Does Side Tape ruin the rubber by making it harder around the edges

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Hi Team,

I have been playing TT for years now and one question I have not had an answer to in several forums is whether using the side tape is advised? Every forum only talks about how the side tape protects the blade from minor damages and all. But no one talks of whether the side tape is good for the rubber itself? There a good amount of stickiness in the adhesive of the side tape and it is sure to harden the sponge around the edges of the TT bat in some months. I would like a professional opinion on this. I have bought a new TT bat and it has come with a side tape stuck on. If its going to ruin my bat, then I'd rather remove it now and save my TT bat and rubber. Please help.

Regards,
Satya

The side tape is protecting the blade edges and is preventing the rubber to peel off near the edges.
I've never experienced rubber chipping caused by the side tape. Maybe its possible for some type of rubbers, but if it ever heapen, it would be after a long time of use, and even it heapen it would not affect the rubber performance.
Anyway if you don't use a side tape you may experience much more damages both to the rubbers and the blade.

Reactions: v100ev
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't use edge tape. I don't like it. I don't care about the edges of my blades. I am good with my weapons having battle scars.

But edge tape won't do anything bad to your rubbers. The glue on the edge tape is not really any different from the glue you use to adhere the rubbers to the blade face.