Touching upon how to grip bat for different shots

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
These two coaches are discussing a topic near and dear to me - grip and pressure.

The content is in Korean, but an old buddy of mine is doing the translation. Pls dont give him a hard time if it isnt perfect.

Ironically, these lady coaches are operating from my old tt club in Korea. Hope to go back there lare this fall and meet them live.

https://youtu.be/7lXS5McBb4c

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
says Hello Mr. Jordan Thanks for reaching out. My email is...
Jan 2018
I think Waldner opted to change grips if using backgand by moving his thumb towards the bottom center of the bat.

I think I saw a video once showing Ma Long doing something similar, dont remember where I saw it but will search and report back if I find it.

These two coaches are discussing a topic near and dear to me - grip and pressure.

The content is in Korean, but an old buddy of mine is doing the translation. Pls dont give him a hard time if it isnt perfect.

Ironically, these lady coaches are operating from my old tt club in Korea. Hope to go back there lare this fall and meet them live.

Which club is that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
great video. Thank you. I already know some of these but will try a couple of things in my next training session.

I don't think it's overthinking for amateur players. I actually think these little details do make big differences in the strokes. Great strokes of the professional players start from these little details.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I do not agee with how they play forehand. I think you should try to relax everything and put pressure with the indexfinger. I think you want pressure in the direction you want the power to go. But maybe it is not so important how you do it, i think that basically all these pressure things i mostly about changing the angle a bit and be able to move the arm fast without throwing it away. Aswell holding the handle harder when you want to play harder, otherwise it is like playing with a sponge you use for doing the dishes. So as long as you put pressure it do not matter much how.

From my experience pressure with the tumb is very important when playing backhand, but i do not like putting the tumb up, feel like the motion become more of a shove than a swing. I also think you should have hard pressure only when you want to play hard or with alot of spin. When playing soft shots like blocking i try to be relaxed. Would be interesting to hear them discuss it.

It is interesting, this is not about changing grip but it is close to it. When i was young everyone was NOOO NOOO do not change grip, and when i see pros today almost everyone changes grip. I think many just hold the bat so loosely, and change grip when they change the angle, or maybe when they change the pressure.

I am supersingle, and the girl with the long hair was kinda cute. Lets go to Korea haha:)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
purpletiesto said:
Which club is that?

That is actually my old club north of Seoul (In Uijeongbu).

Lee Seong Sook TT Club. 이성숙 탁구 클럽

When I saw these ladies on YouTube making vids in my old club... I thought Lee Seong Sook sold the place. I was worried.

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yeah Lula, the Koreans have their own way of thinking on how to hit... but all the top players will repeatedly say that there is no single answer in tt.

I should post a pic of a Swedish player who visited our club... he was a smash hit over there. All the ladies in the club were drooling calling him well setup handsome.

Lula, if you show up in a Korean club, you would be 2 levels better than the average top player and pretty much the same level as the ex pro or pro trained coaches.

The lady tt players would like you too.

You ought to take a 3 month stay over there for tt.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I know for sure that I am too old to change...

Are you serious? You are only to old to change because of that limited mindset. In my experience as a coach adults May have a harder time to change But they are more motivated and have lived thru some hard stuff so they know how to figth. Kids Do not have these kind of inner strengths in my opinion. Not yet atleast.

I do not agee with how they play forehand. I think you should try to relax everything and put pressure with the indexfinger. I think you want pressure in the direction you want the power to go. But maybe it is not so important how you do it, i think that basically all these pressure things i mostly about changing the angle a bit and be able to move the arm fast without throwing it away. Aswell holding the handle harder when you want to play harder, otherwise it is like playing with a sponge you use for doing the dishes. So as long as you put pressure it do not matter much how.

From my experience pressure with the tumb is very important when playing backhand, but i do not like putting the tumb up, feel like the motion become more of a shove than a swing. I also think you should have hard pressure only when you want to play hard or with alot of spin. When playing soft shots like blocking i try to be relaxed. Would be interesting to hear them discuss it.

It is interesting, this is not about changing grip but it is close to it. When i was young everyone was NOOO NOOO do not change grip, and when i see pros today almost everyone changes grip. I think many just hold the bat so loosely, and change grip when they change the angle, or maybe when they change the pressure.

I am supersingle, and the girl with the long hair was kinda cute. Lets go to Korea haha:)

Agree.

Just a little coment - the thumb position when playing BH may be very individual, but in most cases it depends on the plane of the wrist swing. If your wrist swing is more in the ulna/radius plane, then you may keep your thumb lower. But if your wrist swing is in the perpendicular plane to the ulna/radius plane, then you would have to release the wrist raising the thumb up. In these cases its not about pressure only, but more about anatomy. Of coarse the thumb may be used to provide desired angle and stability.

Reactions: Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

This particular video doesn't do much for me but the overall channel is fantastic, especially because it has good subtitles. Thanks for the link. Now a subscriber.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I like watching the vids as they show my old club... and I think my TT buddy from there is doing the translating.

They kept it real and focused a LOT of their early vids, if not all the vids, on things relating to the raw beginners.

You see the table skirts? Nearly every Korean club uses them, makes the balls bounce away from the table so play can continue.

That table in the coaches room and the floor behind it still prolly have my sweat stains from 4 years of dripping sweat.