How did I get worse with a better table tennis racket?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha UpSideDownCarl has me scared now with all that spin talk…with my bad eyes, I’m not sure how much I will be able to tell what the ball is doing!
I’m guessing for me it will be more about “feel” and will only be discovered with time and practice. Now I just wish I had more time and practice available

Learning to read spin has to do with seeing the angle at which the opponent's racket contacts the ball, seeing the direction that racket is moving while contacting the ball and seeing the trajectory, arc, curve and bounce of the ball.

If a ball curves left, it has one sidespin. If it curves right, it has a different sidespin. If the ball flies straight and then bounces to the left or right, it has a corkscrew sidespin. If the ball trajectory is flatter and the bounce causes the ball to slow down, you can see the ball has backspin. If the ball trajectory is rounder and curves down or arcs, and then, when it bounces it kicks forward, it has topspin.

You don't have to see the revolutions on the ball to see what spin is on the ball. Your brain figures this stuff out. And you cannot really get even remotely decent at TT without figuring out at least some of it. Table Tennis, more than any other sport, relies on spin to help you keep the ball consistently on the table. You can figure this stuff out as well.

Here, maybe this video will be helpful: