LF All Wood Blade like Korbel but with smaller head size

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Maybe I missed it, but have you tried the Azalea Offensive? Or some like it? Limba-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Limba.
Relatively fast and light. Does not feel hard.

I had a bad experience with the Eternity and would have sworn off Stiga 100% if the Carbonado series didn't have great reviews.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
NL would go goo-goo ga-ga over my setup with a newly replaced Batos (from 84 grams to 92 grams) with soft modern dynamic rubbers. At or away from table, pick Ur poison.

Still, NL is a dude who knows what he likes when he feels it. I still think adding a few grams to the handle on his well fitting and felling Korbel is the way to go.

Batos is a bit too stiff for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I bet your V+ has an even bigger sweat stain then!

Alright the VK is likely koto outer then. I'll have a talk with BTY tomorrow so they can confirm.
Yes please that would be great!! I am also interested to know whether VK has a thicker core than Korbel. I am looking at buying VK but I am not sure if it is less flexible compared to Korbel.

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yes please that would be great!! I am also interested to know whether VK has a thicker core than Korbel. I am looking at buying VK but I am not sure if it is less flexible compared to Korbel.

I'll call them on Monday morning. I kept saying tomorrow when it was Saturday and they're closed on Sundays.

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Lol thanks!! Glad to have experts around

I'm no expect, I mostly know Butterfly blades, what I've tried and a few classics from other brands which covers very little.

And I could've sworn the Hadraw VK has the same comp at the Korbel, but Carl raises a very good argument against that belief! So we shall see, I'll ask about comp and core size and hopefully they can give me an answer..

Last edited:
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Alright, so I called Butterfly France but their equipment expert is on break, so I'll have to call back later.

I emailed Butterfly Europe in Germany in the meantime and they answered me within minutes with the following message:

"The exact composition of our blades is our company secret (even if it can be found out by experts).
We ask for your understanding in that we cannot share this info.

However, the Korbel Japan uses a softer surface veneer with a slimmer core than the Hadraw VK."

Based on this, it is safe to confirm that the VK (5.7mm) is koto outer and therefore different than the Korbel which although a bit thicker (5.9mm), has a slimmer core. This explains the similar stats these two blades were given by Butterfly.

Apologies for my mistake and thank you to Carl and others for pointing it out.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Alright, so I called Butterfly France but their equipment expert is on break, so I'll have to call back later.

I emailed Butterfly Europe in Germany in the meantime and they answered me within minutes with the following message:

"The exact composition of our blades is our company secret (even if it can be found out by experts).

However, the Korbel Japan uses a softer surface veneer with a slimmer core than the Hadraw VK."

Based on this, it is safe to confirm that the VK (5.7mm) is koto outer and therefore different than the Korbel which although a bit thicker (5.9mm), has a slimmer core. This explains the similar stats these two blades were given by Butterfly.

Awesome thanks for finding that out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Thanks. I am going to try out the blade anyways based on your recommendations. Maybe the inner limba is more important than the outer Koto.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Thanks. I am going to try out the blade anyways based on your recommendations. Maybe the inner limba is more important than the outer Koto.
I don't think it qualifies as a hard blade, you'll have to decide whether you like the feeling but I'm pretty sure it is a blade you could play with.

Oh, pushing on with my TSP obsession, the Gaïa II also seems to have been designed with this focus in mind. Pure shot in the dark, that is.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Just out of curiosity, did you measure your Korbels or took the 158x152 measurement from the known blade specs?
And if you measured it, how old are they?
I ask this because, if I'm not wrong, my euro Korbel follows this 158x152 measurement, but my new Japanese one is smaller, as you can see in this very scientific demonstration:
much science.jpg

So I was thinking that maaaybe the newer ones have smaller head sizes, the same way they changed the handle size from time to time without telling anybody, you know?

BTW, I will make proper measurements when I change the rubbers, in a week or two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Just out of curiosity, did you measure your Korbels or took the 158x152 measurement from the known blade specs?
And if you measured it, how old are they?
I ask this because, if I'm not wrong, my euro Korbel follows this 158x152 measurement, but my new Japanese one is smaller, as you can see in this very scientific demonstration:
View attachment 19580

So I was thinking that maaaybe the newer ones have smaller head sizes, the same way they changed the handle size from time to time without telling anybody, you know?

BTW, I will make proper measurements when I change the rubbers, in a week or two.

I transfer rubbers across blades.so I can see the differences even when I don't measure them explicity. The Korbel head size is slightly larger like the Joola Viking or Mazunov.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Yeah, I did transfer the rubbers from the my old to my new Korbel, and the rubber have now a noticeable overhang.
That is why I'm questioning if maybe the newer ones are being made with a smaller head size, which might solve your problem.

You raise an excellent point.

The rubbers of my newer Korbel transferred exactly on my Harimoto ALC which has the same larger head size. On blades listed at 157 x 150 mm, I get an overhang.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

Yea, I might pick up a VK as well, I've been pondering buying one for a while, and though I had tried out a clubmate's in the past and thought it was similar to the Korbel, I'd like to give it a proper test now and see if the koto is tolerable for me on this blade, which it seems it might be.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
If I want a smaller sized head blade, I will just use the Lebesson with faster rubbers. But I suspect I am almost done. It is going to be the Carbonado, the Hadraw or the Korbel. The Reflex Award 50 and the Premium contact are thicker than I would ideally like. That said, I haven't tested the Lebesson yet.

I think you'll find what you're looking for in either the Carbonado or the Hadraw, or by having your Korbel trimmed.

I have a Lebesson and it seems very so so to me, quite slow and not the best quality, although I really like the handle look as a Frenchman! Lol. But at the price, it's definitely worth a try.