ITTF-ATTU Asian Table Tennis Championships 2019

Yoshimura was up 9-2 vs Fan Zhendong in the 1st set, endedup losing it 11-13...:confused:

Kinda dissapointed FZD doesn't seem to have returned to form after that little bit of break. Both his wins have looked very messy this tournament.

At this rate his 2020 Olympics single spot might genuinely be under threat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Men’s team final lineup is out.

XX vs JWJ
FZD vs JYS
LJK vs LSS
FZD vs JWJ
XX vs JYS

Although CNT is still the favorite, I think Korean team has some chance to make upsets...

It always sounds and looks that way and then the match ends 3-0, and we wonder why we ever expected anything to change in our lifetime.

Jang is playing well, but that is nothing new...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Nice job Thailand! Orawan Paranang takes out Doo Hoi Kem and the deciding match against Minnie Soo Wai Yam to make the Main Draw.
cache.php

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It always sounds and looks that way and then the match ends 3-0, and we wonder why we ever expected anything to change in our lifetime.

Jang is playing well, but that is nothing new...

About as dominating a win as it gets and Ma Long didn't even play.

K.P

This user has no status.

K.P

This user has no status.
Feb 2017
you have some information about that? He wouldnt play in the singles tournament if he was injured. LJK might be in better form and its all there is.
Not sure if you mean Lin Gaoyuan or Lin Jun Yu, for LJY he pulled out due to an inflamed shoulder with the doctor recommending that he not play for 2-3 weeks. Further stating that they didn't want to take any risks, especially with tokyo 2020 being less then a year away

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Watching the finals and semis, the CNT seems like an easy bet to win the Olympics. There would have to be a catastrophy for some one else to win Tokyo imho. The positive thing is that Harimoto although vulnerable to players outside of the CNT still keeps his fighting spirit. He was playing Xu Xin to win the match actually and was posing threats in every set.
I'm not so sure if the same can be said about other JNT stars ... So looking from Yogyakarta to Tokyo, maybe in the men's singles could be an upset, but still rather vague ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Watching the finals and semis, the CNT seems like an easy bet to win the Olympics. There would have to be a catastrophy for some one else to win Tokyo imho. The positive thing is that Harimoto although vulnerable to players outside of the CNT still keeps his fighting spirit. He was playing Xu Xin to win the match actually and was posing threats in every set.
I'm not so sure if the same can be said about other JNT stars ... So looking from Yogyakarta to Tokyo, maybe in the men's singles could be an upset, but still rather vague ...

The best threat to the CNT didn't play the event though with CCY sitting it out and LYJ injured. We will get a better idea after the World Team Cup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Main Draw Results from Day 4 (Wed 18 Sep 2019):

Men's Team

Semi-finals:

[1] China 3:0 Japan [4]
1) Xu Xin 3:1 Tomokazu Harimoto (5:11, 11:7, 11:8, 12:10)
2) Fan Zhendong 3:0 Maharu Yoshimura (13:11, 11:8, 11:6)
3) Liang Jingkun 3:0 Kazuhiro Yoshimura (11:6, 14:12, 11:1)

[2] South Korea 3:0 Chinese Taipei [4]
1) Jeoung Youngsik 3:2 Liao Cheng-Ting (7:11, 11:8, 9:11, 11:7, 12:10)
2) Jang Woojin 3:0 Chen Chien-An (11:9, 11:9, 11:9)
3) Lee Sangsu 3:0 Wang Tai-Wei (11:6, 12:10, 11:9)

Final:

[1] China 3:0 South Korea [2]
1) Xu Xin 3:0 Jang Woojin (11:3, 11:7, 11:9)
2) Fan Zhendong 3:0 Jeoung Youngsik (11:8, 11:9, 11:7)
3) Liang Jingkun 3:0 Lee Sangsu (11:8, 11:7, 11:4)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5068/2019-ittf-attu-asian-table-tennis-championships/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 4 (Wed 18 Sep 2019):

Mixed Doubles

Round of 16 (selected results):

[12] Cho Daeseong/Shin Yubin 3:0 Chen Chien-An/Chen Szu-Yu [5] (11:7, 11:7, 11:6)

Quarter-finals:

[1] Xu Xin/Liu Shiwen 3:0 Ho Kwan Kit/Lee Ho Ching [8] (11:8, 11:3, 11:5)
[4] Lee Sangsu/Jeon Jihee 3:0 Shunsuke Togami/Saki Shibata [7] (11:3, 11:2, 12:10)

[3] Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem 3:1 Yukiya Uda/Miyu Kato [6] (11:7, 11:6, 2:11, 11:6)
[2] Wang Chuqin/Sun Yingsha 3:1 Cho Daeseong/Shin Yubin [12] (11:5, 4:11, 11:4, 11:9)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5068/2019-ittf-attu-asian-table-tennis-championships/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

As NextLevel mentioned, the Team World Cup is a better gauge. I remember Liu Guoliang did mention after WTTC2019 that the game is rather 'open' (i.e. unpredictable) on the men's side, despite China having an edge (as a team specifically) over the rest. In about a year or two's time, ML and XX will likely retire (already 'pushing it' for Chinese standards with regards to retirement) which will bridge the gap even more and LGY, LJK and WCQ have yet to display clear dominance.

The women's side is less 'favourable' (although diversity for the sake of diversity is not a point I completely agree with). Asian Championships represents about the highest standards in the current female TT game, one in which China's dominance is very marked – their challenge is limiting the vast pool of talent to a team of 3 or 5 depending on the tournament while the other countries are struggling to fit three players able to match the top Chinese women. The unpredictability here, if any, is within the 'second tier' (assuming top comprises China and Japan) – South Korea, North Korea, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
As NextLevel mentioned, the Team World Cup is a better gauge. I remember Liu Guoliang did mention after WTTC2019 that the game is rather 'open' (i.e. unpredictable) on the men's side, despite China having an edge (as a team specifically) over the rest. In about a year or two's time, ML and XX will likely retire (already 'pushing it' for Chinese standards with regards to retirement) which will bridge the gap even more and LGY, LJK and WCQ have yet to display clear dominance.

The women's side is less 'favourable' (although diversity for the sake of diversity is not a point I completely agree with). Asian Championships represents about the highest standards in the current female TT game, one in which China's dominance is very marked – their challenge is limiting the vast pool of talent to a team of 3 or 5 depending on the tournament while the other countries are struggling to fit three players able to match the top Chinese women. The unpredictability here, if any, is within the 'second tier' (assuming top comprises China and Japan) – South Korea, North Korea, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong.

Even with Korean's An Jaehyun, Chinese Taipei Lin Yun-Ju or Harimoto + Mizutani and Koki??? (Challenger in Paraguay ...) those three teams have little chances of prevailing against the CNT. Not to mention the Europe. If maybe Harimoto was on the same team as An and Lin ... against CNT ; ) I would like to see a match like that. But, besides Tomokazu, Lin and An when I watch other players (maybe it's just my perception) they play against the CNT without the intention to "hurt" the other side, maybe CNT was so dominating against them for such a long time ...

I think ML and XX will still play after Tokyo, a year or two for sure ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
The best threat to the CNT didn't play the event though with CCY sitting it out and LYJ injured. We will get a better idea after the World Team Cup.
Without trying to put either of them down I think CCY and CCA are not big threats to the CNT like LYJ or TH, I can only see them putting up the most resistance and probably a shocking outcome against LGY or probably WCQ (which is getting more unlikely as he's very solid these days), As for FZD, ML, XX, or LJK it's very unlikely unless an off day happens, CCA has improved of course but I don't think he's at the level or consistency to challenge the latter four,I think the familiarity with LYJ is what made their recent fight a very intense one, And the thing is for doubles CcY/CCA or LCT/LYJ are not as strong as ML or FZD paired with XX, And as in the Japan match with XX vs TH the first match, the CNT may be keen to quickly match up the player with the better record against their main opponent as early as possible in the matchup, So for example although unlikely CNT can match up XX vs LYJ, and that's the match that decides if it's a fight or a walk in the park so either side will go all out, if XX wins, the other two matches will be strolls to victory, that's how this matches end quickly, If LYJ wins, it gets interesting, And we'll see if either of his teammates can get a win cos if CNT win the doubles which is most likely, even if LYJ wins 2 singles matchups( in the case of CCY/CCA playing doubles) which will be a very difficult task in itself, It's very unlikely CCY or CCA will secure a third win

Reactions: jawien
This user has no status.
I think the only way for the rest of the world to beat China in a team event would be to have an international team comprised of the biggest threats to China like LYJ, Harimoto, Calderano, Boll and Gauzy (maybe only threat to XX). Chances would still be low, but definitely higher than one country beating them.