 from tensor rubbers are disappointed. It's hard to use it properly without adequate training.

Yes. Hurricane will feel dead. I'd say H3Neo is ok, but you still won't get the same pop as you get from Tenergies. You will have to "force it". I'm playing with Stiga Off, which is by itself rather slow blade, so when I topspin further from the table, you really need a lot of power from the whole body. But the blade has a lot of feel, control and many gears!

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OP, how elastic and strong is your rotator cuff right now?

Revisit that in a few months or year after switching.

Der, this is funny. I wonder how many people know what you mean. :)

Joestine, have you ever tried H3? If you have been using a rubber as soft as T05FX, what makes you think a hard hard hard rubber like H3 is what you want? There would be nothing wrong with trying it. But why not try it on someone else's blade; try a blade from someone at your club who has H3.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Tacky Chinese rubbers are meant for close to mid distance. Maybe Tenergy 64 or 80 might suit you better

I was thinking this to when OP said he likes to play from far. But, I also figured, him trying them on someone else's racket would let him know if H3 plays how he imagines.

This user has no status.
I was thinking this to when OP said he likes to play from far. But, I also figured, him trying them on someone else's racket would let him know if H3 plays how he imagines.

That's right! There's no substitute for trying it yourself. But there's much to be gained by buying a sheet and putting in a month or two with it to really get acquainted. You can really learn a lot playing with H3. And going back to T05 is much easier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I have tried H3 neo commercial for a while after rakza 7 soft and actually i did not find it very difficult to play with and it's not such a big technique gap i think, but maybe i had already the kind of stroke you need for chinese rubber

But after a while i realized it was still less forgiving, especially due to low arc if i remember well so i was doing too much unforced errors and decided to stop it.

I'm not sure but i think even H3N is really better boosted and should be boosted (?). For me it was an additional step that also bothered me (to test it to find the right balance, then doing it each time)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
Der, this is funny. I wonder how many people know what you mean. :)

Joestine, have you ever tried H3? If you have been using a rubber as soft as T05FX, what makes you think a hard hard hard rubber like H3 is what you want? There would be nothing wrong with trying it. But why not try it on someone else's blade; try a blade from someone at your club who has H3.

Yeah, I have tries H3 on my friends bat, and it went pretty good, but it was a bit awkward using a penhold blade with a shakehand grip

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
I say just go for it, but make sure to boost it with seamoon, dinachi,...some chinese booster. Like others suggested choose neo, preferably neo provincial blue sponge 39 or 40 degrees. Be prepared to have rubber that is way less bouncy, but once you learn to hit the ball the right way, you'll be able to make it go fast and put it where you want it. It's also possible you'll just not like it, but if you don't try it and give it a fair chance for a few weeks, you'll never know if you are missing something or not.

This user has no status.
OP, how elastic and strong is your rotator cuff right now?

Revisit that in a few months or year after switching.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Haha, nice! I laughed at this too.
But in all seriousness, if playing with H3 hurts your rotator cuff, then you are doing something wrong.
Your shoulder and arm should be relaxed during a FH stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
That's right! There's no substitute for trying it yourself. But there's much to be gained by buying a sheet and putting in a month or two with it to really get acquainted. You can really learn a lot playing with H3. And going back to T05 is much easier.

not to forget, that H3 is not that expensive after all...