LF All Wood Blade like Korbel but with smaller head size

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
The Donic Waldner Senso is exactly the same composition and thickness as the Korbel, but it might be a little head heavy beause of the senso handle.

Xiom Offensive S seems to be Limba-Ayous-Ayous so it might be a little softer and slower.

Tibhar Stratus Power wood is a little thicker thus a little stiffer and faster.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
If I recall correctly, OP NextLevel has been subject to physical limitations (knees) and is adapting his technique and equipment to cope. For most of us not suffering this, the "power from the ground" mantra is key to getting explosive movement (swing speed) using whip mechanics for power and recovery.

Physical wear and tear changes this. When not powering that swing using a leg, hip, torso whip, things get different and a different weight/balance might help mitigate. Lighter (and hence softer) rubbers would be the goto change, but I think OP already did that and wants to go further from there. Right, NL?

I think OP has a pretty good idea about what he needs, and a custom-built Virtuoso or a sanded down/beast-modded Korbel might just be it. An exorbitant number of excellent 5-plies exit, sure, but head size and blade balance as requested, well, no.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
You can try Tibhar Lebesson. It's a bit stiffer but feels simmilar to korbel as for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I am interested in why you Do not like headheavy? Can not move the arm fast enough? You look like a strong Guy! Maybe not suitable very close to the table. But van get good power in shots with headheavy i think.

Have Tried for a while? Maybe you Will adjust?

I also think that if you have kneeproblems Maybe you want something faster so you Do not need to Do as much weigth transfer. But then the ball Will also come back faster so need to move faster.

If I recall correctly, OP NextLevel has been subject to physical limitations (knees) and is adapting his technique and equipment to cope. For most of us not suffering this, the "power from the ground" mantra is key to getting explosive movement (swing speed) using whip mechanics for power and recovery.

Physical wear and tear changes this. When not powering that swing using a leg, hip, torso whip, things get different and a different weight/balance might help mitigate. Lighter (and hence softer) rubbers would be the goto change, but I think OP already did that and wants to go further from there. Right, NL?

I think OP has a pretty good idea about what he needs, and a custom-built Virtuoso or a sanded down/beast-modded Korbel might just be it. An exorbitant number of excellent 5-plies exit, sure, but head size and blade balance as requested, well, no.

It is not just the knees. RA affects many joints for NL. The shoulder is another area that I am pretty sure his RA affects.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It is not just the knees. RA affects many joints for NL. The shoulder is another area that I am pretty sure his RA affects.

Yeah, my fingers were the first to go and I still have to reset my wrist a few times a day. Every joint you can think of is impacted. I play because if I stop playing, it feels like crap when I have to start all over again. But no matter how I look, my body has a lot of damage. All joints.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The easiest way to balance out a blade that is a little head heavy is to add grip tape.

However, NL likes the bare blade in hand kind of feel, so it is not for him.

Other way to go is to sand down the size of head by a mm. That changes balance, but changes the feel and performance entirely !! Sometimes it happens in a good way, sometimes the result is not favorable.

Another way to go is to take off a handle piece and see if it is hollowed out. Many blade makers do this to control the overall weight of the blade. I like filling in the space with hide glue and toothpicks to add a small amount of weight... more toothpicks for smaller weight gain... but fill solid.

If the handle piece is not hollowed out, one could scrape off some of the wood where it meets the blade and add glue/toothpicks to fine tune the weight gain.

I think NL would have the balance he wants with just a 5-6 gram increase down low... that is a very light increase from a minor beast mod. Could be done with one handle piece or both adjusting weight lower by adding more toothpicks while still filling in open space completely.

The trick to taking off handle pieces cleanly is to use a heat gun and work slowly and steady with no rushing.

Ultimately, I think NL would achieve his desired results by adding a tiny amount of weight low.

Grip tape is the no-brainer safe/easy way to go, but NL rolls with bare blade, so the only realistic way to go if keeping the same blade is to add the right amount of weight low.

Lula wasn't on the forums when we discussed the Beast Mod and why I do it... why it benefits the player.

My simplest way to say it is that the mod makes it so much easier to whip the bat and improves the feel at contact on a head heavy blade. Lula would have to feel it for himself.

NL is a big believer in whipping the bat, this mod improves performance in that area, it is worth pursuing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, my fingers were the first to go and I still have to reset my wrist a few times a day. Every joint you can think of is impacted. I play because if I stop playing, it feels like crap when I have to start all over again. But no matter how I look, my body has a lot of damage. All joints.

If you ever to come up to the NYC area, you definitely can try my V+ or any of my other OSP blades.

If you ever wanted to take a 1 day road trip from where you are, these days I am off on Saturdays (I know, a day off is kind of amazing after a few decades of working 7 days a week), so, if you came up on a Friday, we could go anywhere on Saturday and play.

Also, you can crash at my place. My daughter will be okay with that. We have the space. It would be great to see you, hang out, see how life is treating you.

Next time Der is in NYC we should see if both of you can stay over. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You're a great friend, Carl.

If you ever to come up to the NYC area, you definitely can try my V+ or any of my other OSP blades.

If you ever wanted to take a 1 day road trip from where you are, these days I am off on Saturdays (I know, a day off is kind of amazing after a few decades of working 7 days a week), so, if you came up on a Friday, we could go anywhere on Saturday and play.

Also, you can crash at my place. My daughter will be okay with that. We have the space. It would be great to see you, hang out, see how life is treating you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
So sad to hear it, but good that you keep getting exercise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Keep up the good figth nextlevel!

Would not a faster blade or racket overall Suit you better if you have trouble with the body? As long as you have good control i think it would work well and Maybe it would be easier for the body.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Just saying for those who recommended Xiom Offensive S, I love mine but it feels very clearly head heavy. It is the feedback I get the most when people try it (or just "heavy", though originally 89gr).
I still think Hadraw VK is a good idea as well as a small-head OSP as suggested. I personally prefer the V-King to the Virtosos but it's certainly more direct. Lebesson could work, SPW wouldn't but you already knew. Good luck.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just saying for those who recommended Xiom Offensive S, I love mine but it feels very clearly head heavy. It is the feedback I get the most when people try it (or just "heavy", though originally 89gr).
I still think Hadraw VK is a good idea as well as a small-head OSP as suggested. I personally prefer the V-King to the Virtosos but it's certainly more direct. Lebesson could work, SPW wouldn't but you already knew. Good luck.

If you like blades that are on the hard side, V'King is excellent. I am not sure NL likes that. But he can try my V'King as well if he wants to. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Aye, I had read your reviews before I tried it and expected even much harder but I think the flex mitigates that. The one I tried had max Aurus (really nice combo) and Regalis Red on it. I know, variations in wood, people and all that. A good thing you have done, though, making this brand (the word even feels wrong, it is so different) more popular.

Also, just throwing it out there: I have been looking at TSP blades for the longest time and, while I'll probably go with a SWAT in relation to what I am looking for, the Reflex Award 50 is one that got me very interested and for which people consistently mention the *non* head-heaviness. I haven't tried one, mind you, which is probably the reason I was interested in the first place. Just something both slightly off-beat yet fairly well established which you might want to explore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Thanks for the confirmation. I have tried the Offensive S and the Extreme S so I know they are head heavy. That said, it might just be that I use heavy rubbers. I just want to see whether there is something out there that I am missing with less weight in the head so I can use my fingers more actively without stressing them.

Reactions: Ioiettino
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Keep up the good figth nextlevel!

Would not a faster blade or racket overall Suit you better if you have trouble with the body? As long as you have good control i think it would work well and Maybe it would be easier for the body.

I don't have the touch. I wish I did but they feel like bricks to me. I might try a Carbonado 45 but that is probably at my upper limit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I don't have the touch. I wish I did but they feel like bricks to me. I might try a Carbonado 45 but that is probably at my upper limit.

How long have you Tried with a faster blade? I think it takes some time to adjust. So i think you can get better touch with time. Maybe try to hold racket more loosely sometimes. Find this important. To tense and the feeling are not there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017

What's the difference between virtuoso - and virtuoso +?