Anti or long pimpled rubber vs fast rubber like tenergy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
My son age 9 yrs is playing pro tt. He wants to make a career in TT . Shd he shift to anti on side & fast rubber on other . I was told that he shd do it at young age only . Pls advice .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I recall reading some years ago that the when the Japanese are training choppers, they are not allowed to use long pips until they turn 18, which forces them to learn proper technique with inverted. Stick with inverted, and be sure your 9 year old is having fun.

Yes, I think in a general case, that would be a sound advice...:rolleyes: especially at young age.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Sound like Madness to change from inverted at age 9 in my opinion. Should try to learn the basics somewhat good first. Maybe he have the most naturally best backhand the world Will ever see. We Will never know if he Do not get the chance.

And when he can Do all the strokes well after Maybe 5 years of playing you need to have a good reason to change to other material. Also need to have coach or someone that knows how to play with it otherwise he Will have a hard hard time.

Other rubbers that are nor inverted are also not as good. Not as forgiving, less marginal and need ro train more in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Even though I mostly agree with you, I did not want to be so strong against the idea right off the bat ... so I am waiting for the answers to my questions to him .. hope he comes back ... btw ... I have personally seen in india , coaches changing inverted to pips just because they don't have the skillset to teach the right backhand technique / don't want to or don't know how to get the player enough practice to put the backhand and forehand together or just because the biggest success in women's table tennis in india has come through a player who plays pips on the backhand ( Manika Batra ) ...

Sound like Madness to change from inverted at age 9 in my opinion. Should try to learn the basics somewhat good first. Maybe he have the most naturally best backhand the world Will ever see. We Will never know if he Do not get the chance.

And when he can Do all the strokes well after Maybe 5 years of playing you need to have a good reason to change to other material. Also need to have coach or someone that knows how to play with it otherwise he Will have a hard hard time.

Other rubbers that are nor inverted are also not as good. Not as forgiving, less marginal and need ro train more in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
It seems that many of the Indian National Team play with pips, either short or long, or anti-spin. So most of the coaches are probably going towards this as it is quite normal, or at least more common than it would be in some other countries. But I have to say that Manika Batra looked well beaten, largely because of the weakness of her BH, in her last match in UTT. But if he is a very good player, he may come under the coaching of Brett Clarke (currently in charge of the youth program in India) sooner or later, so maybe he should listen to what he has to say.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Thanks all for your suggestions . I think let him play with conventional racquet for another couple of years . He is training for 6 hrs daily . After that let him decide . Personally i feel the earlier the better . But still confused .

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What is the reason for him to change? I still think if he have developed his technique and he is naturally better at in example flat hitting short pimple could be an alternative. Do not think anyone should change without any thoughts why. Also need someone that have the knowledge how to use the material.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I play left handed .. never had inverted on the bh .. my defense is very natural .. very few unforced errors .. never had a coach .. only YouTube videos ..

My bh is very unnatural using inverted rubber. That is why I put long pips there. On the other side my 4h strokes come naturally so I use Inverted rubber.

If I play bh long pips right handed I have issues because my bh with inverted is naturally strong with many years of experience. It is hard to change habits.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think most people have addressed the Anti or Long Pips thing. Just not advised in today's game if one wants to go pro.

I want to talk about the idea of a 9 year old deciding they want to make a career in something and what the probably means.

1 - At 9? You're a kid. You could be into TT one day and the latest video game the next. Just be sure that's what they really want to do.
2 - I think the idea of trying to go pro in something isn't a sole decision. It's a team & family decision that takes dedication from all. As their parent, are you ready in invest the time & money it will take?

"That's a good question Suds. What would it take?"

Well let me help give you an idea.

There's a chance you might have to move or relocate to get him involved in a professional TT academy ASAP. Believe it or not, 9 is probably a little late to be making a decision like this and there are so many already at this age who might be well ahead of him. Are you prepared to pay for his professional coaching that's 5 days a week for hours on end? Are you prepared to be flying and traveling around to various tournaments on weekends for the next 10 years? Have you looked into the feasibility of this? Can they actually support themselves in your country doing this? How hard is it to get sponsorships in your area? etc.

All these question to be answered and probably more that I'm not thinking of.

My final thought?... There's nothing wrong with playing TT and training hard, being really good at it, traveling to regional tournaments and overall having fun. Even if you're not a professional player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
.. okay , so this is a classic example of a thread which puts me off from interacting. Somebody starts a thread asking for suggestions, you ask for more information , the guy decides this is too much work , let me just do what I thought of doing anyways .. and politely indicates don't expect a response from me anytime soon ..
Thanks all for your suggestions . I think let him play with conventional racquet for another couple of years . He is training for 6 hrs daily . After that let him decide . Personally i feel the earlier the better . But still confused .

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Reactions: lasta