Table Tennis Scenario in the US.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hey, I'm 18 years old and a above amateur level here in Pakistan( I was born in the US) and have given tough times a few national ranking players. Now I'm moving back to the US( most prolly Texas or NY) but I'm really set on becoming a professional. Now I have no idea about the table tennis scenario in the US and I'd like you to explain everything regarding it. The pros and cons of becoming a professional tt player in the US, feasibility and costs. Moreover, I'd like to know whether its a varsity sport or not. I'd like to know whether or not I can grow as a tt player in the US. Please guide me and I hope the post is not confusing.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Only thing you become a pro at in your age is chicken and beer bets.

MAYBE, you can get a local following and earn money coaching. Maybe you can convince some more schools to do TT programs and privately coach the kids. TT is just beginning to be a minor school program in a tiny few schools, needs a lot more adoption though. That is really the growth engine, so if you can be good at spreading TT into schools, you have a realistic shot.

Not impossible, but kinda bleak.

As a pro player, even bleaker.

Reactions: Mohammad Ahmed
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You mean there's no chance of becoming a top player in US by pro I mean top 100

Yeah. I would say that, if your goal is to become a player in the top 100 in USA that is totally possible depending on your current skill level. However, if you think being top 100 in the country means you will make enough money for you to pay rent and buy food, I am not sure that would be the case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Coaching will make a lot more money than competing. You will have zero or very slim chance in high money events which invite foreign players. I heard Timothy Wang (used to be #1 American in US) used to be a coach but eventually had to get an engineering job. He was lucky that a rich table tennis enthusiast hired him.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Coaching will make a lot more money than competing. You will have zero or very slim chance in high money events which invite foreign players. I heard Timothy Wang (used to be #1 American in US) used to be a coach but eventually had to get an engineering job. He was lucky that a rich table tennis enthusiast hired him.
How do top player like jha khanak afford their living then?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015

The reality, as a coach, you become a multi ball feeder for your students. For some people, that would be considered a boring job, the rest of your life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
How do top player like jha khanak afford their living then?

He was born rich. His parents are medical professionals so they can afford all the training, airfares, lodging, expensive coaching, etc. to make his son become an Olympian which (I think) is probably more prestige than a so-so MD or engineer. I guess after achieving his goals as a top 10 table tennis player he will follow his parents path.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
How long and how much have you trained for?

There is possibilities to develop alot and fast, But i think it is harder in the US because the resources might not be there.

Also worth mentioning that trying to become a tabletennis pro really is not a good career move in my opinion. Hard to make a living. You should Do What you want But i should try to get an good education and try to get a job that suits training alot of tabletennis and try to Do it is as much as possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
The reality, as a coach, you become a multi ball feeder for your students. For some people, that would be considered a boring job, the rest of your life.

True. But to many professional tt players they don't have lot of choice. Zhou Xin is a coach for ICC for many years (heard he made a 6 figure salary). He finally got a US citizenship and tried his luck at the US Close and lost to a lower ranking kid due to being a coach for so long.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017

Even if you came to the USA and could guarantee that you will win every single tournament you play in, and that is a big IF, making a living will be difficult. Maintaining your level will also be difficult as it will be hard to find enough good players to practice with you 6 or so hours a day. The sad fact of the matter is that in the USA, to be a top player, you need lots of money to pay people to train with you and pay for your travel to tournaments. You might even want to pay for a coach/practice partner to go with you to tournaments which is going to cost even more money. If your goal is to break into the top 100 then that is reasonable. If your goal is to make money, to paraphrase an old saying from another sport: How do you make a small fortune playing table tennis? Start off with a large fortune...