The strangest thing is definitely the points allocations of the World Team Championships (Ma Long getting only 1500 while Xu Xin gets 1750 and Fan Zhendong gets 2000). Some of the world tour point allocations I saw were even weirder; people getting to the same stage of a certain type of tournament (like a Platinum world tour). People got something like 1873 points or something really abstract like that, there really seems to be no reason why. This month they seemed to have fixed these strange numbers.

But although I know of the reasons why players are moving around the world rankings the way they are, I still find it ridiculous how it works. Some people who have had incredible results have actually DROPPED in ranking (just because of having some lucky/unlucky results a year ago), and what had seemed like exceptional results at a world tour didn't matter at all. Meanwhile, others had terrible results and somehow went UP.
Here are some examples from this past month:

- Jeoung Youngsik reached the semifinals of a huge tournament- Korea Open, even beating WR#2 Fan Zhendong, yet he dropped from 20 to 23. Although it's because some points expired, it's still a bit ridiculous that these types of results never get rewarded.
- Mizutani only dropped 1 spot, 13 to 14, even though he got upsetted twice, never getting past the 1st round in any of the events this month.
- Franziska only went up from 17 to 15, though he beat #6 Liang Jingkun, #7 Mattias Falck, AND reached the semifinals of the Australian open.
- Gauzy went up 5 spots to #20, even though he never made it to the main draw, losing in the prelims, and losing in Round 1 in T2.
- Koki Niwa went up 2 spots to #10, having an upset in the prelims by Cho Seungmin, then getting upset in R1 in the other open as well as T2.
- Mattias Falck went up 2 spots to #7, losing to lower ranked players at every tournament.
-Zheng Peifeng jumped 13 spots even though he lost in either prelims or in R1 in both world tours.

Even though on paper, there is a reason for people losing points or maintaining points, but these results just don't look right, some almost ridiculous. It's not just that these rankings don't reflect a player's level and ability, now they often don't reflect real results either, and it's getting worse somehow.

I think that there are some people here, who would prefer the Rating system over the Ranking one, and they were very active during the drop down of Ma Long. Now Ma Long is going up because of his ultimate performance, but people argue for the other players rankings. The system is what it is and its the same for all players.
Besides that, although the system is Ranking type, it has some Rating elements.

"ITTF World Table Tennis Championships, ITTF World Junior Table TennisChampionships, ITTF World Cups, ITTF World Tour Grand Finals, Continental Championships and Continental Cups stay in the ITTF World Rankings until the next edition."

In fact this rule acts as a Rating element in the Ranking system, giving more "weight" to the "best of them all".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
The strangest thing is definitely the points allocations of the World Team Championships (Ma Long getting only 1500 while Xu Xin gets 1750 and Fan Zhendong gets 2000). Some of the world tour point allocations I saw were even weirder; people getting to the same stage of a certain type of tournament (like a Platinum world tour). People got something like 1873 points or something really abstract like that, there really seems to be no reason why. This month they seemed to have fixed these strange numbers.

Hi Silvershamaa,

The World Team Championships is a great opportunity for players to earn points, but often you will see those from teams of five get less at the end of the day, this is because points are stacked by 'wins', rather than earned from 'stage reached.' as pongfurgrasshopper mentioned earlier in the thread. As an example, Liam Pitchford had a fantastic WTTTC, earning 2000 points because he played in every team match for England, whereas China sent five players, and spread out the participation. In some cases this meant the team champs did not even make it into their top 8 results. Also, World Championships are valid for two years, until the next edition of that type of World Champs, making the points that much more significant.
With regards to strange points among players who reached the same stage, that is a good question indeed, and one that confuses many. Group stage matches from the 2018 World Tour give stacked points on top of the points earned in the main draw. Now, in 2019 the World Tour doesn't have a group stage, rather a straight qualification KO draw, but those points earned in 2018 are valid for 12 months. I was not in favour of letting last year's expired rules affect this year's WR, but it went ahead anyway, which means it takes a whole year to see the adjustments to the regulations take effect.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The new ranking system has not hurt China. They have six top 10 players on the women's side and five top 10 players on the men's side with Wang Chuqin sure to join that list in the not too distant future. You do have to be patient though.

I'm not so sure.

It took their men's team almost 1.5 years to recover the top-10 to the pre-2018 level. The women's team is actually still 1 spot away from the pre-2018 level for top 10. Both have trouble keeping up with the top-20 and top-100.

Some folks predicted there would be more CNT players in the Top 10, but I thought otherwise the day the reform took effect.

Half a year later, here is the breakdown of the World Ranking for the CNT in the Top 10, 20, and 100:

Men's
Dec, 2017 5/10, 8/20, 13/100
Jan, 2018 4/10, 4/20, 8/100
Jul, 2018 4/10, 4/20, 9/100

Women's
Dec, 2017 7/10, 9/20, 25/100
Jan, 2018 4/10, 5/20, 9/100
July, 2018 5/10, 7/20, 13/100

While the Men's took less of a hit than the Women's, the number doesn't show much if any recovery. Even though the ITTF have loosened up on the number of entry for each association, the "no separation of association" rule and separate ranking list for U15, U18, U21 and senior players are really working against them here.

Men's
Dec, 2018 3/10, 4/20, 11/100
Jan, 2019 3/10, 5/20, 10/100
Feb, 2019 3/10, 5/20, 11/100
Mar, 2019 3/10, 5/20, 11/100
Apr, 2019 4/10, 5/20, 11/100
May, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 11/100
Jun, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 10/100
Jul, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 11/100
Aug, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 9/100

Women's
Dec, 2018 5/10, 6/20, 14/100
Jan, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 14/100
Feb, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 15/100
Mar, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 16/100
Apr, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 12/100
May, 2019 5/10, 8/20, 14/100
Jun, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 12/100
Jul, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 13/100
Aug, 2019 6/10, 7/20, 13/100

Last edited:
Jan 2018
...With regards to strange points among players who reached the same stage, that is a good question indeed, and one that confuses many. Group stage matches from the 2018 World Tour give stacked points on top of the points earned in the main draw. Now, in 2019 the World Tour doesn't have a group stage, rather a straight qualification KO draw, but those points earned in 2018 are valid for 12 months. I was not in favour of letting last year's expired rules affect this year's WR, but it went ahead anyway, which means it takes a whole year to see the adjustments to the regulations take effect.

Another factor is that the point table has been adjusted down for 2019. As a result, the 2019 World Ranking is suffering a system-wide "deflation".

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ations-in-2019&p=250522&viewfull=1#post250522
1st 100%, 2nd 90%, 3rd 80%, 4th 75%...

1st 100%, 2nd 85%, 3rd 65%, 4th 60%...

Reactions: TT Guru
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I'm not so sure.

It took their men's team almost 1.5 years to recover the top-10 to the pre-2018 level. The women's team is actually still 1 spot away from the pre-2018 level for top 10. Both have trouble keeping up with the top-20 and top-100.

Men's
Dec, 2018 3/10, 4/20, 11/100
Jan, 2019 3/10, 5/20, 10/100
Feb, 2019 3/10, 5/20, 11/100
Mar, 2019 3/10, 5/20, 11/100
Apr, 2019 4/10, 5/20, 11/100
May, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 11/100
Jun, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 10/100
Jul, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 11/100
Aug, 2019 5/10, 5/20, 9/100

Women's
Dec, 2018 5/10, 6/20, 14/100
Jan, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 14/100
Feb, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 15/100
Mar, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 16/100
Apr, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 12/100
May, 2019 5/10, 8/20, 14/100
Jun, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 12/100
Jul, 2019 5/10, 7/20, 13/100
Aug, 2019 6/10, 7/20, 13/100

As previously mentioned, it does take patience. And actually, I argued for some bonus points on MyTT to expedite this. Most notably it took SYS seemingly forever to get back to top 10 when it was painfully clear that's where she belongs. I can definitely see Wang Yidi making top 10 if she were to enter more events. The CNT even withdrew CXT, WYD, HZJ, and GYT from T2. If they really wanted to dominate even more, they could enter 2nd Tier CNT players in more Challenge/Challenge Plus events, but I'm guessing China is taking global popularity of table tennis into consideration.

Jan 2018
...A lot of rules try to safeguard fairness one way but introduce some form of unfairness in another. An example would be the limit imposed by nation on the number of players that can take part in a tournament; on the one hand, this provides the non-superpowers a foothold to step up from and prove their worth, but on the other it means a large group of players from dominant nations has a larger hurdle to take.

It's a balance, and it may not be the right balance at that — but that doesn't necessarily indicate a deeper conspiracy. At least, I wouldn't say it proves that.

To illustrate it:
US: Quantitative easing; agricultural subsidy...
China: Currency manipulation; agricultural dumping...

says Footwork footwork footwork
I think you guys are also confusing the point distribution depending on the level of the tournament: ITTF world tour (1800 for 1st place) vs. world tour platinum (2250 for 1st place).

Wait... as I look more there seem to be even more levels: world tour teams, grand finals... some how the Austrian open also had a buttload of points even though it wasn’t a platinum event. Unless it was listed incorrectly.

Hmm [emoji848]

Aren’t the points and prize money usually disclosed on the entry forms to each tournament? I thought I remember seeing one on these forums where everyone was discussing how low the prize money was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2018
First thing:

OLYMPIC GAMES: The choice of limiting countries to 2 players in singles in the OLYMPICS HAD NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with ITTF. That was the choice of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The ITTF's choice was: comply or let Table Tennis cease to be an Olympic Sport. The IOC did the same thing in gymnastics events in non group competition. The reason? The Olympic Committee felt that the Olympics is about WORLDWIDE COOPERATION AND GOODWILL, and it would not be good to have any one country win GOLD, SILVER AND BRONZE thus blocking the possibility of any other country winning a medal. It had little to do with Table Tennis. The rule was implemented across sports where there was the potential for one country to win all the medals: where any one country could have enough entrants to win all the medals. So don't blame the ITTF for something that had nothing to do with and had no actual choice in the matter. Or do you think TT being dropped by the Olympics was a viable choice?

For future reference:

OLYMPIC AND PARALYMPIC COMMISSION MEETING

Minutes of a meeting of the Olympic and Paralympic Commission held at 09h00 on
25 May 2010 in the Holiday Inn, Moscow, Russia

1. President's welcome and opening remarks: the President welcomed all members
as well as the 2 technical delegates for the Olympic Games and the Table Tennis
Manager of the London Olympic and Paralympic Games Organising Committee.

2. Roll call
Adham Sharara President
Chérif Hajem Executive Vice-President
Neil Harwood Executive Vice-President (Finance)
Koji Kimura Executive Vice-President
Melecio Rivera Executive Vice-President
Petra Sörling Executive Vice-President
Thomas Weikert Executive Vice-President

Tony Yue Asian representative
Khaled El Salhy African representative
Claude Bergeret European representative
Jairo Orlando Paez Latin American representative
Mike Cavanaugh North American representative
Patrick Gillman Oceania representative
Nico Verspeelt Para Table Tennis representative

In attendance
Jordi Serra Executive Director (Operations and Olympic Games)
Glenn Tepper Executive Director (Development)
Judit Faragó Executive Director (Competitions)
Mikael Andersson Executive Director (Education and Training)
Alison Burchell Project Manager
Richard Scruton LOCOG representative
Yao Zhenxu Technical Delegate
Graeme Ireland Technical Delegate

Apologies
Yang Shu’an Deputy President
Khalil Al-Mohannadi Executive Vice-President

5. Olympic Games 2012: the Commission noted that:
5.3 Qualification and competition system:
• the final qualification system was subject to the approval of the IOC;
• the decisions from the Commission meeting held in Cartagena had been
implemented and approved by the IOC Executive Board;
• normally the Commission and Board of Directors would approve the
qualification and competition system before the IOC approved it but this
had not been possible due to time constraints;
• should the Board not approve the qualification system, negotiations with
the IOC would be re-opened;
• following several meetings with the Minister of Sport of China, the Chinese
Olympic Committee, and the CTTA, there had been final agreement that
the restriction on the number of entries per NOC was in the best interest of
the sport;
• the IOC had originally proposed the restriction of entries per NOC and was
delighted that it had been approved by the Commission;

• the restriction on entries per NOC should be reviewed in the future;
• diversification through expanding the number of events should be
considered and the ITTF should not limit itself;
• the IOC was finalising a general policy for P accreditations;
• currently the coaches selected the doubles pair after the singles event but
it was also possible that the selection process could be pre-determined.

INTERNATIONAL TABLE TENNIS FEDERATION

BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING

Minutes

of a meeting of the Board of Directors held on Friday 28 May 2010 at 09h00 in Moscow,
Russia.

1. Welcome and opening address: the President welcomed all Board members,
President’s Advisory Council members and committee chairpersons to the meeting.
The President presented an award to Mr Robert Bausch, Managing Director of Liebherr,
the title sponsors of the World Team Table Tennis Championships in Moscow, in
recognition of their contribution to the ITTF. The President also welcomed Tinsue,
manufacturers of the floor for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, to the table
tennis family.

2. Roll call and new members: the Board noted that Mr M. C. Chowhan and Mr Yuri
Posevin had passed away, and that Mr Khaled El-Salhy and Mr Jairo Paez had taken up
the positions of presidents of the African and Latin American Unions respectively. The
Board unanimously confirmed the appointments of the following:

2.1 Thana Chaiprasit (to complete the Asian quota, replacing Mr Chowhan)
2.2 Ebo Bartels (to complete African quota, replacing Mr El-Salhy)
2.3 Oktay Cimen and Cristinel Romanescu (to complete European quota and to
replace Mr Posevin).

The Board noted that the replacement for Mr Jairo Orlando Paez as a Board member
from the Latin American quota would be proposed to the 2011 Board meeting.

The Board noted that 43 voting members were present.

10. Olympic and Paralympic Games 2012: the Board noted that the preparations were
well on track and Richard Scruton had taken up his post as LOCOG Table Tennis
Manager.

10.1 2012 Olympic qualification and competition system: the Board noted that:
• this system had been approved by the Olympic and Paralympic Commission
and by the IOC due to time constraints before approval by the Board;
• should the Board not approve the system, the discussion with the IOC would
start afresh;
• the Chinese Table Tennis Association did not agree with the reduction in the
number of entries per NOC but understood and accepted, with regret, the need
to introduce it in the interest of the sport;
• other sports had also introduced a reduction in the number of entries per event;

The Board resolved to: accept the 2012 Olympic qualification and competition system
(2 abstentions).

The Board resolved to: consider in 2011 an increase in numbers of players for Oceania,
Latin America and Africa for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games as well as to
consider the reserve players for team events.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I think you guys are also confusing the point distribution depending on the level of the tournament: ITTF world tour (1800 for 1st place) vs. world tour platinum (2250 for 1st place).

Wait... as I look more there seem to be even more levels: world tour teams, grand finals... some how the Austrian open also had a buttload of points even though it wasn’t a platinum event. Unless it was listed incorrectly.

Hmm [emoji848]

Aren’t the points and prize money usually disclosed on the entry forms to each tournament? I thought I remember seeing one on these forums where everyone was discussing how low the prize money was?

Sent from my using Tapatalk
Are you referring to the Australian Open? That's a Platinum event. The Austrian Open is in November and is also a Platinum event.

says Footwork footwork footwork
Are you referring to the Australian Open? That's a Platinum event. The Austrian Open is in November and is also a Platinum event.

Yes, but in 2018 it seems to be listed as just a World Tour. Did it just turn platinum?

Example:
0213e84f2d7f492cdfcc62ac9cfadfb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk