Anti or long pimpled rubber vs fast rubber like tenergy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Suds . I really did not understand your comment as well . I was asking a genuine question about rubbers . I am very happy with the info i got from all the messages . Thanks all .

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Suds . I really did not understand your comment as well . I was asking a genuine question about rubbers . I am very happy with the info i got from all the messages . Thanks all .

I mean you just have to read it dude. I think it's pretty clear what I was saying.

- Others have addressed the question about rubbers. I briefly touched on it also.
- Then I addressed the idea of making a career in table tennis for a kid.

Sigh. I think i'm probably wasting my time here. Your vague, short, not very descriptive or of little content replies saying you don't understand either tells me you're trolling us or your reading comprehension just needs a little work. Sorry not trying to be rude here. Just think I'm pretty much done with this thread.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I really did not understand the meaning of your comment . Can you please elaborate .

Okay. Lets start with something simple:

IS THERE A REASON YOU OR YOUR SON'S COACH THINKS YOUR SON SHOULD PLAY WITH LP OR ANTI?

CAN YOU POST A SHORT VIDEO (UNDER 2 MIN) OF YOUR SON HITTING A FEW FH AND BH SHOTS?

If you can answer the first question, and post a short video, people will actually be able to help you better. Because, nobody here knows the level of your son. And nobody has any idea of why you would want to have your son use Anti or Pips.

Last edited:
Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I mean you just have to read it dude. I think it's pretty clear what I was saying.

- Others have addressed the question about rubbers. I briefly touched on it also.
- Then I addressed the idea of making a career in table tennis for a kid.

Sigh. I think i'm probably wasting my time here. Your vague, short, not very descriptive or of little content replies saying you don't understand either tells me you're trolling us or your reading comprehension just needs a little work. Sorry not trying to be rude here. Just think I'm pretty much done with this thread.
Dear suds u are really sounding rude . I never asked you to give me your insights on TT career . I clearly asked about rubbers not on career . u gave your opinion and u are expecting me to reply on the question abt career in TT which i never asked u in the first place .Actually i was being polite to you which you misconstrued . What i asked was rubbers . Not only you but all those who contributed hv helped me . I hv clearly n politely thanked all . Pls try to be polite or think twice . If u r going to be rude i can be twice rude too .

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I really do think that if you can explain what has made you think of Anti or Pips for your son, it would go a long way to helping people understand your side of the situation better.

I also REALLY think, if you could show a short bit of footage--under 2 min, could even be 30 seconds, that might be enough--people could help you better because they may be able to see why your son would be helped by pips or if your son would be better served by modern looping rubbers.

Without that, the info that people like Lula have given is all that can be said.

This is the general info: this is how it is explained by a lot of high level coaches: a player who has aspirations to reach the highest levels, generally, should not use pips or anti until he/she has all the strokes developed and a solid grounding in fundamentals: hence someone said, until about 18 years of age. That is just the general info. However, there are exceptions and there are times where there are reasons for those exceptions.

An example of one of those exceptions was mentioned by LordPippington. So, without information that is specific to the needs of your son, the only thing people can do is give answers that may not have much to do with your son. But the general info is, unless there is a real reason not to continue using smooth, then your son should develop for the next 8-9 years with smooth on both sides to develop a more complete game before specializing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
In my opinion there is No need to still discuss this. I Do not know everything But i am very sure that if this Young player want to develop well and have a possibility of a future in tabletennis he should keep inverted for a few years and try to learn the basics well first.

Then if a coach or someone with good knowledge about tabletennis and long pimple or and anti can see that this player would become better with another rubber i think you should change.

I also think it is easier to become better with inverted. In my opinion they have more margin of error. Pushblocking with long pimple or anti I also believe is harder to gain success with in todays tabletennis because it is less spin in the ball. But it works for some so nothing is impossible!

Once again i Do not know everything But have been a part time coach for kids for over ten years and i think that putting log pimple or anti on a 9 year old would limit his developement.

So keep the inverted rubbers. Good luck!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In my opinion there is No need to still discuss this. I Do not know everything But i am very sure that if this Young player want to develop well and have a possibility of a future in tabletennis he should keep inverted for a few years and try to learn the basics well first.

Then if a coach or someone with good knowledge about tabletennis and long pimple or and anti can see that this player would become better with another rubber i think you should change.

I also think it is easier to become better with inverted. In my opinion they have more margin of error. Pushblocking with long pimple or anti I also believe is harder to gain success with in todays tabletennis because it is less spin in the ball. But it works for some so nothing is impossible!

Once again i Do not know everything But have been a part time coach for kids for over ten years and i think that putting log pimple or anti on a 9 year old would limit his developement.

This is a good post. I agree with it. Even though I said the footage would help, Lula is correct.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

Thanks . I agree with you . Let him develop skills on conventional rubbers first . He won Mumbai city TT match with inverted tenergy fast rubbers but had a tough time against anti rubber twiddler oponent which he eventually won . A thought that came in his mind was if he had a tough time winning against a anti rubber a pro twiddler was it not wise to switch at a younger age then switch when u r set on conventional rubbers .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks . I agree with you . Let him develop skills on conventional rubbers first . He won Mumbai city TT match with inverted tenergy fast rubbers but had a tough time against anti rubber twiddler oponent which he eventually won . A thought that came in his mind was if he had a tough time winning against a anti rubber a pro twiddler was it not wise to switch at a younger age then switch when u r set on conventional rubbers .

No disrespect to players with anti or long pimple But i think they have more advantage in the beginning when players Do not have the experience to know how to play against it. I Do not think this is the case when players are older and much better.

We Do not know you level of your son But he is very Young so i Do not think his level could be very high. I think you take some time to think about his tenergys. In my humble opinion i think they proably limit his developement. He proably win alot now because of their speed But i think he Will have a hard time ro learn the correct strokes because they are to fast and to sensitive to spin.

What blade does he have? We Do not know his level But he is 9 and if he is not a new harimoto i think he would benefit from a slower racket. With a slower racket he learns ro create power and spin by himself, proably also put more balls on the table so he get to practice the strokes more. And personally i think it is a waste of your money because i Do not think he is good enough to really use them.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
India national coach is Brett Clarke... don't know if he is also coaching the cadet and mini-cadet squad... probably not.

I would think the nation of India has enough experience and judgment at the national level coaching staff to assess a player's skills. Sure, sometimes some system can get it wrong, but a good system is a good system.

Conventional wisdom points towards becoming real strong in fundamentals first before specializing rubbers like SP or LP or Anti or MP. That is a proven approach, but in table tennis, there is no single correct answer all the time.

Sweden coaches prolly HATED it when Waldner lobbed in practice hall, but it grew his touch and helped his interest and motivation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do not think a 9 year old get much attention from national team coaches. The fact that the dad asks questions here prove that even more.

Yes. No correct ways. But i think it smart to think about things and not just Do something. I like different ways. But he is 9 and thinking of using other rubbers because he played a Guy that had this.

Yeah, waldner proably got feeling. But if he had not listen to coaches Maybe he had Done this all the time so he would not have become so good. I also think he Did not lobb so much on purpose when he was Young. This man was very serious. Training funny stuff i think he Did when he was fat and old haha

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Do not think a 9 year old get much attention from national team coaches. The fact that the dad asks questions here prove that even more.

Yes. No correct ways. But i think it smart to think about things and not just Do something. I like different ways. But he is 9 and thinking of using other rubbers because he played a Guy that had this.

Yeah, waldner proably got feeling. But if he had not listen to coaches Maybe he had Done this all the time so he would not have become so good. I also think he Did not lobb so much on purpose when he was Young. This man was very serious. Training funny stuff i think he Did when he was fat and old haha
Exactly . A 9 yr old will not get attention. The fact still remains that he won a tittle in a official pro TT match . He wanted to ask that if pips are going to stay now shd he practise on them . Do they really give an edge . But all of u hv answered his question. He shd master inverted first . Hope i am correct .

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
No disrespect to players with anti or long pimple But i think they have more advantage in the beginning when players Do not have the experience to know how to play against it. I Do not think this is the case when players are older and much better.

We Do not know you level of your son But he is very Young so i Do not think his level could be very high. I think you take some time to think about his tenergys. In my humble opinion i think they proably limit his developement. He proably win alot now because of their speed But i think he Will have a hard time ro learn the correct strokes because they are to fast and to sensitive to spin.

What blade does he have? We Do not know his level But he is 9 and if he is not a new harimoto i think he would benefit from a slower racket. With a slower racket he learns ro create power and spin by himself, proably also put more balls on the table so he get to practice the strokes more. And personally i think it is a waste of your money because i Do not think he is good enough to really use them.

Lula, this is great stuff and I agree with you. Can you give an example of a setup you think would be right for the kid? Like one or two blade choices and 1 or 2 rubber choices. I think that would be helpful to Shailesh Wagh and his son.

Since Lula has the most experience coaching kids and since Lula has given the most useful info for Shailesh Wagh, I recommend that other people do not jump in and add their thoughts. It would only add more confusion. Having more than 2 blades and rubbers to choose from would make things more confusing rather than less.

I have a friend who was on the National Team of a country in Europe when he was that age and he said, he had no choice in his racket. The coach saw his play and gave him a racket. The racket was either Primorac or Gruba (I can't remember) and Mark V. And that was what the coach had him learn on. No equipment choice and an understanding that the racket was for learning and developing the skills. And that later, it would pay off that he was not using something more fancy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I Do not know everything But from my limited experience and humble opinion i think many Young players or players that have just started out to play(0-5 years) many Times have to fast equipment.

I think this limit their developement. If one 9 year old use tenergy and the other MarkV and they are similar in all other aspects i think it is more likely that the one with MarkV Will get better developement and end up as a better player.

If i train 9 year olds or around that age, or players that have just started out i would give them a premade bat then some allround wooden blade with markv. As long as it is good grip in the rubbers it should work well.

In my opinion the majority of players on this forum proably waste their money using tenegy because We are not good enough to really benefit from them.

I think it is a much much better investment for the OP to stop buying tenergy and use that money for coaching instead. Doing this i can almost guarantee that his son Will become a better player compared to using tenergys.

I Do not know the OP and his son But i hope you guys Do not forget it is suppose to be fun as well. Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
I Do not know everything But from my limited experience and humble opinion i think many Young players or players that have just started out to play(0-5 years) many Times have to fast equipment.

I think this limit their developement. If one 9 year old use tenergy and the other MarkV and they are similar in all other aspects i think it is more likely that the one with MarkV Will get better developement and end up as a better player.

If i train 9 year olds or around that age, or players that have just started out i would give them a premade bat then some allround wooden blade with markv. As long as it is good grip in the rubbers it should work well.

In my opinion the majority of players on this forum proably waste their money using tenegy because We are not good enough to really benefit from them.

I think it is a much much better investment for the OP to stop buying tenergy and use that money for coaching instead. Doing this i can almost guarantee that his son Will become a better player compared to using tenergys.

I Do not know the OP and his son But i hope you guys Do not forget it is suppose to be fun as well. Good luck!

Great advice. This is the type of advice I'd hope all tt pupils' parents read as well.