Table Tennis Scenario in the US.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
True. But to many professional tt players they don't have lot of choice. Zhou Xin is a coach for ICC for many years (heard he made a 6 figure salary). He finally got a US citizenship and tried his luck at the US Close and lost to a lower ranking kid due to being a coach for so long.

He is an ex China National Team Member, those credentials speak for themselves.

That loss in the closed was due to the plastic ball bounce differential on the serve to his bh. Perhaps he hasn't fully adjusted to the plastic ball nuances for competition. His strong strokes were going through the other players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The reality, as a coach, you become a multi ball feeder for your students. For some people, that would be considered a boring job, the rest of your life.

This was an very ignorant comment and i want to be rude But i understand that you Do not have much experience yourself so you Do not have the insigth.

Being a coach is much more than that. I also think that you need very high knowledge when feeding balls. Need to know more or less exactly how the player should Do the strokes. Otherwise they train in the wrong stroke. Tabletennis is a complex and difficult sport with all the technique.

He was born rich. His parents are medical professionals so they can afford all the training, airfares, lodging, expensive coaching, etc. to make his son become an Olympian which (I think) is probably more prestige than a so-so MD or engineer. I guess after achieving his goals as a top 10 table tennis player he will follow his parents path.

Thats true, but I think its not only the family money.
I believe KJ takes a good support both from official sponsors and casual sponsorships.
Here is his sponshorship request when he was in 3rd Bundesliga league:

"WHY YOU SHOULD SPONSOR ME?
I am 17 years old table tennis player, dedicated and passionate about promoting the sport in USA and being a good ambassador for my country. Some of my past accomplishments are: 1. Currently ranked #1 in the world in Junior Boys Under 18 in the March 2018 ITTF World Rankings 2. Being the youngest a thlete to represent USA at RIo Olympics in 2016 3. Being the youngest athlete ever to qualify for the WorldCup in Dusseldorf, Germany in 2014 4. Being the youngest athlete to represent the USA in PanAm Games in Canada in 2015 5. Two times US Nationals Men's Champion, 2016 and 2017 6. Current World Circuit Junior Champion 7. Currently live in Germany for training and play for Ruhrstadt Herne, a German Club in the 3 Bundesliga league. I am dedicated and disciplined and my dream is to put USA on the medal stand in Olympics one day. "

@OP
If you want to make money as a top player, you would have to invest your own money to get close to the described level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This was an very ignorant comment and i want to be rude But i understand that you Do not have much experience yourself so you Do not have the insigth.

Being a coach is much more than that. I also think that you need very high knowledge when feeding balls. Need to know more or less exactly how the player should Do the strokes. Otherwise they train in the wrong stroke. Tabletennis is a complex and difficult sport with all the technique.

I said some people would consider it boring. You took it personal.

Technically, If a coach works at a club where there is a headcoach, he or she will have to take direction from the hc what is taught to the students.

Last edited: