How far apart should your legs be?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Well, maybe to the untrained eye, but it is a secret formula from an old and wise man that was born in China, raised in Japan, went to school in Tibet and is now living in his neighborhood. You cannot just assume the signs in there are the same operators you are used to. It has traps.

How foolish of me. Of course!

Reactions: GusShnaps
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think a little more than shoulders width. So you can steady, and van bend the legs as much as you want. I think how much bending of the legs is equally important or more. I also feel that the you need more than shoulder width apart to be able to generate power from the legs by weigth transfer. To close and you Do not get the weigth transfer. To width is not good either, then i think you can not use the muscles well enough.

Think it is much about how to be able to use the leg muscles the most and so width so you can stand steady and to be able to use the body in the strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
For me it's not so much width as height.
Returning serve, I want to start quite low to see the ball coming over the net. Once the rally starts I can come up a bit. But I accomplish this by bending at the waist and knees, not by widening my stance. Most of the time my stance is a bit wider than my shoulders.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I've noticed that during certain moments in my matches, instead of spreading my legs and remaining low, I turn almost to a standing position, which is probably bad for my game, I want to eliminate this bad habit, but I also want some more info on stance so that I get this right.

- When playing matches, (about) how far apart should your legs be?
- What should be the "shoulder-width to space-between-legs ratio" be (considering the shoulder-width to be 1)?
- Does it depend on the player's height, or is that ratio the same for everyone?

- Also, what does having your legs farther apart help with (Agility, speed, stoke quality, weight transfer?), and should the same stance be kept throughout the whole match?
- If not, when should the stance change?

Keep it a bit wider than your shoulders and be natural. That will be good enough, no matter your height and the table distance. No need to think about it while playing.

Having legs apart helps weight shift, like running.

This user has no status.
There is a very well and secretly treated formula to calculate how far your legs should be apart. I have once met an old and wise man that was born in China, raised in Japan, went to school in Tibet and is now living in my neighbourhood. He has told me that the VERY ONLY CORRECT WAY to put your feet on the ground is according to the following secret formula:

View attachment 19557

Insert the following:
n = height
s = shoe size
p = bra size

and you will stand in the correct way forever allowing you to hit five topspins more a day (can't be accumulated).

Being a guy, I don't know what to put for p because i dont know what size my training bra is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There is a very well and secretly treated formula to calculate how far your legs should be apart. I have once met an old and wise man that was born in China, raised in Japan, went to school in Tibet and is now living in my neighbourhood. He has told me that the VERY ONLY CORRECT WAY to put your feet on the ground is according to the following secret formula:

View attachment 19557

Insert the following:
n = height
s = shoe size
p = bra size

and you will stand in the correct way forever allowing you to hit five topspins more a day (can't be accumulated).

It is amazing what a busy mind can do when there isn't TV or video games to distract and waste time.
Atas Newton identified the formula. I just wonder what problem Euler was trying to solve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
It is amazing what a busy mind can do when there isn't TV or video games to distract and waste time.
Atas Newton identified the formula. I just wonder what problem Euler was trying to solve.

Euler famously took credit for a lot of the work that was done by his students. So, I guess, the problem possibly could have been who can I exploit next?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
I just watched a badminton video which gave some information on footwork and center of gravity and why it's better to stay low, which I thought was really interesting and thought that this information could apply to table tennis as well, but I'm not sure.
The dude who was talking about the techniques said:

Keep a low center of gravity because:

-It allows you to move quicker
-It allows you to change directions quicker
-The size of your step is bigger, which means that you don't need lots of steps to get into the optimal position to hit the ball

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/zsvcNQgxlyY

Reactions: eyepop
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay. These give you some idea and some understanding. You should note: the width of the feet is not a constant; it changes based on the actions the player is doing.

Note: video 4 talks about small steps! Not big steps. :)

Those should help. They are worth watching.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I just watched a badminton video which gave some information on footwork and center of gravity and why it's better to stay low, which I thought was really interesting and thought that this information could apply to table tennis as well, but I'm not sure.
The dude who was talking about the techniques said:

Keep a low center of gravity because:

-It allows you to move quicker
-It allows you to change directions quicker
-The size of your step is bigger, which means that you don't need lots of steps to get into the optimal position to hit the ball

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/zsvcNQgxlyY

-It allows you to see through the net

KowY3OZh.png

Calderano has a "nervous" stance and mood, "McEnroe" type, with "Nadal" type preparation and concentration gesture ceremony.
Good videos above and watching the top pros is helpfull, but to beginners and intermediate club players I would always recommend to take the ball with the "feet on the ground" style rather then "on the fly". It may come later with the experience, but for developing proper techniques with efficient consistency feet on the ground is better.